Bushing Set up Help

Hello @Alphamail, if you’re available, could you help with my setup?

1. Using these They are 45°.
  2. Don’t have info on duro. But bushing seat size is different from road side to board side. Road side accommodates regular barrel bushing(25mm) but board side is shorter and has a short cone with 24mm width.
  3. They are a little unstable over 25km/h. I would like them more stable.
  4. Cruising
  5. Loaded Dervish drop through setup. I have 90mm wheels and no wheel bite.
  6. 76kg

Thank you

2 Likes

Bushings are fairly low maintenance items but I would check them when you clean your board or every couple of months if they feel good, or immediately if they start to feel different than you remember. Inspect them for cuts or cracks and replace them if you find either. Cuts and cracks can propagate into a split bushing which can be catastrophic. Also replace them if they are also severely compressed! Inspect you king pin also for wear, cracks or bending and replace if any of those are found.

3 Likes

something came in the mail today… Can’t wait for the crappy weather to end. The pivot cup fit on the TB218 is perfect I’d say…

2 Likes

I would really like to see a picture of the boardside bushing seat please and can you measure the height of the roadside bushing?

@Alphamail, are these enough?

1 Like

That is the roadside seat

Edited my posts

1 Like

I also asked for the height of the roadside bushing (short cone) I think you posted the boardside barrel. Have you had your coffee yet?

@Alphamail, that’s what i showed you. Roadside bushing, like i explained in 1st post, is a barrel bushing, however, boardside is a cone bushing. Both have the same height but cone has smaller diameter. Here:

Sorry, perhaps I need the coffee. I am curious what they would use a board side cone. Will the larger diameter Barrel squeeze into that seat also or is it a no go?

Just tried it and didn’t fit :thinking:

1 Like

OK, I just watched their set up video…very complex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oSomITT_9U

If you have the ability to modify bushings to fit boardside, you will have far more options available to you. Otherwise you will tied to replacements from Brakeboard or just be satisfied with changing the roadside bushing which unfortunately influences the set up less than the boardside bushing. A Dervish is a very flexy board and it may be contributing to the stability issues you are having. Can you describe what is happening over 25km/h?

Ok so I’m down to try. I have two options I can just use a standard riser on the back for 35 or flip the angle to be at 23.

So 53/35 and 53/23 are two options. Any thoughts on either of them?

1 Like

Start with the 53/35

@torqueboards was kind enough to send me a pair of the TB 218 trucks and here is what I found:

The RipTide Caliber II pivot is a perfect fit. As for bushings, there are some surprises. The best fits are Cones, Canons, FatCones and Magnums. Our Barrels fit, but the Canons fit better and our Chubby does not fit well. That being said, here is a rundown on the most common options for a symmetrical set up (same angle front and rear)

With the durometer remaining constant the relative feel follows:

Cone / Cone: Extremely carvey set up, generally used for low speed pedestrian slalom, campus crusing Cone / Canon: Playful carving set up, good for commuting where tight turns are occasionally needed. Low to medium speeds Canon / Canon: Versatile set up for medium to high speeds, can be run loose for tight turns and tighter for high speeds. Response is very linear Canon / FatCone: Similar to the Canon / Canon but the response is progressive. Resistance ramps up progressively the further you go. Canon / Magnum: Extremely stable set up, meant for very high speeds or a heavier rider with a wide board

24 Likes

Shit, now I need to try out some cannons…damn Brad, great run-down…

I ran some bushings through the 218mm torque to try and tune them for my fat 200lb old manatee like body. I can really leverage that long hanger. After a lot of trial and error I landed on Barrel/Fatcone combo, 93a Kranks on all 4. I didn’t have cannons to test.

I wanted to feel lots of rebound and a balance between stability and liveliness to begin this setup. the fatcones help tame the added leverage of the long hanger, it’s non linear feel and progressiveness lends well here. I did try the chubby, but like you said, it didn’t work well at all except for constricting the hanger movement.

I need to stick some cannons in there and get rid of the deadspot, but barrels seemed to work in combo with the fatcones just fine. It’s what I had around already.

Remember that the longer the hanger, the higher your duro may need go in order retain the same feel you have on a narrower truck. Riptides harder duros are still plush, you just have to be a fat man to appreciate them and make them work…

1 Like

If you have Barrels, flip them so the sharp edge is towards the hanger, that will improve the fit!

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of that but I will do it, thanks! I always use the rounded side in the seat.

1 Like

It is a good truck to have in your quiver

So the caliber 2 pivots fit better than the Indys?

1 Like