BMS Hunting No More

, , , ,

@Deckoz do you think you could give a little more of an explanation to how you wired multiple small bms together? Pm maybe as not to go off topic

sounds like a squeeze job. want to see.

@Hummie I’ll be mocking up the battery for your deck tomorrow, let’s see what happens :yum: The 11S5P is 18.5"x6.5"

4 Likes

I meant to ask technically why it works. Shouldn’t the bms block all current flow if one of the cells is faulty/disconnected?

If it’s in the middle yes, if it’s at the end no

Well every balance lead except B- and B+ is really a ±

Let’s take 3s bms’s. Cell 3 balance lead needs to share b- balance lead of the next group. Which technically happens because of the series connection. B- of each group must be connected. Ie cells 1-3 group cell 1 connected to b- of BMS 1. Cell 4-6 cell 4 connected to b- of bms2. Etc. B- is the ground and no balance functions will work without it connected on most dumb BMS

To charge -ch on BMS one to charger negative. Charger positive to end of pack b+(not group b+)

2 Likes

@scepterr do you have a schematic for exactly how you’ve hooked up the 11SxP to the 12S BMS?

11 wires instead of 12, last one skipped There’s really nothing to it other than pretending it’s for whatever S count you have :wink:

Uuuuhhhh, I kinda of understand but not quite. Sorry for lots of questions but would you have access to a diagram. I can’t find anything on google about bms modules in series

It’s the same principal as taking 2 5S batteries and combining into 10S

BMS 1 B-, b1+,b2+,b3+,b4+,b5+

BMS 2 b5+ from BMS 1 goes to B- of BMS 2 Then continue, b6+,b7+,b8+,b9+,b10+

Use Charge negative from BMS 2

1 Like

This is going to sound stupid but how are the cells connected to bms 1 charged?

Because b5+ from BMS 1 is connected to B- of BMS 2, that’s the link You can either run 2 leads from b5+, one to b5+ of BMS 1 and one to B- of BMS 2 or run a lead from b5+ on BMS 1 itself to BMS 2 B-

I understand how they get connected, but what I can’t get my head around is how the charge runs from bms 2 back to 1.

Actually wait I might get this shit. When I get home in 5 I’ll draw a diagram of how I understand it and post it here, could you just tell me if it’s correct?

1 Like

I think this is correct

Almost, that’s supposed to be charge negative coming from c- on BMS 2

Charge postive is battery positive, doesn’t touch the BMS C+/B+

Lol, yeah I even wrote c- then drew it red

Ok so now I’m even more confused. I know that that’s how it must work but I can’t get my head around how those cells circled in red get a positive charge. I understand how the blue cells get charged but not the red. And thank you so much for helping me this far

Because your charger is connected to the positive of the whole battery and the charge negative of BMS 2 is the total battery negative

Wait a moment am I getting confused because I have bms 1 and 2 around the wrong way?

Probably hahaha