General Carvon Thread - V3 - V4 SD - V4 XL and future products

Can you do sensored with FOC? If so, what sensor type should I select in BDLC, encoder or hall?

Yes senosored FOC is the stock settings that the EVO2’s are shipping with. V3’s come with Hall sensors.

1 Like

I was thinking today That that it would be interesting to put V4 torque drive one the back and v4 speed drive on the front both with 107mm Abec wheels.

Yeah, I am contemplating that even though Jerry has cautioned against it as untested what the different KV motors will do. That said there are several threads about using different KV motors (search UDR uneven dual rear drive, or UDD) and they seem to work well…but have not seen in 4WD…

@BigBoyToys what do you think?

1 Like

Are the v4 speed drive shipping yet?

I think it would work. I can put V3 speed drives on the front and V2’s on the back and let you know how that works if youd like. There is a 40kv difference there which is greater than the difference between the v4 torquedrive and V3 speed drives.

I think 4wd V3’a would provide adequate torque though.

2 Likes

Not that I know of.

1 Like

Yeah, you are probably right on the 4wd V3 torque, but I am thinking about coming at it from the other direction. Pulling together parts for my 4WD V4 torque drive build, and interested in pepping it up with V4 speed drives in the front. Might provide an interesting comparison as well, for while I wait for my Revo lol!!

If you get a chance to try the V3/V2 configuration, would be great to understand if that works OK! Meantime I only have V2.5s here to play with.

1 Like

Yeah im curious to see if the V3’s start regenerating once the V2’s pull them them past their theoretical max rpm but I dont think it would happen because the V2’s only hit about 70% max rpm with me on it and thats still slightly under 100% for the V3’s.

3 Likes

The other thing I am exploring for this build is ways to switch between 2wd and 4wd. Basically interested in switching down from 4wd to 2wd to save battery. And if that would even be the case, and if so then how much more battery 4wd expends than 2wd. I have seen it touched on by a few threads in past, but recently have seen some DIY have motor specific switches, where dual rear drive can be easily switched to single drive (to save battery).

@caustin I’ve done experimenting with dual 190kv motors on a 10s3p pack. With a single motor running, where I removed the belt for 0 drag, I actually used more battery on a 6 miles run with moderate hills, top speed of 16mph and average of 12 mph that with dual.motors. I assume.its the amperage hit on hills.

2 Likes

How cool would it be if VESC had automatically run additional motors if needed. ehhh…just dreaming …

I can suggest an easynway to do it. Run 1 receiver for the front motors and one reciver for the rear motors and just put a switch inline with the ppm grounds to each receiver. 1 switch on = 2wd, 2 switches on = 4wd.

1 Like

I got to check out the Carvon EXO in person today with V4 torque drives. Good looking boad with an even better sounding price. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yes, I was just discussing this today! Dual motor vesc with built in reciever, antispark switch, bms and charging port. Id pay big bucks if someone built that all into a nice package.

1 Like

I just saw that they are planning to use Koowheel guts with the V4 speed drives on the EXO. Does anyone have experience with Koowheel ESC and batteries? I’m wondering if that would be the Achilles’ heels for a great drive system.

1 Like

In terms of the power or the reliability? The Koowheel battery is 10S2P, I had a 130lb friend test it last week and it had good torque and about 20mph top speed. If you dont need a board that goes over 20mph it seems like a good buy. The torque drives seem to make good use of the low amps from that battery. Also the known battery disconnect issue with the koowheel is addresed by adding carbon fiber to the bottom of the deck to stiffen it. Seems like a great deal for $699.

Extra batteries arent much either, like $170 or so. I think the board would gets like 10miles per battery.

3 Likes

Thanks for addressing that question. Reliability is the main concern, but at $700 It is a great deal just to get the V4 drive IF Jerry decides to not sell them individually any more since they are priced at about $600 right (my V3 was $500 on KS, add $100 gets me V4)?, I usually ride at 18mph but It’s sad to hear that at 130lbs he only got to 20mph, I hover at 205-210lbs so that can’t be good for speed and range on one battery.

The exo didnt have the CF reinforcenent yet so I didnt dare step on it at 280lbs but I think it would easily hit 18-20mph with me on it as well. The 20mph top.speed is mostly due to the 10S voltage of the Koowheel battery. If it was run at 12S it dont think the Torque drives would struggle to hit the 24mph mark as stated by Jerry. From my range comparisons with lighter riders on my boards, it seems rider weight doesnt have a huge effect on range for cruising at constant speed. Weight does make a big difference in rides with a lots of stop and go and a huge difference on rides with hill climbs though.

1 Like

@Mikenopolis

I rode this board yesterday lol

1 Like