Brake system controlled by transmitter

Is there any project already made with a brake system that act on the wheels ( sort of like this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/17/8e/58/178e58ad9e7bf2e5ff441cb5f40b2686.jpg) but smaller and controlled by the radio transmitter so that when you brake on the radio an actuator moves the brake for you?

1 Like

All you need is a mechanical system that hooks up to a pwm servo. Put the servo on the throttle channel and orient the head in the direction needed to activate the brakes.

There are a handful of examples on the google

Do you have some links? i can not find anithing similar to what i described , thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks you for the link, but ti was looking for examples with proof that the project works in the real world. Online there are some examples, but i could not find one that shows that it really works. If anybody knows something would be great !

I was looking into this but the price of larger servo motor put it me off a bit… though if u got 20usd to spend and then tinker to make it work, i think it is worth it.

I was planning to adapt it to mechanical disk brakes (for mountainboard) so im not sure what can u come up with for longboard…

I think either way u would need some sort of drum or disc, which gets pressed, so that the wheel can start to slow down.

On youtube there should be a few examples but im not sure i can find them now

That design in the link Deckoz gave you did work. There is a video on YT of the design process and testing, but I cant find it right now for some reason.

I came across a similar idea though

The problem with servo activated brakes IMO is the rather low torque they can put down on the brake pads, you need some clever mechanical advantage to use those if you want to stop fast. And then we are probably not talking about 180 deg turning servos anymore

1 Like

@Kug3lis posted a video of these two guys using a brake system not too long ago… ill look for the post

1 Like

Looks cool. More details on how he made it would be nice.

From video (when watching on phone, it was a bit hard to understand what is being pushed against disk rotors…

Other than that glad that someone has made it even for longboard

i can’t even see it on my computer. Another idea would be to use a hydrolic discbrake. I have no real idea how to realise this but if you have enough space under your deck, wouldn’t it be possible to build a pump which is controlled over the remote and the energy needed would come from the braking current or from the battery. Those discbrakes would be mounted at the frontwheels.

Interesting idea. Though not sure how much extra weight it might add, plus a bicycle mechanic i know, said that hydralic disk brakes at least for bicycles are really ‘touchy’, so to speak…

I think he meant they are quite sharp and requires minimum effort to apply, i might be concerned thus that for eboard they might be too strong and sensitive.

Disk brakes ive got on bicycycle works quite nicely… hard to tell whenever hydraulic ones would be much better

Only benefit I see that motor would need to work a lot less, to activate them (pull the cable)

well i wouldnt use a traditional brake, maybe just a oldschool brakepad pressing on one side, since space is an real issue here

Yeh i think this is how it was made on that mountainboard servo brake video i saw a while ago…

Though what @Bobby posted looks a bit more high tech… should take a look at on bigger screen

that video of the mountainboard was awfull, that brake hat zero functionality and that @Bobby video was so low quality that i coulndt see anything. I dont understand why people do videos at night. But yeah like that at the end. But i would install them in the front, so you brake with your motors and in front, spreading the force on all wheels.

Regenerative braking is just shorting the motor phases and sending the current back to the battery

Installing brakes on the front only takes away from the torque generating the current for regeneration on the rear motor wheels

ok good to know

1 Like

But still. Where do you add the sattle if the mount is in the way of all that. Seems to me the front is easier to realise or you have hubmotors and somehow add a mounting device to them so they rotate with the hubs together.

I’m not saying you can’t put brakes on the front.

Just, sharing the load with mechanical brakes, you will regenerate less watts then the motors braking independently on thier own without a mechanical assist.

no i got that, i just saying, where do i put them with all the other stuff in the way, thats the tricky part