Bushing Set up Help

If you are in the USA, shipping bushings is not cost prohibitive and the Tunnel Riser is in it’s initial stages of testing. If there are issues, there will be delays, if not, shipping could begin the 3rd or 4th week of this month

2 Likes

And I shall not be waiting, making a cart now!

4 Likes

Hey alpha! I had talked with you a bit early but i went to do some studying so I’m back again.

I’m currently using stock baseplates on a tb 218mm trucks. I use 96a krank barrel and cone. Barrel boardside and come roadside. Same config both back and front. The board feels okay but i want to emulate the surfiness of double king pin trucks. I am open to using wedged risers and also changing base plates. Any advice? I’d also love some stability when i add this surfiness

1 Like

First thing to try is, if you are using cupped washers, switch to flats and also try running a Cone /Cone front and a Barrel / Barrel rear. Watch out for wheel bite if you make any of these changes

Woah barrel barrel! Any idea where i can get the flat washers from? If your site, i plan on getting pivot cups as well cause mine are stock.

I’d also rather not buy twice (shipping) any other combos you think i should buy as well?

@Alphamail last edit: For the cones, do the narrow sides face each other or the wide sides?

1 Like

Local hardware stores can provide washers in a pinch, try the 5/16 first to see if it will fit over the king pin since the hole tolerances are so big with hardware stores. For cones, the big end go into the hanger so big end facing big end. Before you order anything else, try what I suggested to see if it works…

1 Like

@Alphamail as far as pivot cups go, the only ones I see on the site are for the Surf Rodz TKPs. Do you think those will fit my Surf Rodz adjustable RKP baseplate or is there something else I should get?

They should work fine, if not, we will make it right

2 Likes

The SR TKP cups work on all Surf Rodz, you got no worries there.

3 Likes

I have a general question. What is the preferred way of eliminating speed wobbles ? High or low rebound bushings? (all other parameters being equal)

Personally I do not correlate rebound with speed wobbles since when I started to skate, I experienced it with various rebound bushings. I found rider technique and experience a far greater influence over wobbles than anything else.

The first technique I learned was to relax your legs when the wobbles start and do not try to fight the wobbles, this counterintuitive technique is difficult to learn but it works. You have to let your legs go limp.

Second was dominant weight distribution over the front truck. This goes a long way to prevent wobbles and also why I am not a big fan of dropthrough boards or drop boards where you cannot stand over or just on the rear mount screws of the front trucks. The further you are away from the front truck, the more you will be prone to wobbles.

Third, is running a split setup where the front turns more than the rear, like a car. This will compensate a lot if you cannot be over the front truck as in the Second above.

Fourth, which is unique to eSk8 may be running front wheel drive as @MoeStooge is demonstrating but more research is needed to test this as he is running a 20 / 0 split with 20 degree front and a 0 degree rear.

5 Likes

Count me in as another thrilled customer. I installed the rear de-wedge, bushings and washers yesterday and I am beyond pleased. I was pretty happy with my O. Nipples but this set up is significantly better in every way. I was worried the rear of the board would feel lazy at medium speeds after de-wedging, but it really doesn’t. It’s actually even more lively, carvy and fun while being way more stable at higher speeds. Truly the best of both worlds Duro seems perfect for my weight and application as well. Thanks @Alphamail!

4 Likes

SEE!!! I told ya so!!! lol

2 Likes

My bushings arrived so I did some testing. First the pivot cups are a lot better fit compared to the stock ones that are too loose. I put the 93a web barrels in the rear and the 83a barrels in the front. Unfortunately I did not have cupped washers that would fit the roadside bushings so I flipped the small ones that came stock with the trucks. Loved the carviness however it was a little loose when speed was increasing. Put in the 88a in the front and it tamed it a little while still turning better compared to the stock bushings. I am thinking about ordering 95.5a wfb barrels for the rear and large cup washers. What do you think?

2 Likes

That will definitely make a difference but it could be too much. You can start running them with flats then cup as needed. When you order, put a note on the order for a couple of flat and cupped washers and we will include them

2 Likes

Thanks. I am in Greece so ordering from the USA is usually more expensive and comes with the risk of import taxes. I will order from fulkit skateboards in France. Still I really appreciate your offer and your service is one of the reasons I choose Riptide

2 Likes

So I got some 88a Riptide WFB barrels (I’m 115 lbs) and wow what an upgrade from the generic cone/barrels I had before. An issue I have though is that I didn’t have enough of the right washers and had to use a cupped one which dug into and cut off a small piece of my rear bushing that was bulging out of the washer. I don’t think it’s an issue but will it reduce the life of that bushing?

1 Like

How do you feel about precision washers (such as those made by Atlas) compared to cup washers? I am thinking about turning some on my lathe to try.

1 Like

You may be tightening it too much or it is too soft for your weight. Please keep an eye on it to be sure the cut does not propagate causing the bushing to split. Usually exterior (outside diameter) cuts are not much of an issue, but cuts and splits on the interior diameter are dangerous

1 Like

Precision washers can be a very useful tuning tool, both the sleeved and non sleeved versions

1 Like