Bushing Set up Help

Please let me know how it works out!

OK @iTzDiego, I have only ridden the Avenue trucks on a non powered board and they were not my favorite for the skating that I do. They do not seem to respond well to wedging and dewedging and I found sliding on them to be choppy so I rarely use them. In an eSk8 application, they may be fine but they are an unknown for me. Since the deck you have chosen is already wedged and dewedged 12 degrees, you have a lot to pick from but I am sure your choices are limited since you need to adapt a drive system to them. Do you plan on doing that yourself or use a truck already ready to mount a DD system to?

1 Like

I actually wondered that myself, so i did a little thread and ask the community about it.

1 Like

Good call, looks like you want to do this right!

1 Like
  1. Caliber 50s 184mm/10" with a Randal 35° baseplate on the back, with the rocker on the board it’s: 53.5° front, 38.5° back.

2. Still running stock bushings. Cone roadside, barrel boardside. 89a, I believe, with cupped bushing washers.

3. I currently have no stability issues at 24 kph/15mph, but am planning on doubling that speed. I’m looking for something that will be stable/safe at that speed.

4. Mostly commuting.

5. Loaded cantellated tesseract. With 1/2" risers and diy wheel wells, wheel bite isn’t an issue. I’m using 85mm Orangatang Caguama wheels

6. 74kg/163lbs. ~77kg/170lbs. with my backpack.

I don’t have the electronics on the board yet, but am looking to get ready for when they come in. I also want to thank you for what your doing on this forum.

EDIT: It will be a dual rear drive.

1 Like

@Alphamail Alright, I’ve got another one for you if you don’t mind. I figured I should probably get some good bushings for my push board while I’m ordering anyways. I’m ~170lbs, 6’4". Deck is custom made, non-powered, 44" long, 10" wide. 76mm wheels (no chance of wheel bite), 183mm Gullwing Pro reverse kingpin trucks 47°. Double barrel 89A bushings from RAD all around, just a flat washer. I have them super compressed for stability downhill so turning radius is bigger than a bus. I’d like to be able to turn a little sharper while still having some decent stability when going a little downhill. Thanks again!

1 Like

@Jellybean are you sure you have the truck right? The GW Pro series is a TKP .Do you mean the “Reverse”?

https://www.sector9.com/collections/pro-iii

Sorry, this is the one I have https://www.sector9.com/collections/reverse/products/10-gullwing-reverse-truck-1pc-pilloni-pro

As far as I can tell they’re the same as my caliber bushings, maybe just a bit wider OD but they’ve also been super compressed for a year

Yes, that is the Reverse truck

@AToasterOfDoom and @Jellybean, I will answer in the AM, Cali time!

2 Likes

First of all @AToasterOfDoom, your build choices sound great and we would be stoked to be a part of it! A 16 degree split definitely commands different bushings front and back. There several ways to do this depending on what the desired end result is. I often like to work with the shapes of bushings to achieve the results i am looking for so here are some options 1). Cone / Canon front, Canon / Conon rear. (Divey and nimble, a lively and setup. With experience, high speeds can be achieved) 2). Canon / Canon front, Canon / Chubby rear. (still very maneuverable but can run at quite high speeds also due to the replacement of he roadside Cone in front) 3). Canon / FatCone front, Canon / Chubby rear (still very maneuverable but can run at quite high speeds also with the added characteristic of having the front truck resistance more progressive than a Canon / Canon set which is more linear. Also it will return to center a little faster with the FatCone up front boardside)

For your weight and deck width choice, KranK or APS 90a for option 1 and KranK 87a or APS 87.5a for option 2 and 3 due to thee supportive nature of the larger shapes in the mix.

1 Like

Hay @Jellybean I am bit surprised that at your weight, 89a bushings and 47 degrees, you need to crank them down as much as you describe. 10" on the deck will definitely give you some additional leverage. 47 degree symmetrical setups can be run at high speeds with skill and experience so I suggest a more stable shape combination such as a Barrel /Chubby front and back close to the same duro as the stock. My choice would be KranK 90a since it is a bit more tunable than APS 90a but both are fun. KranK also has a bit more rebound than APS.

1 Like

@Alphamail Not bushing related but almost as important as bushings. I have a spare set of your caliber pivot cups. I know that the caliber hanger will fit in a randal basplate but is it possible to use these spare cups on a set of randal trucks

No worries @briman05, the OD is too small on the Caliber pivots, they will swim in Randal base plates! Basically .700" compared to around .750" .

1 Like

Thanks @Alphamail thats why I wanted to make sure. I will just throw them in my secret santa box for the gift exchange as I only have the one set of calibers

1 Like

@alphamail I’ll go with option 2 for now and adjust if I need more stability or turning radius. Thanks for the recommendations!

1 Like

Thanks for the help! I’m still pretty new to longboarding so it might be something in my technique or I just don’t know what I’m doing. I’d just rather be stable at speeds even if it compromises turning.

1 Like

Hey @Alphamail! I was directed your way for some bushing recommendations. I’ll be basing some of my answers off of what I currently ride, but the bushings I will be buying is meant for a new build.

1. SurfRodz TKP Trucks; base plate angle 50 (I think), hanger width 177mm. I’m ordering them from Psychotiller.
  2. Currently using orangatang nipples, medium, cylinder.
  3. Right now I’m stable with my current set up when going 10mph or so, once I start going pass that I do feel a little wobble (but part of me is sure it’s the way I’m standing as well). For my build I would like to keep the stability.
  4. I’m more of a cruiser, but want to test out speed (limiting myself under 20mph).
  5. Red Embers Caldera. I believe there shouldn’t be any wheel bite.
  6. I’m currently at 218lbs, but I am slowly losing weight.
1 Like

Hi @TheAwkwardLlama please confirm the truck choice as it will make a big difference in what I recommend. TKP’s normally do not exceed 15 degrees or so since the king pin axis and pivot axis are not perpendicular to each other.

1 Like

Hey @Alphamail I’ll get back to you on that base plate angle asap. For the life of me I cannot find the answer, even on surf rodz website. I found one site that reviewed it and they stated that its 45 degrees. When I compare it to other TKPs it looks like matches the ones stating 10-15 degrees. Right now I’m asking the place I’ll be purchasing it from and awaiting their answer.