Boss level custom spot welder

going to have to pick one of these up!

Next time I need to build a pack, I’m definitely buying this. I wonder how hard it is on lipos though. @rojitor: Have your batteries swelled or degraded noticeably quickly? What about internal resistance?

Lipos hate being shorted while car batteries don’t care about that. That’s why most of the spot welders use car batteries. Aulakiria managed to make the short beyond the lipo. No noticeable wear at all on my lipos so far. It is totally safe.

This doesn’t short the lipo though, it uses capacitors that draw current from the lipo and store it.

Although technically if you think about it, all batteries when they’re used are getting ‘shorted’…

I would really appreciate that ALL BOSS SPOT WELDER USERS shared their experience here. Please post your opinion, pics, videos etc… thank you.

2 Likes

@aulakiria I received mine a couple of weeks ago thank you, I have not yet had a chance to use but looking forward to it.

In fact I am returning a 3s lipo to get a 4s in order to be able to weld copper at a good enough voltage per @rojitor YouTube videos, now we just need a supply of nickel plated copper :joy:

Omg another greedy dude like me haha :grin: 0.1 copper needs 5-6 ms x2 on 4s. Make sure you wear glasses and gloves all the time. It is dangerous. Copper on copper does not weld well. You need to use wide tabs method, pre solder tabs, use neodinium magnets or use nickel for parallel and copper for series. I didn’t have the chance to test 0.15 and 0.2 makes literally burn the pen and damages the machine so you better not do it. I plated it myself. If you find a plated source let me know. :wink:

2 Likes

good to know thanks man

Just sent the paypal to the man himself. Cant wait to try this out.

How does it handle doubled up .15 nickel?

Just ordered mine. More, where to get nickel strips and batteries? Any suggestions?

Do you know of a similar thread for the US?

I know there is BatteryBros, but I am considering going with Nkon.nl since they also have nickel strips and shrinkwrap

Batteries from illumn.com, great prices. As for nickel strips, the spot welder comes with plenty strips for a pack or two, maybe even more!

1 Like

Maybe we can do group by for US? I’d be in for atleast 72

1 Like

If you’re going to go with Nkon then you should use my handy filtering tool that I made for their range of cells…

You can put in your pack size (n)s(n)p and it’ll give you a total cost including multi-buy discount if applicable. You still order on their own website though as clicking on a cell takes you through to their own site.

4 Likes

Looks like I may have to make a tool for illumn.com as well as they don’t display their AMP discharge rate on their results screen…! :confused:

This item is getting popular some should hit up the guy and partner up to distribute in the US lol

That filter rocks. Thank you bro

2 Likes

You guys might be interested in checking out www.diypowerwalls.com , TONS of 18650 related info and a cell database and reliable community market for 18650 goodies Having just read what I wrote, it sounds like spam, it’s not, promise :blush: Check out my diy PowerWall while you’re there http://www.diypowerwalls.com/t-CyberWall?highlight=CyberWall

2 Likes

Aulakiria is not “selling” The welder. He is not into this for money. He is “sharing” his invention with the world. Therefore forget about distributors and group buys.