Bushing Set up Help

Yes, I’m using the trucks for an AT build.

I decided to go with these both for the price and because I like the idea that an mtb can have the same type of bushing/baseplate setup as any other longboard.

2 Likes

Yeah if I were to make a atb I think I’d still go with standard longboard trucks and base plates. I don’t think id like how spring trucks would feel

Ok @kalebludlow sorry for the delay, we had some equipment rebuild issues this last week… I will recommend based on what is not what will be (Randal rear, deck and your eating habits).

I am going to recommend a symmetrical and asymmetrical (synthetic split) setup that will work work well if you decide to dewedge the rear truck also. I suggest you pick up a pair of KranK 87a Canons and a pair of KranK 87a Magnums and try several different setups with them to see what you like the most.

Symmetrical (Roadside / Boardside) Canon / Magnum front and rear Magnum / Canon front and rear

Asymmetrical (Roadside / Boardside) Canon / Canon front, Magnum / Magnum rear Magnum / Canon front, Canon / Magnum rear

2 Likes

Hey @anorak234, I am not familiar with the MBS ATS trucks, can you provide bushing seat pictures and accurate measurements of the bushings and pivot cups?

2 Likes

I’ll get pictures posted w/measurements in a bit

2 Likes

@Alphamail sorry to keep you waiting - hopefully I’ll have time tonight to get those measurements

2 Likes

No rush, I am swamped with other things anyway

imageimageimageimageimage Let me know if there’s anything else

1 Like

OK @anorak234, thanks. So the top (road.side) bushing is our Street height and the bottom (boardside) bushing is our longboard height. Looking at the base plate, unfortunately they designed in a recess which limits your bushing and washer shape choices. You might be able to circumvent the recess with the large flat washers we ship with the Chubby and FatCone but you might need to go with the Street height in that position also to compensate for the lost height. I suggest riding the setup with stock bushings first to see if there are any shortcomings and if there are, we will have a baseline to know what direction we want to go.

3 Likes

@Alphamail, RE SR RKP’s. I ordered a selection of bushing so I could try out some softer duros that I had and harder duros I was out of. I ended up using the hard duros This is what I ended up going with.

Board Side Rear : 96 Cannon
Street SIde Rear : 93 Chubby
Board Side Front : 96 Barrel
Street SIde Front : 93 Barrel

The effect is still not as carvey as I would like, but they are RKP’s. Its plenty stable and comfortable, has plenty of push back on lean and no slop. I think this essentially what @Sender is running as well on his RKP’s. Do you see anyway to improve on this setup?

2 Likes

I am rocking Rear: 96a Fat cone board side (with the included fat flat washer) 93a cannon road side (with cupped washer)

Front: 93a Fat cone board side (with the included fat flat washer) 90a cannon road side (with cupped washer)

I also have those Surf Keyz in there which do make them a bit turnier… aka more response earlier on in the turn. It juat sucks paying like $20 for two bits of nothing, lol.

I believe I am running essentially 50degrees in the back and 55 in the front IIRC, but it is not exact because of the combination of it being the Adjustable RKP baseplates with the 30degree kicks on the Lacroix deck.

Edit: Fatcones not chubbies

1 Like

@mmaner and @Sender how on earth did you fit a Chubby street side or boardside in Surf Rodz RKP’s? If you are using cupped washers on the Barrels, change to flats for more freedom, you can also do the same with the larger bushing, replacing the large flat washer for a smaller one.

2 Likes

i dont know, maybe I am remembering wrong. Ill check when I get home :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh fuck you are right… I am an idoit. Fatcones, not chubbies

2 Likes

@Alphamail, I’m looking for some advice on bushing setup. I don’t have all the parts yet for my new build but I plan to run 50 degree Caliber 2 base plates with TB 218 hangars on a landyachtz evo. I weigh 130 but always carry about 10 pounds of stuff in a book bag plus gear. I usually hit about 27-30 on my board however I tend to cruise around 20-25 while carving. I’d like to run a setup that’s right in the middle between loose and stiff.

1 Like

Hi Brad, I just got a set of surf rodz RKPs. I measured the stock bushing length and it is 1mm taller compared to the riptide WFB barrels I have. If I put in the riptide barrels it changes the truck geometry. I can of course use 1mm washers to take up the slack. Is there any riptide bushing that has the same length as the stock bushings?

1 Like

@ThermalChild I would suggest going with a pair of Canon’s up front and a a Canon / Magnum rear in KranK 87a so order 2 pairs of the Canons and 1 pair of the Magnums so if you prefer a Canon / Canon front and a Magnum / Magnum rear you can do that also

1 Like

@taz from my measurements, the SZ stock bushings are 0.5mm taller which represents a difference of .75 degrees over a 1.5" distance from the pivot ball center to the king pin center which is a nominal difference. We worked with SZ to come up with the FatCone shape and our stock height was never an issue. What I am saying is our stock height works great in them and the other variables such as washer thickness can alter geometry more than 0.5mm bushing height. In general SZ trucks could benefit from a reduction in base plate angle even the 0.75 degrees this height difference represents.

2 Likes

Thanks. Maybe the difference is due to the fact that the riptide bushings I have are used whereas the stock SZ bushings are new.

1 Like

What did you end up doing on your Raptor set up here @Eboosted Trying to dial in my R2 as we speak and was curious what you ended up doing on both bushings and pivot cups (which ones fit)

Brad @Alphamail I was hoping to get your input on my set up too and what you think would be best. Always have loved and use Riptide and currently have your bushings (the same front/back which I’m reading is not ideal right? It’s double barrel 93A B/S and 91A R/S with cup washers on top and bottom on the TB 218mm trucks with 97mm Abec’s) and I also run your tunnel risers on my DIY set up too. (& Stickers on my helmet, board, and iPhone case). Currently, my carving/turning isn’t great and would like a tad more on my new set up but i like how stable I am. I like having more stability though cause I am always riding full speed 25-35mph. Anyway, see below for additional info you asked for and get back to me whenever you have a chance. I greatly appreciate it in advance!

I Weigh 195 lbs Deck I’m setting up with my raptor 2 trucks & motors is the Moonshine outlaw I’ve never switched my pivot cups but would like to The other info you asked for is all above I believe but lmk if you need anything else.

Thanks again.

2 Likes