Boss level custom spot welder

I’ll be using alot of insulation, my deck really dosnt flex but I added a bit of flexibility just in case lol

25mm is sweet. Can use for double stack, or for foldover. A lot more conductor than criss crossed skinng strips. And stacked nickel, the welds just don’t seem super consistent, at least not as consistent as non stacked.

Or for flex packs, for each p-proup, fold the excess over (put fish tape under) and solder copper braid or 12/10awg for series connections.

I love wide tabs. Less work, better conductivity and heat dissipation. Just be careful welding the positive buttons.

1 Like

Yeah cause they are hard to see but I do have the insulation rings on the positive side. Awesome I feel better about using these :slight_smile:

I swapped out the shrink wrap around the copper wire for 18ga silicone wire sheath. It slides right on and I haven’t put it to a temp test but I’d be willing to bet it holds up better than shrink wrap.imageimage

3 Likes

Most probably resists better the heat. I replaced a few pvc shrink due to fast Jobs and melting as a side effect. Tell us how It goes over time.

Already noticably better, easy to swap.

I believe you… But… over time please. One day is not tested enough.

Yeah I will use the 25mm strip for the series connections and maybe even fold it over to 90° for p groups and see how that goes

2 Likes

Ugh 1000+ comments… Just had a long discussion with a friend about using part of his shop space to start making batteries and he’s all for it. Wants to help me start building a community for Esk8 here. Think I’ll be picking one of these up and learning to spot weld. I’ll have to try reading through this later… fun

Get some cheap throw away cells like ones from an old laptop and start practicing.

1 Like

He actually rebuilds old laptops and things like that so has an abundance of batteries just laying around. (Safely)

1 Like

Old laptop cells are perfect to practice welding :wink:

1 Like

Has anyone been able to weld .2mm strips on top of each other with this welder? I can’t get them to weld, even at 16ms and 5x pulses

What battery are you using?

1 Like

turnigy nano-tech 3S 4400mah, 65-130C, fully charged.

Even with max settings, 15ms, 6x pulses, can’t get 0.2mm nickel to stick on itself

Not paying attention and I bought a Turnigy 2200mAh 3s 40c lipo (thinking it was a 4400mAh) to power the welder. Will that work or do I need something with more mAh?

I don’t think so. Depends… What are you gonna weld? 0.1 .15 .20?

I weld 0.2 using 8ms X2 using a similar battery Is your lipo ok? Check the points. They must be polished and have a correct gap. 1-2mm between each other.

.15 was my plan…