Bypassing BMS of space cell to pull more amps

thank you for the input.

the reasoning i have is that we can get a 15A bms and charger and not to break the bank.

That’s a interesting idea. You should have no issues with discharging around the bms. My bms still works great on my space cell. I road with my laptop and the bldc program to Track my ride and see what amps I pulled, and I was consistently at 25-27 amp (per VESC, so 50-54 amps total) on steeper hills.

Personally, I like idea of discharging through a bms also. So if I bought a bms, I would likely buy one that can pull the amps I want. May I ask what bms your looking at buying?

this one or something like it http://www.bestechpower.com/384v12spcmbmspcbforlifepo4batterypack/BMS-D105.html

i have been using my batteries without a bms as for ever, but will like to make some packs for other people to use and that is when you need the easiest way to charge in order to minimize mistakes.

the inconvenience so far is that plug and play chargers with more than 5 Ah are really expensive and the space in the enclosure can be better use for more cells instead of a oversize bms.

That’s actually a perfect solution to my problem right now. How much are those guys? (I couldn’t find any prices)

i need to email them.

but from a group buy that some guys did, it’s not that expensive

this is what i like the most

Size (LWT) L70mm * W55mm * T7.6mm

I like the idea, becuase high amp 12s bms’s are really big. I don’t have that kind of space to spare right now.

this is a 12s for lifep04 if you are working on 12S li-ion they have this one http://www.bestechpower.com/444v12spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/PCB-D105.html

similar model but for li-ion

My reasoning is that we are putting 3-4 cells in parallel and then attaching the balance leads to this pack, if a cell is to have any complication the BMS will not act on this because it takes the pack as a single cell. we are taking a average approach to each cell pack within the battery, so why not do it on the discharge of the whole pack and let the BMS just keep the cells balance and charge the pack.

That makes sense. Discharging through the bms is pointless if you are using a VESC. I’m in the middle of figuring out how to keep my cells balanced, and I have little to no space to do this in.

Then this small bms are the solution for our troubles :slight_smile:

you already have done the REAL WORLD test on the durability of the bms when use on this manner. for the discharging getting good cells and good VESC configuration will take care of that.

for balancing the cells, this bms have balancing function. from the web page :

6.How balancing function works? after battery pack is fully charged. PCM will detect each cell’s voltage and trim higher voltage down until other cells reach the same voltage level. Therefore, it helps cells have longer service life.

Have you found a good charger to use with the bms? That’s the part I’m having trouble with.

i order this one from this guys http://www.batterysupports.com/36v-42v-5a-lithium-ion-battery-charger-10s-10x-36v-lion-lipo-p-166.html

it’s 5Ah