Carvon Direct Drive Tuners Thread - Share your tips, tricks & recommendations

Torque drives for torque, and speed drives for speed. Seems pretty simple to me

1 Like

And now the XL

Remember also the v3 it will confuse people if they just jumped in the Carvon conversation

V3 is basically the same as V4 speeddrive right ?

1 Like

It only refers to the whee adapter not the actual motor

1 Like

So I have been riding on my Carvon v3 speed drive for 2 months and would like to offer some insider info in terms of setting these things up.

1. Make a battery that can handle high amperage, it makes a big difference in acceleration and braking ability. I have a 12s4p LG HG2 battery pack with no bms, so I run the VESCs at 50 amps battery max for each. When I race my friend with a carvon evo complete, I run past him on acceleration like you wouldn’t believe. The evos are limited to 25 amps per vesc (50 amp max on bms) and have a 12s3p samsung 30q battery pack.

2. My friend with the evo is running sensored FOC, I am not because one of my sensor wires is bad. We both went on an endurance run to test range, he got 25 miles of range, and I got closer to 30 miles.

3. With 90mm flywheels I have logged a top speed of 39mph, and with 97s I have logged a top speed of 40.8mph. I still want to see what speeds I can achieve downhill with proper bushings.

4. The bushings that come on the V3s are 85a cones and in my opinion not great for high speed skating at all. After researching downhill skating setups (bushing shape and durometer, and flat vs cupped washers), I decided to go with venom HPF double barrels front and back. The issue is that the barrels require a wider washer than cones, which interferes with the the motor on the truck hanger, limiting the turning ability of the truck. Here are some pictures for reference:

5 Likes

I read that as Carvonsation

2 Likes

It’s working lol

so are you running FOC uncensored, or bldc?

that’s cause you got an extra P pack right?

Are your weights comparable? Is your braking also crushing his?

Thanks for the report, awesome.

I am running BLDC and love it because of the sound. Here is a video of me accelerating from a low speed:

And for the people who want to roll in silence:

And yes I have better range because my pack is 12s4p (12AH) and the evo is 12s3p (9AH). My battery is also over a year old and I typically ride very aggressively, so I’m sure I could go a bit longer with new cells.

My friend has 40 pounds on me, but we have switched boards and mine still pulls ahead. The braking on mine is probably 25% more responsive, but braking on the evo is definitely sufficient, it can easily throw you off the board if you aren’t ready.

1 Like

I think it sounds like a Tie Fighter when braking hard, love it.

@tomtom13 did you see the thing with the XL thing? Lol

@Michaelinvegas are you doing this to wind me up ? :X

I’ve just bought online from you guys, so I’m not part of group buy. I also shelled out more than part of group buy … thanks for letting me know that I’m coming short here.

Just a side note, can people stop saying that they run BLDC / FOC ??? they don’t run BLDC because BLDC is a combination of (a)sync 3 phase motor with DC to 3 phase inverter !!! The proper name is DTC

To compare, when I’m hearing people saying that is like they are saying “I’m running Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) / Compression Ignition Engine (diesel)” while what they mean is: “I’m running Spark Ignition Engine (petrol) / Compression Ignition Engine (diesel)”

3 Likes

Don’t get too technical in these forums or people will chew you out just because you know a little more than them.

1 Like

I know … and I think you already know that I know … you should also know that I don’t really care as well :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Could you please correct typo in the name you’ve got on you tube title ? makes search a bit easier

censored -> sensored

I do? You know i know you know i do? what? lol