Boss level custom spot welder

Are there any repair services in USA shipping to Korea back and forth is going to be more expensive that buying a new one.

Easyiest way is to repair it yourself :slight_smile: Is everything okay on the screen ? no error message ?

2 Likes

This was my experience also so I just ordered a new unit ^^ Mine was beyond repair since the stepdown regulator for the arduino was overheating when I fixed the bad traces. Could prolly be fixed by someone experienced but i didnt want to waste time on it so I ordered a new.

1 Like

Check that the tips are spread and not in contact with each other. Iā€™m not sure how it behaves with a constant short but it sure doesnā€™t weld good. Heat can make the shrink wrap melt.

I already did that, even changed the heat shrink from the tips twice but still didnā€™t work. I canā€™t see anything broken or burnt externally.

Can someone show me how to check the traces? Should I remove the 4 screws and disassemble it to check burnt traces?

A picture would be useful

Checking solder joints and doing visual inspection since Im paranoid like that. Guessing this leg on the solder Iron connector shouldnt be flying? And connected to the traces under it? Can anyone confirm? The legs on the other side are connected properly.

can you measure the tension you have in the output ?

Havnt got a DC brick at hand atm. Only reason i see it not beeing soldered to the trace is if it was a design fault. I mean, it lines up perfectly and nothing else sits at the end. Theres vias to Another pin that is soldered however.

If its not sā€™posed to be soldered iā€™d like to cut it off. disaster waiting to happen. Started it up and tried a test weld tho. Runs fine

Not sure what battery to get for the Boss spot welder I am in between

This one

And this one.

both will work perfectly fine

2 Likes

i got the top one. id really be interested in seeing how people have replaced the tips or ā€œtilesā€ that go to the welding pen. trying to fab my own did not pan out so well. i messaged @aulakiria and he told me that they can be swapped i destroyed my tips in only one build. :neutral_face:

Home depot sells thick copper wires get the proper thickness. Cut the length you need attach to a drill and spin in on sand paper to sharpen and round the tips.

I havenā€™t gotten my welder yet so Iā€™m not sure how the tips are held in place.

Iā€™ve got the 2nd one, works well. Others including poor @rojitor (get well soon!) have had great success with the nanotech. The 130c is the more interesting number in this application.

3 Likes

@rojitor are you ok? Have a speedy recovery.

1 Like

Does anyone have some spare nylon or plastic spacers they used to replace the metal ones?

I would like to replace them before a customer orders a battery from me

1 Like

I bought a generic set from eBay for like $10. I think shipping will prolly cost more but I can see if I have enough and send it as a letter to you if you canā€™t find any closer. Would be shipping from Norway.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/180Pcs-Black-Nylon-M3-Hex-Column-Male-Female-Standoff-Spacers-Screw-Nut-Kit-Box/301843642848?hash=item46474879e0:g:f2gAAOSwa-dWkM-8

I am at home now. I have been flying on the wings of morphine. It is not as fun as It sounds. The good news is they saved my kidney. I am still in a lot of pain and having legal drugs all day. I am useless, wife does everything. I am not in the mood to even watch tv. I am playing this now

I find It relaxing. Thank you everyone for your consideration.

9 Likes

glad to hear the good outcome! get better quick!

2 Likes

Get well soon bro, recovery music for you when I think of something (probably not despacito)

2 Likes

No burnt traces or error on the screen. It just does not weld or beep at all. Iā€™ve been trying everything with no luck, automatic mode, switch mode more flux time, less flux time. I had to buy a new unit but still need to wait until next week for it to arrive.

1 Like