Build Log: Waterproof longboard 10s LiFe with Vesc

They are in inches. I should have had that on there, and the R.5250 means the radius is 0.525 inches. Also that circle with a line through it means diameter.

Also part A I had made on a laser edm machine. It may be kinda hard to machine with a cnc but probably possible. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

I havenā€™t modified this build very much since I finished it, so I though it was time for some improvements.

I just replaced my vesc firmware with Ackmaniacā€™s so I can have more control over the vesc with this app. Just have to wait for a bluetooth transmitter in the mail.

Also I have some really cool plans for a headlight.

What unit of measurement is that?

Another question, what kind of motor are you using on that motor mount? i have read earlier on the topic that you used a 50mm OM5065-170KV but later changed to a 200KV. Are you still using the new motor on the same motor mount? And is it possible for me to use a 50mm or 63mm motor from Turnigy SK3 series on this motor mount? Thanks for the reply

@BpaoIce I am still using the 200kv OM5065 on the same mount. I just had to saw a corner off for more clearance with the deck.

The OM5065 has an unusual bolt spacing. Regular 50mm motors and 63mm motors have different bolt spacings.

If youā€™re going to use a OM5065 then this mount will work but If you want a different motor I would find the bolt spacing (by emailing the manufacturer or looking it up here) then just adjust my design a little bit. It should be an easy adjustment.

@conor Not sure what you mean?

Howā€™s your OM5065 been holding up, @ndwallick? :slight_smile: Do you often ride in the wet/rain?

It has been holding up really well! I dont ride it in the rain very often but Itā€™s certainly gotten wet a few times. I donā€™t have the sensors hooked up, not sure how the rain would affect those.

1 Like

I opened mine up and epoxied over the exposed contacts as I intend to do some wet ridding and want to use the sensors.

How is the board going? No water issues?

1 Like

Great looking build. The outcome is outstanding! The only question I have about this build is that donā€™t you get your pants really wet and dirty when driving in moist conditions? Mine isnā€™t even near waterproof but Iā€™ve played with the idea of adding some sort of mudguards to the board.

Cheers!

@FinnishSnowmobiler Ya riding is the rain is pretty messy!

@lrdesigns I havenā€™t had any water issues but I recently have had some motor overheating issues. I am going to start a new thread about it.

Looks good bro :ok_hand: enclosure came out nice and not too hard or messy

Iā€™d use sugru for stuff like this, even the mounting around the plug iā€™d use it there to unless your budget is super tight :wink:

2 Likes

Never heard of sugru, I will have to try it!

I recently had my motor overheat and stop working. It was probably because Iā€™ve been riding it with a backpack, and going up hills in the AZ heat. So I just bought a larger motor and a new mount. I will post pics here when I have it all installed. It will be nice to have a little more power too!

After kicking my board for 2 weeks, I finally installed the OM6085 motor last night! It feels way more powerful than my old motor and a lot smoother too. I should have started with a 60mm motor!

Evan after riding up a hill in 80 degree F weather, it did not get too hot to touch. I will have to see how hot it gets when itā€™s hotter out.

2 Likes

Looks nice! Let me know when you are ready for 90mm wheels. We will have some in a few weeks. http://www.ollinboardcompany.com/product/ollin-popoca-longboard-wheels-90mm-78a

Should be a perfect fit for that wheel pulley.

1 Like

I will need some wheels soon, those look nice, I could use some softer wheels! Mine are 83A

I rode with the new motor in 96 degrees F a little bit ago and I could still touch it without burning my hand.

Looks like my top speed is up from 20mph to 22mph! (My theoretical top speed for both 200kv motors is 27.5mph) (Iā€™m guessing the biggest cause if it being lower is the vesc efficiency and the LiFe voltage sag)

I also noticed that I have full braking all the way until a full stop. :grinning: With the old motor, once I got going really slow the brakes would not brake with as much force and I would have to put my foot down. Now I can hold the brake down and come to a complete stop without my feet.

My old mount is for sale! I know itā€™s hard to find mounts for the spacing on OM5065s. http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/for-sale-used-custom-adjustable-motor-mount-for-om5065/34993

Did you use an oven or heat gun/hair dryer to heat up kydex?

1 Like

An oven, if you scroll way up in this thread, I wrote about it, and I put a link to the turorial I watched