Boosted Clone | Loaded Vanguard | 6355 190kV | 10S4P | Fiber Glass Enclosure | Orangatang Kegel 80A

Awesome, so you are going to have basically 5 separate packs that you connect with bullet connectors to make the full pack? How do you plan on soldering the bullet connectors on? Are the nickel strips in the middle going to be longer so you can bend them without breaking them? How do you plan on putting each group of 4 in parallel with the strips, just in a circle kind of with the strips? Also, please please please take as many pictures as possible so I can understand exactly how you are doing this so I can do it myself! Best of luck!

That’s correct each of the 5 packs would have 3.7v * 2 packs * 3Ah * 4 parallel cells = 88.8Wh (maximum permited is 100Wh), that’s considering you are going with a Samsung 30Q

You just need mount the bullets over the previouslu spot welded or iron soldered nickel strip and use flux and solder to weld the male and female bullets between packs.

Just solder the 4 negative first and then the 4 positive leads with nickel strips, then you will have a pack of 4 in parallel.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info! Really helped. However, I have one question, to put the cells in parallel it would be like this right? With the lines being the nickel strip?

1 Like

Yes, you need to do that in all cells, possitive and negative,

Sweet, sounds good.

Finally received the ring adhesives for the cells.

So I added this insulation on the positive side:

Then, @pyttroll drilled my board for the cases:

He sanded the board to remove the grip tape and dug the board for the VESC Battery wires:

Final result:

He also drilled the enclosures for screws, switch and battery plug (I will add pictures of that later).

For now I have all the parts (except the remote…) so the build will move on pretty quickly. Again thank you @pyttroll for the invaluable help! Can’t wait to have a ride together once it is done.

Next step will be spot weldering the cells.

5 Likes

You’re welcome!

1 Like

Awesome, please as mentioned before take as many pictures as possible so I can copy you! Keep up the good work!

Okay, yesterday I spot welded the cells:

Before soldering the B…B10+ Dupont wires: After soldering and before bending: I decided not to solder the bullet connectors and do everything with the spot welder. Final result with insulation tape: I started adding the same color Dupont wire on the BMS. After that I took a break and will continue today. Next step is to solder the charger, the switch and the BMS together and find a way to place them in the case. Also I’m currently mounting the motor on the back of the longboard.

5 Likes

Watching this build closely :+1: . Why did you bend them like that?

Nice, what do you mean when you say “Dupont” wires for the balance wires? Also wouldn’t not soldering the bullet connectors defeat the purpose of making a pack that can be split up to go on an airplane? Also, was the nickel strip hard to bend to get the cells like that and what nickel strip did you use? Sorry for all the questions but I am very curious!

Also, can I see some more pics of where you decided to spot weld instead of solder bullet connectors? Thanks!

@rok I had to bend them like that according to the drawing few post before.

what do you mean when you say “Dupont” wires for the balance wires?

It’s a type of pluggable wires called dupont wires (google dupont wires). I used them for the B-…B1+…B9+.

Also wouldn’t not soldering the bullet connectors defeat the purpose of making a pack that can be split up to go on an airplane?

Totally, but I was not confident enough to solder the bullet connectors without breaking anything. Since it will take the airplane most likely one time I can still remove the nickel strip that are in place of the bullet connectors.

Also, was the nickel strip hard to bend to get the cells like that and what nickel strip did you use?

No, extremely easy to bend. It’s pure nickel strip that @pyttroll lent me.

Also, can I see some more pics of where you decided to spot weld instead of solder bullet connectors?

Okay I will add more pics of the battery pack later today.

For now, I’m in the process of soldering the switch, BMS, the charger and the cables to will go above the board. I’m very near completion. I started mounting the mount with the motor. Switch:

Motor mount:

2 Likes

Can you point this drawing out? Sorry, i don’t find it.

See here: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/boosted-clone-loaded-vanguard-6355-190kv-10s4p-fiber-glass-enclosure-orangatang-kegel-80a/23213/21?u=quent17

What enclosure do you use? and is it something you can put up?

Mentioned in first post:

Looking forward to seeing these :slight_smile:.

Finishing soldering everything. Still an unknown issue with the switch. Missing the remote but everything is done. More pics:

3 Likes

Wow that is amazing! What remote are you using?