CARVON V4 ExoDrive = TorqueDrive -- CLOSED

For other folks who joined this buy via PayPal, keep an eye on your last day to file a claim with PayPal. I just filed for a refund (goods not shipped) to make it within the cutoff period.

2 Likes

This is a surprise… image Guess he read my message saying I was about to cancel

Not sure why he’s been saying he’s waiting on the skull boards adapters either. image Anyone know what this connector is and the simplest way I can connect it to a unity?

5 Likes

When did you order and did you buy the wheels separately ?

I was apart of the group buy, and he just threw in the wheels I wasn’t expecting to get them. I don’t think he even sells them yet.

Looks like the motors came with MR30 connectors instead of the e-bike connectors(Skullboard connectors). The easiest thing to do to make it work with a Unity is to cut off the connector and solder your own 3.5mm male bullet connectors for the phase wires, the sensor connector can go straight to the Unity if you have enough length. If you want to get fancy you can also do a 3.5mm male bullet connector to MR30 female connector extension that connects the Unity to the motors.

1 Like

Did he really just send you a set of direct drives with no bullet connectors and the expectation for you to self solder them on? :face_with_hand_over_mouth::expressionless:

1 Like

This is normal. I got the Torque drives in a long while back which came with the e-bike connectors. I had to solder my own 3.5mm connectors for the FOC Boxes AND splice together the sensor cable connector to the ebike connector with non color matching wires. What Kyle got is actually way easier to deal with on a soldering level.

2 Likes

Most people here know how to solder some phase wires…

1 Like

Yeah I’m kind of just pointing out that when you buy an electric skateboard product it would make sense for it to have the correct connectors. There’s not really any way you could use those direct drives on a bike since they are mounted to the truck so having an ebike connector doesn’t even make sense. Just buy a Torqueboards direct drive, comes with all the right connectors and you dont have to keep an eye on your paypal for non delivery.

3 Likes

The Torqueboard Direct Drives come with 5.5mm Bullet connectors. The regular FOC boxes and Unity run 3.5mm connectors by default. Any way you look at it, some soldering’s gonna get done.

2 Likes

Haven’t torqueboards already been delayed once?

If you base the theory of building your board off of only two models of escs you are correct, however the unity already comes with bullet adapters because they thought ahead unlike the product that we’re talking about.

But in both scenarios, at least one end is going to require some form of solder. And if Jerry decides that he wants to use the MR30’s on his drives for future production boards, he deserves no more outrage in this instance the enertion does for choosing 3.5mm because their Raptor 2 uses 3.5mm.

2 Likes

I haven’t soldered a thing to run Torqueboards direct drives, the average customer doesn’t want to buy a product that they have to solder, maybe we do cuz we’re on a DIY site, but that doesn’t make it ideal for a market product.

You are clearly bias here. The TB direct drives come without the correct adapters for the unity anyway so they are literally in the exact same position. I assume these motors will have the MT30 connector as that is what the Carvon ESC uses with the Exoboard.

You are on a DIY forum for DIY electric skateboards. My Hummie hubs came with no connectors at all and the original vescs I got I had to solder the correct connectors too. Not to mention there is not set standard for bullet sizing and it is abundantly clear that nobody can agree to which is best.

What a stupid comment to make.

If you want to buy products with the wrong connections that’s your prerogative, I’m just pointing out that there’s a bunch of kids on reddit who will order this and not know what to do with a product displaying the wrong connectors. Maybe a large chunk of your customers will be smart enough to figure that out, but if you consider a large base who come from a cheaper meepo, backfire, diyeboards background, these potential buyers would be scared off of a product that isn’t plug and play or user friendly. Part of the reason I always liked Torqueboards products is that everything fits and connects easily (crazy concept, I know) it’s the reason I sponsor the brand and loved their products from the start. If that’s bias then call me bias, but an ebike connector as standard for a direct drive made specifically for esk8 is by far the dumbest thing I’ve heard today.

I use to be one of those folks on Reddit who didn’t know jack shit about these drives and connectors. But I ordered one determined to make it work and you know what? There’s a shit ton of information on the internet and especially on this builders forum. There’s a community of people working together to solve the same problem and solutions are all well documented. If you want to build something with the least amount of effort, sure you can order everything from one place where all the parts go easily together but you’re severely limiting yourself in terms of options. Those ebike connectors are the same connectors found on Boosted boards known for its waterproofing and ease in the disassembly/assembly process.

1 Like

I agree that it should come with common connectors like 3.5 of 5.5mm bullets, but it’s fairly easy to change them out. Listing what it comes with is a good idea too.

2 Likes

That really depends on your definiton of “wrong connectors” If Jerry is using the Meepo ESC for his boards, then again, he is no more wrong than Enertion doing so for his Raptor 2.

Fuck those kids on reddit (please note I too am a "kid’ on reddit)

I mean honesty, if anyone is ordering anything from Jerry at this point…

Let’s step aside from the fact that no one should be ordering anything from Jerry right now. Jerry directly marketed the Drives on here , the forum , the DIY forum. Reddit on the other hand was marketed with the full indiegogo board.

While my lazy ass is the biggest advocate for plug an play, anyone from reddit who decided to order the drives should know full well that they might have to get down and dirty form any DIY product so long as it is within operational boundaries. Is it messed up that Jerry didn’t deliver 100% of the promised full product’s description, Yes. Is the expectation from the vendor that the consumer might have to do some soldering in a DIY community wrong? No

Sure if you use TB parts, but unless I order Jlabs or LHB to do 4mm Bullets on my focboxes (I rather eat ass than use the TB VESC) some soldering is going to have to be done.

@moderators

Might be time to split the thread because I would advocate that ebike connectors are in many ways better than bullet connectors if were doing it boosted style. So long as it can deliver what it needs to, it’s better looking, less parts to go wrong , and easier to swap.

3 Likes