Bushing Set up Help

Thanks for the response @Alphamail, I mostly want to change the downhill board with the bear trucks. However I would like to get two possible setups for the tesseract, one that feels carvy like a surfboard but not too much considering the possibility of bite. I don’t know if it’s possible but maybe this would be the same setup, but it would be cool to be able to do some dancing too. That setup would be switch. The other setup would be for downhill and currently I am pretty shaky at high speeds even when I tighten the bushings so I would like high stability with predictable turning. This setup would be only in one direction. The caliber trucks are 44 degrees baseplate.

Thank you for the tips ! Well I’m converting a freestyle street deck into a kind of shlongboard with custom angled risers (dewedged rear and slight dewedge front), trying to end up with a geometry similar to Landyatchz Evo but in a sub 80cm format.

Due to current budget, I have to stick first with the 50° baseplates front and rear but I keep in mind the 44° baseplate upgrade.

About the FWD, well I got kinda sold by a redditer and @Deckoz when I read “it gives the closest feeling to an analog DH board” ! I’ll post it once it is ready to roll. (Edit : Btw it does kinda make sense to have a lighter rear IMO)

So my current truck angles would be 50° trucks, with modified angles à la Evo. What do you think would work best ?

1 Like

Hi @Alphamail would love some advice on bushings and also a link to where i can get whatever you’ll be recommending.

1. Barrel-Barrel Caliber 2 50deg.

2. Barrel- Barrel Orangatang Nipples (Yellow - 89A) with stock pivot cups.

3. A setup for crusing/ carving at low speeds (15mph ish) and a setup for stability during high speeds (>25mph).

4. Crusing/ speeding from time to time.

5. Using a loaded vanguard flex 2 42" with 107mm abec 11 74A wheels.

6. 72kg (160lbs)

I had to stop riding just to get online and thank you for your suggestions. What a huge difference! Stable as hell. Thank you sir!!

2 Likes

Hi, so Id love to get on this as well.

got tb 218 trucks and just ordered some caliber 2 44’s to put the base plate on the rear. all stock bushings so far.

Im 140lbs and have 42" skateshred drop thru deck that is top mounted right now with 1/2" risers, so no wheel bite and over all so far is fairly stable as is and just geared up to 18/36 and feel ok at top speed close to 30mph.

i like a lil speed here and there but mostly its my commuter and free ride board in nyc and i dig carving when the asphalt is nice, fresh and smooth.

current carving conditions feel like it grabs at the end of the carve right before I come back to mid line, very much reminds me of wake boarding or snowboarding when you carve kinda hard and the rail finally catches and gives a nice little spray, so guess id like it to be a bit more consistent than catching just at the very end, but fun none the less.

1 Like

Hey @Alphamail, I was hoping you could give me some advice on how wedging might affect my bushing choice. I ride a Meepo conversion on an Arbor Highground, with my front truck wedged 15 degrees, and the rear dewedged the same. From what I can tell, they’re basically Paris V2 clones. Right now I have it set up with barrels in the rear and barrel-cone in the front, using 88a Venom SHR bushings. I weigh 135 lb and they feel fairly loose and I have to be careful to prevent speed wobbles around 20 mph, but do not wheel bite.

I’m about to swap it onto a Landyachtz Evo with a bigger battery and plan to wedge it for the 50/30 split that deck was designed for (since I assume these Paris clones are at 50 instead of 35). At the same time, I plan to swap out the pivot cup for a Riptide 96a, and was considering getting a set of 90a Krank Canons too. Eventually I plan to swap the motors and ESC to get up to 30mph and want a setup that will keep me stable. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Hello @Alphamail,

I am looking for Pivot Cups for Avenue Trucks, both TKP and RKP versions. Do you produce them or know which ones would fit ?

Thank you for being active in this forum.

1 Like

Our Indy pivots fit the TKP’s but we do not have a fit for the RKP. It is really silly they did not use the same one since they are so close to each other.

Thank you very much. :smile:

1 Like

Hey @Alphamail I got your pivot cups and bushings and today I’m setting them up on my trucks, but I can’t get the Caliber II pivot cups to fit all the way. You said to get those, but the hanger needs to go down by a couple millimeters before the bushings will fit. Could I get some help?

1 Like

All of our pivots are designed to be an interference fit with the base plate so it can be difficult to install sometimes as it requires some forse to do so. I will often use a flat file to press against the open end of the pivot to force it into the base plate or even a vice. These are TB 218’s right?

Yes. I tried a pair of vice grips, but it didn’t work. It sticks out of the pivot cup seat by about 1 or 2 mm, and when I put the hanger on the kingpin it is too high up. I tried putting on the bushings and cranking it down, but if I look at the side profile I can see that the bottoms of both bushings aren’t properly seated.

Please email Tracey at [email protected] and she will send you a replacement pair of Caliber II pivots. If that doesn’t work, something might be up with the base plates.

Here’s what I’ve got; Jet spud 29” Surf Rodz TKP 177mm hanger with 60mm axles. Currently have stock medium (90a I believe) duro barrel/barrel 1/2” riser with kegels I’m 170lbs I have freebord bindings installed on the board so I can jump up curbs and over any obstacle I can find. Currently trying to get good at 180’s so I need to be able to ride switch as well. If I lean too far I get wheelbite. I have the kingpin tight enough so that it’s difficult to turn the boardside bushing with my hand. I think I just need stiffer bushings in general, this thing turns ridiculously sharp, anything above 10mph and it gets squirrelly. Wheelbite sucks when I don’t land a jump somewhat close to level.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the help!

SZ TKP’s turn too much for their own good, you might consider de-wedging the front or putting a Chubby boardside up front. What do you have in the rear?

Hi @Alphamail would love some advice on bushings and also a link to where i can get whatever you’ll be recommending.

1. Barrel-Barrel Caliber 2 50deg.

2. Barrel- Barrel Orangatang Nipples (Yellow - 89A) with stock pivot cups.

3. A setup for crusing at low speeds (15mph). Really difficult to turn on the current setup.

4. Crusing/ speeding from time to time.

5. Using a loaded vanguard flex 2 42" with 107mm abec 11 74A wheels.

6. 72kg (160lbs)

1 Like

It’s symmetrical right now

OK so you have SZ TKP’s front and back? If you want to keep it symmetrical, de-wedge both the front a back a couple of degrees to settle them down a bit and increase the duro or the size of the bushings you are using. I suggest a Barrel / Chubby both front and back in KranK or APS 90a

1 Like

Hey man. Recently had a pretty nasty fall and just posting to see if you can help me with my bushing set up. The trucks I’m using are caliber fifty with their default bushings still in place. I’m looking to mainly get a more stable ride at higher speeds (I’m getting wobbles pretty early on) and if so, make turning a little easier as I have quite a large turning circle, will I need wedges for this? My type of skating is just cruising around and commuting. My deck is the landyatch 9two5 and I’ve never got wheel bite so far. I weigh about 75kg Really appreciate the help :slight_smile:

1 Like