Ceramic Surfer | Arbor: Highground | Modular flight ready 12s Lipo 220Wh | Dual 5065 140kv | Surf Rodz RKP | 97mm | GT2B | Commuter

Screenshot_20181108-073113 Is this a war guys? :sweat_smile:

Screenshot_20181108-073807~2 :smiling_imp:

How many more sets do you need for these mounts to become a thing?

If we get to 5 sets it should be a go, I have not mentioned it anywhere except this thread so far with very little additional info. I will add some more info shortly. Been so busy at work, :sweat: I think we can get 5 pretty easy.

I am also considering making a motor plate also as the price was good on the hanger mount. Then we would have a complete surf rodz motor mount. Its just I have not designed it yet.

More photos info soonā€¦

1 Like

On the weekend I got to test fit the 3D printed version of the press fit mounts.

The plan was to be able ride them but I didnā€™t have the right screws and I didnt finish the support bars which I think are needed with a 3D printed mount to reduce flex and load on the mount.

So I had to remove and put my old setup back on for now. :pensive:

On the positive side, the marc88 motor plates fit good, the angle is good and @dickyho pulley can also be made to fit 70mm axles with a little modification.

Photo%20Nov%2010%2C%208%2058%2034%20AM Photo%20Nov%2010%2C%204%2025%2046%20PM Photo%20Nov%2010%2C%203%2050%2044%20PM

Didnt have enough M4 x 20mm bolts. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Photo%20Nov%2010%2C%209%2007%2025%20AM

Dickyho with chamfer mod to fit. Photo%20Nov%2001%2C%203%2021%2012%20PM

So I learnt a few things with the test fit.

• Distance between motor plates is 168mm. Should be good for 80mm length motors!
  • They are designed to fit faboy 36t and up pulleys, but dickyho pulleys can also be made to fit with some elbow grease. This is with standard 70mm axels. Other pulleys could work but you would need an extra spacer and 80mm axles, then your motor pulley will have to sit out a bit, so not ideal.
  • Did not test if the holes work for forward mount but its on the todo.
  • Should I investigate making motor plates also? Most of the hard design is done so I think I should at least get a cost on that.
  • Note my rear truck is a 45deg, so that may play into the angles the motor plates can go to.

For those who missed the info above, the plan is to do a small group buy of these press fit surfrodz RKP motor mounts. They will be,

• CNC from 6061.
  • Fit marc88 motor plates. (Might do my own plates)
  • Only fit surf rodz RKP 200mm hangers.
  • Fit fatboy pulleys. Dickyho pulleys can be made to fit.
  • Press fit, no clamp, as in just do up the axel and they are tight as a :tiger2:
  • $50 usd for a set of two, delivered by registered mail from hong kong.
5 Likes

168mm between the plates? That means we can fit these bad boys on there! And I will :smiling_imp:

Whoa, that is HUGE! You going to put that where? :flushed:

DD0BDBE3-DA67-4D29-88C5-7C0ACAC67129

Do you already have motor plates? Will need to carefully consider the center to center distance so it will clear the baseplate / kingpin. Forward or rearward mount? Fitting these in forward position might be tricky.

1 Like

I was going to attempt an inward mount. Iā€™m doubtful I can get it on a talon but Iā€™ll mock it up before trying. Was gonna CNC some thicc motor plates out of 6061 on the cheap using one of my universityā€™s mills.

Yes, I finished the support bars and got some M4X20mm bolts to attach the motor plates to the hanger mounts. This weekend I can finally test it out. :dancer:

Photo%20Nov%2016%2C%201%2040%2035%20PM

Pretty happy with the result for hand drilling. M5 tapped holes. 12mm Aluminum bar stock.

Photo%20Nov%2016%2C%201%2040%2044%20PM

4 Likes

Attempting a motor plate design to check the price. My goal was to keep it as simple as possible to machine and keep the short center to center distance I already have. To fit 5065 racestar and SK3 // 44mm spaced motors.

The tricky thing is with motor plates everyone wants a different center to center distance. But I am only planning to do a 10 set run so canā€™t please everyone.

The only downside I see with this short CTC is that it does not fit SK3 6374 in rear mount, you would have to use shorter or smaller diameter motors. The moc motors in the render are SK3 6374.

The blue line is 63mm and 50mm motor diameters. image

Rear mount with SK3 6374 image

Inside mount has plenty of room for SK3 6374

5 Likes

Printed version fits and seems to work for now. See how long it can hold up.

One issue I had was my belts where much tighter. My old trucks and mounts must of never been this strait! So I have had to use really small bearings on the idlers to get it to fit. Just a temporary solution, I now have ordered 290 my current ones are 285.

image image image

7 Likes

Iā€™m willing to get 2 sets, we just need 3 more to make these press fit mounts happen everyone, $50 is a steal!

1 Like

Thanks man! I will make an official group buy before friday to gather some more interest.

In the meantime I have started a google doc sign up sheet to get this going more official. Please check it works, I am new to using docs this way.

1 Like

The doc is currently read only for me edit: itā€™s now fixed

Update on the build. Since changing the rear TB218 to the surf rodz 45 the board is crazy stable I feel like Iā€™m going half the speed as before. So this is what a downhill board feels like. Itā€™s set up now 55 front 45 rear.

The downside is that there is one sharp hair pin on my commute that I canā€™t get around anymore without wheel bite. So going to +5 wedge the rear so will be 55 / 50.

One bonus of surf rodz is that I donā€™t need to carry a skate tool anymore as the wheels and kingpins only need a 5mm Allen key.

Only need these tools for the board now. image

By the way these Allen keys are awesome! I have used them for years and they still fit perfect. image

Oh and 290 belts came in. Fitment is great.

3 Likes

Since I need to print a new plus 5 deg riser I finally got around to putting my riser design on thingiverse.

I have made 3 versions.

• Plus 5 deg.
  • Minus 5 deg.
  • Flat, 6mm thickness.
4 Likes

Update after installing the plus 5 deg riser on the rear.

Still super stable at high speed, just a bit more carvey. I can make it around the u turn in my commute just with the wheels dragging a little but not biting. So I think I will just sand down the wheel wells a bit where they touch rather than run thicker risers.

Still kinda shocking how much more stable it feels over the tb218 at the same 50 deg angle. Feels like there is a bit more grip too, might be placebo.

5 Likes

hi - nice work on the press fit motor mount adapter. I need a set! Just filled the spreadsheet.

Thanks.

1 Like

Awesome!

@Quiles 1 @jasonbhuynh 2 @lrdesigns 1

We are really close to five sets so pretty sure the press fit mounts will be a go. Get ready to pay shortly and I can get the CNC shop start this week. I updated the sign up sheet, can you guys let me know if you want the plate holes pre drilled?

I think I will save the motor plates for early in the new year. To complicated right now.

2 Likes

Printed mounts been working for a week so far. I donā€™t think they will last forever as I am sure eventually I would hit a bump big enough to crack them. IMG_1464

4 Likes