Carvon Direct Drive Tuners Thread - Share your tips, tricks & recommendations

I do the same all the time, it was just freaking me out to se line by line showing up.

That’s the only valid for drag caused by frontal pressure. above 30mph you start including rear vehicle vacuum, over 50 you start including side friction from viscosity and above 70 mph you start computing all turbulent working on vehicle. I create lories so for me it’s 56mph top and I don’t have to worry about most of computing, neither customers care - they want cargo space … of course we put effort in limiting front coefficient and rear vacuum ( by shaping the box to have a slope down) but there is only so much you can care about. Hence up to 70mph I use this rule of thumb, over that everything goes out through the window.

Don’t worry I’ve got a guy that is a phd in darn things and he made a nice fancy spreadsheet for computing that. I’ll ask him whenever he can give it out without NDA might be helpful for some.

PM vs SR motors:

• on pernament magnet - faster you go, the faster magnet passes you windings and that inducess currents that might work against your
  • on switch reluctance motor - you induce magnetic filed in rotor so you can drive it int he fashion that makes it die off before even approaching next winding.

Anyway, to give you and example: we buy a system from some company (can’t name them) and they clamp down motor at 9200rpm (9100 - 9200 is torque cut of point) WE run some numbers and it came out that their motor can go up to 12000 rpm before they will hit 30% loss on flux (and could easily do 11K) but their inverter did not had enough of switching frequency and they clamped it down on 9200 because it was where system was crossing 10% inefficiency on switching losses and not hitting sweet spot on the motor in term of when matching voltage wave to what motor needed. They could switch to DTC drive but then they would loose 10% across the rpm range due to waking it with square wave. On the other hand Switch Reluctant motors are not as bound by that problem because there are no magnets so you have to induce field via eddy current - but because of that you steer it how you like and with SR motor you have 6 set of winding so you have a lot more options … you can easily spin those to 200.000rpm without breaking a sweat.

So going back to vesc - problem here is that everybody just take vecs, connect it to motor and drive it to red line … motor will run at max rpm but you don’t know how much you lost in power … it only shows up under load where 20% actually adds up to a noticeable number (answer here is dyno, but for eskate - c’mon). So if anybody would connect a “perfect battery” (no voltage drop, always any current you want) you could drive motor on bench to max Kv number. With the driver on it will completely different ball game - when at max speed areo drag + rolling drag > max motor power - % of losses = you will not achieve max speed.

I know you know that :slight_smile: But that’s why when I would compute anything for my self I would consider that well made motors will do up to 80% rated rpm with less than 10% flux switching.

1 Like

Sorry for me and @PXSS eating the thread. Do you mean motor bearing or wheel bearing ?

no worries at all. I mean for the wheels. I have some nice 97mm flywheels set aside for when i get my set of v4 XL’s.

It has step down Axles.

stepped down to 8mm like regular trucks ? Site says down to 10mm.

It has stepped down axles to 10mm. So yeah, you would need 10mm bearings for your wheels, I asked Jerry that question earlier. Will let you know what his suggestion is.

Great thanks. Appreciate it.

Ah now I see the question. https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-pack-10mm-Large-6900zz-Longboard-Bearings-downhill-big-pro-cruise-Abec-7-6900/272157865728?hash=item3f5ddf7700:g:jJwAAOSw2xRYl1RA:sc:USPSFirstClass!21146!US!-1

1 Like

Some leftovers :slight_smile: unfortunatelly only 4C max so not useful for this application. ( cock measuring over :stuck_out_tongue: )

Anyway,

sounds about 2.8£ Good to know their link. Cheers.

Going back to lipo, I was considering 6 ~ 8 of those:

cost for 6: 221.46£ cost for 8: 295.28£ at least there is a hard case so compressing them becomes secondary.

or 6 of these:

same price, different pack configuration and can possibly go for 9 (which would be my preference)

re: bearing - I didn’t know that I assumed 8mm … f*** … thanks guys …

Thank you !

Actually it might be a good time to ask - what about a front truck ? would be nice to keep the same “geometry” … I’ve got spare set of paris trucks but those are 8mm shaft … will is go with 107 fly wheel ?

Jerry uses funbox rkp on their EXO board, I may go with something from Liquid trucks since they are the ones who machine their rear truck

http://www.sk8trip.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=LT&Category_Code=trucks

yeah … which ones :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve just seen the price @#$^@#$^#$%&@#$%@#$%&#%^!$#$@# 399$ !!! I thought that paris truck were expensive.

I would not trust Zippy! I have bought a few for some small quads and they always come with a dead or weak cell in them. Very shady stuff. I’ve never heard of the Basher brand…

I know a guy that does rc car racing and swears by them ( and they are cheaper than turingy :smiley: )

1 Like

I am thinking of going with the Paris Savants. Forged Aluminum is pretty strong and paris trucks are industry standards.

But do you know whenever they all the same angles etc ? also paris truck AFAIK are only 8mm

Only longboard pros going crazy fast use 10mm axles. Kinda overkill unless you plan on going 60, then you better be spending 300 dollars on a custom front truck :smile:

Yeah but I’m based in UK … and if there is something I can say about Great Britain is that it’s not so Great for people walking / cycling / skating … pavements are freaking narrow, generally look like a fucking moon surface, I continuously have to go though badly done kerbs, inclines are up to 35% on some parts of my commute (skating down there is for insane people)

(and I’m fat :X)

so 10mm makes sense to some extent

1 Like