Carvon Direct Drive Tuners Thread - Share your tips, tricks & recommendations

Is there any way that is known to possibly get in touch with Vedder? I am under the impression that the main thing that is preventing us from doing anything above a 12s is the VESC… but I’m sure that people use his VESC for e-bikes and they definitely go above 12s… I would think that he would explore the possibilities of different battery setups. Is it the BMS, and if that’s the case, coudln’t we just get one developed for higher energy output?

Also, what about what I said about just charging the battery pack to say 80% that way even with regen, it wouldn’t exceed 60V

Depends how much the components are - if components cost 20K then same engineers will have managment breathing down their neck to get it to 90% of usable range … but bad practices in engineering environments are a different story and I agree with you that 60% is a happy point to be in.

ps he quoted me so it’s was my statement that could miss lead.

1 Like

Technically speaking, if you will take a cell that is at 10% and start charging it with high enough current you will reach 4.2 :smiley: so it’s very complicated.

I’m on SuperMagnetMan.com and am looking up magnets, (I was considering what it would take to build my own hub direct drive motor) and they are saying they can do the whole project with their motor magnets… You think they would be able to build me a one off , or rather a four off motor’s for a reasonable cost, or would that be an astronomical price…? LOL

Usally you would have had to played around with motor’s (kv) to kinda know what your doing because if not in the end you’d probably spend more money on your mess ups than the market direct drives.Second I think diying it well… u do save money but I’ve never really seen how much more do u save , if it’s close to market value not worth it if u can build it cheap and afford the mess ups and still not come close to the market price sounds like a good plan.

Does anyone know of any good deals on a matching front truck? Preferably in the EU. Also looking for 90mm abec11 wheels for the V4 SD. Or should I go for 97mm… cannot really decide.

I use 97 mm everyday and it’s a good compromise. With the bad streets of my city 90 mm are too low and will lead to clearance issue imo. I will personally use 107 mm with 4WD in the future

So, what’s the recommended front trucks for the speed drives?

Looks like the Evo comes with a Surf Rodz 200mm RKP front truck, so I’m gonna go with that. I’m just not sure which axle length to choose. The Speed Drive trucks are supposed to be 280mm wide with 8mm axles, and the XL version is 305mm wide with 10mm axles. Not too many other options that wide out there that I’m aware of.

What are the pros/cons if having the front trucks narrower than the rear ? Or is it just aesthetics?

I hav narrower caliber 2, i just can’t tell any difference

I emailed Jerry and the evo exo comes with funbox rkp front truck.

1 Like

That’s weird. The Carvon website says it comes with surf rodz. And the widest funbox truck I can find on their site is only 190mm. Unless Carvon is having custom extra wide trucks made for them?

https://carvonskates.com/collections/boards/products/carvon-evo?variant=4359283310623

1 Like

You are right! Sorry I confused the EXO and EVO

The EXO comes with funbox rkp!

1 Like

I don’t think that the VESC and other RC controllers run DTC… They only do six-step commutation (with current limiting on vesc).

The sensorless commutation only sets the point, where you switch.

Maybe this explains it a bit:

The term BLDC mode comes from the earliest controll of brushless dc’s. Only block commutation was done, and this kind of set the term. As far as I could read, DTC would be wrong, as it is an early effort increasing torque control in brushless applications!

1 Like

The Evole Supercarve trucks have 305mm axles, just like the Carvon SD XL. They are dual traditional kingpin though, and the SD XL are reverse kingpin, if that matters

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a little leery of the high speed stability of the Evole trucks. The Torqueboards 218 trucks are actual 305mm axle to axle, so I’m gonna start with those and upgrade the washers, bushings etc., and see if that’s good enough.

I have a Carbon GT and the trucks are really, really nice, I also have a another new pair of the trucks on a DIY but it’s not done yet. I’ll let you know soon enough how they are :fleur-de-lis:

1 Like

The evolve trucks are super sketch above 25mph. Ive tried swapping bushing, cups etc which some improvement but they definitely wouldnt be my.choice for a board that goes over 30mph.

5 Likes