Build ideas and help planning for budget AT build

I mean I just went by the website lol, USA/Taiwan/Singapore is all the same as far as the pricing is concerned, if it’s not in the EU then I would have to pay 25% in taxes to customs.

Unless you mean research on the build, then I’m already way ahead of you. But a lot of the research I’ve done has mostly been telling me things I -shouldn’t- get. I’m asking here to see if there’s any like… good budget options. (researching for ‘budget’ options is a minefield, as a lot of it is either out of date or scams or overpriced).

Im in the UK too, and I know a few parts are expensive, usually the ones made in the US. Not strictly the ones that are sold in the US since those parts usually come from China and usually are sold in Europe

Ill save you a bit of research

But your going to have to tell me your weight, the range you want, etc.

Need more info.

1 Like

Unless you’re sub 10st, even 8” on sand is iffy. Bergmeisters on pure sand have no chance

You’ll be wanting a 8” wheel setup minimum

1 Like

Sorry for slow replies to people, turns out as a noobie I can only send 15 messages/replies per day, and I’d hit my limit :frowning:

8" wheels hits the problem of needing to use different trucks (i assume, because of axel diameter and length), which also would mean none of the pulley kits working. I’m not set up to fabricate my own stuff. Unless there’s such a thing as an adapter sleeve to make the wheels fit… but even then there’s probably not enough width to fit them? I’d pretty much have to go full mountain board at that point? Unless I’m missing some obvious easy solution.

Avoid the beach or raise your budget?

1 Like

You will need a full scale MTB to handle grass, sand, trails etc. Anything else is not doing the trick on the long run. As soon as you go off road, you want a proper off road setup.

1 Like

If you don’t spend 3000 dollars on a board it will implode the second it leaves paved surfaces and compact into a useless dwarf star.

7 Likes

Haha I’m really hoping that’s as sarcastic as it sounds :stuck_out_tongue:

@trampa Are there any MTB compatible drive kits though? All the builds I’ve found on here that use MTB 12mm trucks and wheels, all seem to have also used 3D printed and CNC machined parts to mount everything, which I unfortunately don’t have access to.

I may just have to limit my movement to places bergmeisters can handle.

1 Like

Yeah just joking around. The nice thing about DIY is you can put stuff together and identify the weak links as you go. Unfortunately you have to be willing to learn and tolerate some stuff breaking/buying upgrades along the way.

Or you can spend the big bucks and usually get good stuff. Can’t speak to much as I have limited mountain board experience, but the focbox unity (I’m 100% biased) is a beast and will deliver enough power/reliability to last :smile:

2 Likes

Can confirm Unity power level is over 9000

4 Likes

@idea makes great MTB mounts

trampa does everything, if you have the skrilla

MBS boards arent really any more cheap or expensive than a trampa board, it comes down to rider preference and maybe the current deal (remember MBS has a perma discount for forum members… cant remember it… use the search function x) )

1 Like

If you mean the decks, that’s not the issue, the decks are pretty similar in price to longboards it seems. All the actual wheels and trucks etc are all similar too. The problem is the mounting for the motors/pulleys etc, which is already very hard to source in the UK even for the ‘standard’ 8mm sizings.

I didn’t know about @Idea though, so I’ll take a look / send him a message and find out what my options are.

I know that @Mikaelj is also not NA I dont know if Norway is helpful or not? lol

@Mikaelj? Is he someone else who makes mounts? Norway is kind of semi-EU, so I think that I don’t get import fees from there either. And @Idea seems to be in Poland which works too. I’ll see what the options are and price some stuff up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes he makes mounts, possibly MTB mounts. I just think he might be ready for a challenge if you came to him with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Mate there’s nothing hard to source when your in the UK

Maybe boas and surfordz that’s about it

I believe @Boardnamics is getting ready to make mtb motor mounts. When it comes to affordable parts that aren’t cheap crap you can’t really beat what he has to offer. He’ll catch on eventually and raise his prices.

3 Likes

I mean you can buy anything online, but then you have to add 25% on top of the cost, plus a pretty big chunk for shipping usually… maybe more accurate to say “hard to source for reasonable price”. If money is no object, then anything is easy to buy!

@skunk thanks, I’ll take a look at boardnamics too! Though he seems to be in San Diego which may make it a bit cost-prohibitive… does depend though, worth an ask for sure!

Thanks everyone for the pointers. Once I’ve figured out what’s possible with the wheels, then I can pick myself a deck to fit.

So much of the AT market is in europe

@idea @mbs Europe @trampa @okp @Nowind @moon - slowly Lolz @andy87 has a shit ton of all terrain boards and I don’t think he has much from America

Items from China usually don’t get taxed fully

US companies for all terrain:

@Rithblu @mbs

And that’s all I can think of

4 Likes

Budget esk8 street boards are totally possible. But budget mtb… that’s kinda hard. Especially if you want range and enough torque to handle sand. You’re going to have to get over the whole paying shipping thing.

If you really don’t want to deal with that. Save and watch for used parts locally.

And @moon is right. You have access to alot over there

1 Like