Bushing Set up Help

Did more dialing today and I think I hit what I want to have. Here´s what I did and my thoughts.

Rear: I put on the 35 degree baseplant. Dewegede it to 25 and tried two sets of bushings. 1. krank 90 chubby board side and krank 90 barrel road side. 2. Krank 93 barrel with cupped washers both road side and board side.

Front: 50 degrees and krank 87 barrel both board and road side.

I like the 90 chubby / barrel setup better. This gives me the feeling that the resistance is the same both front and rear. This is the first time I feel this, and it really makes the lower speed riding, turning and handling better. The 93 set up made the rear to stiff.

This config is the best I have tried yet. I get my loose trucks that I like and it makes me do lower speed hard carving and tight turns. It takes me to 30 mph with no problem. It is like takes out the turnyness of the setup when speed increases. Its a funny feeling having a board with that loose trucks, but feeling totally safe at high speed. I can feel the loose trucks and waiting for trouble, but it just doesn’t come. I can change foot position and move around at full speed now without feeling unstable. Something that was not possible for me before. I feel the movement in the board, but it is stable.

As I wrote this is the best set up until now, and I am pretty happy with it. I will stop the experimentation for now, been giving it a lot of attention, and I need to just riiiiide now. I will give it a long go and see if I down the road needs some adjustments. I don’t bother trying the 30 degrees, its kind of a hassel to change wedge back and forth :slight_smile:

So after all it was possible get get both sides. Loose trucks and stability at higher speeds.

Thanks for your help and patience @Alphamail it is much appreciated!

Ohh… by the way I also threw in some 96 pivot cups, so now I am totally covered by Riptide :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Stoked to see you trying new things and experimenting!!! You mean a “Chubby” in the rear truck right?

1 Like

Yah… Chubby :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been thinking about writing a long winded post about that approach…I will give it some thought.

1 Like

The next thing I might want to experience is having harder bushing board side and softer road side. It seems to be quite popular when I read around DH sites. Do you have anything in general to say about what we get out of that config in contrast to having same duro both board and road side? I see people running 68-74/96-98

@Alphamail what’s your recommendation for a Torqueboards style truck with 52/46 degree baseplate angle? I am approx. 70 kg with all the gear on and thought about APS barrel bushings 0.6” board and street side (yellow 90a = front, red 95a = back)?

Thx

1 Like

It is difficult for me to recommend until I know what is in the trucks currently and how you want the feel to change.

1 Like

Hi is this post still alive? If so. I’m 63Kg Caliber II 50 degrees I am looking for a very surfy/snowboardy feel. Stable at 25km/h Thanks so much!

1 Like

@razad7 Hey what is your wheelsbase on this setup? measure from inside truck hardware to inside truck hardware bolts…

With a 50 baseplate, you can get pretty surfy with a barrel/cone combo, but I want to make sure your wheel base is long enough to remain stable at 25km with such a setup…

Wow, thanks for the quick answer! I have a 57cm and 79cm ones I was thinking Barrel/cone combo, just not sure about the duros (:slight_smile: Thanks!

:thinking:

try again dude inside truck bolts to inside truck bolts, is the std.

1 Like

16 is too short for a 50 degree rkp, 16 inches is like 1980’s short skateboard wheelbase…I have something near 19inches on Calibers and I had to use 44 to get it stable…you will need to be over 19 inches and most likely need a longer hybrid type deck…your other option is using a 35 degree Randal rear baseplate to get the rear really dead, and then use a Carver CX front truck to get that “surfy” feel you want…typically a surfy feel is due to over 4mm of rake or extremely split angles and/or a combo of both…bushings alone will not make a setup feel “surfy” by itself, but it will tune a surfy setup well…Calibers have zero rake and are notoriously unsurfy…

1 Like

How I wish wheelbase was measured from axle to axle…

2 Likes

Hey, I measured wrong, Edited my post. Thanks.

that would work fine…about 22inches or so…I would go with a barrel/cone…it will at least feel more progressive and surfy that barrel/barrel…

Great, but what durros?

I weigh over 90kg (over 200lbs) so my experience is totally different than what yours will be…but you should start soft, like 85a and below…only you and your weight and feel and opinion matters, but yeah, start softer and adjust from there…your best bet is the Krankz formula as they are more forgiving in their pre-load adjustment…

This might be a great place to start… Boardside: 87a Krankz Barrels Roadside: 87a Krankz Cones

Because the roadside is going to control the feel more, maybe get a few duro option for the cones for initial tuning…the 85a and 90a…same for the barrel if you have the cash…its better to have options, so I would just get a pile of all the softer options…

I have currently no bushings in the truck as the thing isn’t machined yet but I would like to try a double barrel first. I am a bit restricted in height as I have only 0.6” space on either side due to the length of my KP.

1 Like

OK @anon42702729 with your weight and angle split, I think you might be going a bit hard, I think KranK 87a Barrels up front or APS 87.5a and KranK 90a or APS 90a for the rear will suit you better.

1 Like
  1. Caliber 11 50 degree trucks
  2. Riptide wfb cone 90a i think with torqueboard 218 trucks barrels as the riptides i got were way too soft and actually broke with the precision flat washer i bought so back to normal washers.

Trucks are tight but it keeps getting like speed wobles even low speed…it may be my technique as iv only started like 2 days on a board total novice did 12 miles first day and its scary getting wobbles with on coming cars and shit… 4. 37 inch jet vulcan kick deck with 2 x 3/4 inch risers one soft rubber one hard plastic.97mm abec11 flywheels no wheelbite Weigh around 13 1/2 stone

1 Like