Carvon Direct Drive Tuners Thread - Share your tips, tricks & recommendations

It’s $199 a pair so $100 for a single truck

Considering cycle life, the graphenes might be cheaper long run?

Legit concern. Sounds like you should go with Psychotiller sixshooters! Mountain board 4 v4 xl motors. It would rock.

1 Like

You shouldn’t be cycling/skating on the pavement.

1 Like

Maybe in netherlands / france / germany this will wash but not in uk due to road width and essentially fact that in uk drivers are way more polite on the street but have zero clue how to properly drive and they lack due care and attention.

I’m not going anywhere near same tarmac that cars use - I don’t have a death wish.

Also in uk skating and cycling culture is a bit better and people seem to coexist on pavement (at least in my city)

Well, that all well and good, but it’s still illegal to ride on the pavement. You have 0 time to react if someone steps out of a shop or something right in front of you. I cycled a lot in London and never had any issues with cars.

Try that in Chelmsford, it’s car orientated city … even speed limits in residential parts are at 40mph … I love it when I gun it down the dual carriage (running through the centre) but I’m not stupid enough to get involved in that equation.

I don’t even run in front of a shop for that reason, just need to it smart - it’s like with driving a car, you can see well ahead and there are no blank turns etc and you know the place perfectly - you gun it, you don’t know the area, there are blind spots, there is a distraction - you slow down well below the speed limit / get of the skate.

depends which part … try cycling in Barking or Romford and delivery driver will run you over, stop, get out and come back to spit on your corpse :slight_smile:

Is there any update about the urethane cover for the actual motor? I heard some people received their speed drives without it, but iirc that urethane cover is in the works? I have an XL speed drive ordered and Sam wondering if it will have this feature or not. Seems like a good idea…

I think it is a hit or miss. Gotta be lucky. My two 5000mah turnigy batteries both have one bad cell in them. Now rocking four 8000mah zippys… Most of those lipos come out of the same factory anyway.

I think the urethane is for the V4 torque drives on the Exo. The speed drives have the metal housing from the pictures.

That’s a bit disappointing. It seems as though it would be better to have something easily replaceable for a cover.

I’m going to be making PTU covers for my Carvons once I get them. Might start selling them of they work well

2 Likes

awesome! Be sure to post that!

Jerry told me that when the thane will be developed he will send some to all previous V3 orders so we can place them on the motor.

awesome, thanks for the update!

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to know more about this possablity for awhile now. I came across someone who said that at 14s the voltage would be just below what the max power allowed is, so if you were to only charge your batteries to say 80% (which apperantly they said is also good for longevity of the batteries) to avoid voltage spikes, you could do this in theory. Does anyone know any more about this possiblility?

REGARDING WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT

tomtom13

Anyway @Michaelinvegas I’m not sure whenever it was you guys but somebody claimed that they were in touch with vader because motors are based on XYZ motor which was used while designing vesc etc etc etc …

I’ve looked through design of vest, tansistors, controller chip, step downs and all this crap and it looks to me as vecs is designed for up to 60V. I would like to get in touch with the guys because If one would to controls voltages properly on battery, by standard this inverter can cake 14S setup and if BMS would control max voltage and clamping motor regen current one could easily make this setup 15S.

Actually ever since it occurred to me that if you use 12S setup and start regen and allow 12x4.2V = 50.4V max voltage on battery bus (be advised that some lipo will let you go over that) you still need to account for the fact that to be able to put current to the battery you need to:

• induce higher voltage on the inverter side
  • motor side actually runs in 3 phase so at maximum power transmission 50 V DC = (50 * square root of 2) 70.7 V peak to peak AC
  • inverter will produce very voltage with lot’s of spikes, and I don’t know whenever the controller rating is set for 60V continuous or 60V absolute at which internals will brownout on voltage going above 60V.

Unfortunately there is so much hardware manufacturer will put into a datasheet - you need to get test evidence to absolutely prove the design.

So yeah, I wanted to get int touch with Vader to get his input of some of this stuff … and 14S setups would help with few issues …

Don’t forget about inductor flyback in the motor feeding back-pressure into your circuit. 12S is already too much for the VESC circuit. 14S means face sliding on asphalt one day when you roast it because you’re running it over its limits. Most electrical engineers never put a component into service with more than 50% to 60% of its design voltage/amperage. 10S is already over that…

So if I was to test this, pretty much knowing that something will fail, what would most likely be the thing to fail…? I’d be willing to give it a go as long as it is pretty much anything but frying the motor. I don’t want to finally get my Carvon V4 SD-R’s and then destroy $600 worth of equipment!