Boosted Clone | Vanguard F.3 | Dual 75KV hubmotors | 90mm | 10S4P 25R | FOC

What would you call it then? :slight_smile:

You are bypassing BMS for discharge, meaning not using BMS for output to ESC

4. Three small 12S BMS(s) bypassed for charging only.

Both terms seems to be used.

Weirdness, it’s all good as long as we eventually understand each other :grin:

1 Like

Update #3

Today was not a very eventful day :confused: I thought the hubs would get here but they’re still stuck in transit… Got 2 grip tapes today at least, one “normal” and one “rough”!

I’m going to attempt to make it two-tone(normal 2/3 and 1/3 rough of the way) like Boosted boards.

Drilled some “holes” for the copper braid and took the bushings from the trucks that came with the board since the stock ones from DIY apparently sucks. So they’ll get switched ASAP!

I removed the grip tape but left the glas fiber since it was pretty hard to remove and I didn’t want to risk destroying the deck with my orbital sander. So to make sure the glas fiber stays in place I gave it 3-4 coats of clear coating. This will get roughed up with sandpaper before applying the grip tape for proper adhesion.

I will chamfer the edges to the “holes” with a chisel to make it longer so there’s a seamless transition. I also soldered and installed the 5.5mm connectors with 12AWG Turnigy wire on the 3D-printed risers. Looks neat and while the soldering job was good, it looks pretty bad when zoomed in! :sweat_smile:

^ This is why I chose to upgrade the capacitors! ^

8 Likes

Update #4

Wohoo! :grin: :grin: :grin: The package from Torqueboards arrived today!

This is what I got:

• Dual hubmotor kit 75KV.

• Spare urethane for hubs.

• 2x VESC

• CAN bus cable (won’t be using it, but it’s nice to have one just in case)

• XT-90 Y-splitter (won’t be using it though)

• Cable for 2.4ghz reciver

I switched out the bushings because I’ve heard they’re shit, but mine seemed OK though.

The VESC’s looked nice as well, but I’ll be removing all the wires and capacitors to make them fit my custom mount. But that’s a week or two away, at least.

I’ll be making a seperate, more in depth post about the hubs(not an update here) - but I’ll give a quick rundown here as well.

First impressions:

• The urethane smells absolutely horrible. When I opened the box I almost vomited. The smell went away though.

• The urethane looks far from perfect. It has some creases, pictured below.

• They’re heavy!

• Didn’t look like in the pictures on their site. Looks like the locking ring is bigger on these - probably for the better.

• One grub screw was missing. Not a big deal though, I think I have some laying around.

• One of the tapped holes for the grub screw is tilted to an angle. Not a huge deal, but it won’t make anything easier.

• You can definitely see that they’re not a perfected product, but they still feel like they’re good quality.

• One motor is making a little more sound than the other one, hence the seperate post.

I removed the front and back screws, cleaned them up & loctited them in place again.

Overall I’m glad they’re here! Looks promising :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Update #5

Bought some miscellaneous stuff as well.

The Vedder anti spark switch I bought from ProtoBoards seems defective, so I’ll be using my old Torqueboards switch from my 6S build. But I still want a fuse so I’ll be trying out the one pictured below.

When I read up on fuses it seems the the amp rating is not all there is. The voltage they’re rated for plays a big part. If they’re not rated for the voltage they’re used at they can arc and keep delivering, I think… :sweat_smile:

The ones I bought doesn’t have any voltage written on them and they look almost identical to the one that came with the ProtoBoards switch.

I’ll try and test one at a higher voltage/amp than my battery and see if it’s adequate.

2 Likes

Where did you buy that mesh cable for wires? :slight_smile: Nice to follow your progress

1 Like

Biltema actually! They have some different sizes as well, but we’ll see about the quality :wink: Hope you like it!

2 Likes

Nice! Then I can pick that upp with some biltemakörv when I åka dit. What was the name of the product?

5 Likes

Found it, I think. It’s the “kabelstrumpa”?

Yep, that’s the one! That 5kr price tag though :heart_eyes:

What are you going to do with the sensor wires?

Update #6

There was supposed to be only one update today, but I kinda screwed that up…

I’ll be hiking in the Norwegian woods for a week, so I won’t be active here.

Here’s a video of a weird sound coming from one of the hubmotors(the video is loud) and here’s a not so interesting video of me applying loctite to some screws.

Enjoy!

There’s actually room for them in the 3D-printed riser! I’m going to run FOC sensored :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I want to do that too! Can you show me how the cable is supposed to look?

Not at the moment, sorry! But check out @jackw’s build. He’s got some neat pictures as well :slight_smile:

Love the riser, I’m doing something just like that. The wiring underneath looks beautiful haha, hopefully that motor is ok

Yeah, Jack did a great job on the risers! I hooked it up to an old RC ESC and when powering it on it twitched when counting the cells, so I’m hopeful :slight_smile:

Update #7

Finally mounted the enclosures on the board & soldered on the 5.5mm bullet connecters to the hubs! It looks like I’ll be done with the battery this weekend and then we’ll see if the odd hub motor works as it should or if I’ll have to open it up again.

The M4 mounts are a little crooked when the screws are in, so I’ll have to fix that. I also mounted the switch and charging port to the battery enclosure! The screws that hold the enclosures will be switched out with black, dome headed ones as they look nicer. The sensor wires will also get extended and put through the riser.

7 Likes