Cant get motor pulley off

Cant get the motor pulley off iv the tried heat gun,levering it,pulling with a vice grip dunno what to do… need it off to change the motor… grub screws are loosened…it actually pulled the shaft outa place. i dont know what to do? I used blue loctite putting it on but heat shoulda loosened it 20181009_174814 20181009_174811 20181009_174817

Heat gun is weak. Use a torch

2 Likes

Yeah, hold a blow torch up to the pulley for a minute and all your problems will be solved :rainbow:

1 Like

heat +

2 Likes

My heat gun heats the pulley up to the point where it evaporates water very quick tho how hot does it need to be?

Nice I really like this one !

1 Like

How hot does it need to get ?

​450C

1 Like

Same problem here. No glue and no bolts inside the pulley and it wont loose :confused:

Heat until the loctite smokes. I have a hot air welder and a few minutes of directed heat on the pulley while turning it to cook it evenly gets even bearing lock hot enough to come off. Small gas torch would be good if you can’t get a powerful hot air gun. (Hair dryer don’t cut it)

2 Likes

Im using a black&decker 1750w hot air gun its no hairdryer but ill try that nice one…what dju use yo prey it off

1 Like

Cant you slide the motor out without removing pully on TB mounts?

I had similar problems with aluminum pullys. It was corroded on

Also completely remove the grub screws rather than just loosening them

Got it off kept the heqt gun on it for few minutes moved it around used back hammer to pry it off thanks for the help

3 Likes

Is there a key/keyway? If so, did the pulley slide in smoothly when you installed it? I had my pulley stuck once because the key didn’t fit the pulley well. I had to force it out and sand it down a bit.

In this case I think a gear puller is what you needed to use

2 Likes

@stormboard1 I don’t want to hear you more about the heatgun, bro. I’m getting pissed every time you mentioned. :grimacing::rofl: Forget about that piece of c…! Listen to our fellow forum members… use a T-O-R-C-H !

20171102112024_10825

…once you apply the flame over the pulley you wait 'till you see a little smoke coming out, thats the melting compound volatizing. Then you’ll be able to pull it out.

1 Like

image best method.

@pixelsilva you tired dude? :laughing:

3 Likes

Ammm ya the heatgun worked :wink:

2 Likes

Geeeeeezz!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

i’ve used these pullers but pulling against the flange will tend to bend or pull them off altogether.

would recommend 2/10

1 Like

that depends on the pulley though right?

I’ve pried of the flange on the TB pulleys, I’m sure the gear pulley would not work on those, from the looks of the first post and LHB’s post, those look beefier