Better throttle performance through more responsive ramping

I actually doubled mine, not cut off half

Thanks for the advice. Will look into it. I do miss the few mph top speed I lose from FOC. Would really like to get to at least 30 mph. I’m going to rewind all of my motors this week to hopefully about 100 kv. Will give me a slight boost in top speed. If all goes as planned, I’ll be ready with rewound hummie motors by Sunday.

3 Likes

We need DUTY CYCLE to get good acceleration and speed based control. It doesn’t have neutral though in vesc :sob:

afraid to try this on BLDC w/ FOCBOX will wait for other vesc to arrive to try… did anybody run bldc on BOX yet? i thought they were specifically designed to run in FOC mode best

people run bldc all the time, it’s safer than foc

2 Likes

@jinra where did you ever end up with your ramping? did you keep it doubled at .08? Any issues or concerns since you have been running it?

I use .1 now. No issues so far

What about the ramp down? Did you mess with that any? Are these settings in the advanced tab as I haven’t seen these anywhere I don’t think…

max current ramp step also controls ramp down

2 Likes

Is your accelaration as good as the GT now?

Wonder what the setting on the Vesx X is on the Raptor2 ?, which from tests i’ve seen on youtube accelarates faster that the GT ?

Settings for the raptor 2 are…

Motor max 60 Motor min -60 Battery Max 30 Battery Min -8

My board doesn’t out accelerate the GT or Raptor 2 as my kv is too high and my motors are shorter than both the aforementioned boards. Though my board does go faster than both. The acceleration on mine is definitely enough for me though, and the max current ramp step adjustment did help with that.

For a fair test each would have to be geared for same Top Speed maybe?

For a test of acceleration? Yea I’d agree. I had 190’s on there before but swapped them out for 230’s a couple months ago. I really want to see a dual 6374 170/190kv build go against the Raptor 2.

1 Like

so making the max current ramp 0.08 will make my board accelerate to max faster is that what it is? Will this help with the motor not starting from still or starting really hard ?? or for that i only need to play with startup boost ?

What would be good values for both so i can start faster at street lights ?

Thank you

If you want to start smoothly from standstill you’ll need sensors. It’ll help with response time for fast acceleration. With .08 value you’ll acclerate from 0 to 80 amps in 1 second.

1 Like

Out of curiosity - what setup do you ride these days? Sounds like dual 230kV’s on 10S? I’m currently on a single SK3 245kV on 8S. Feels great to start with. I’ll upgrade it to focbox later on, maybe add 2S to it or even go 192kV route. But 245kV on 10S with focbox might be quite a ride :slight_smile: I’ll probably ramp it up to .08 for a more responsive acceleration.

yep dual 230kv on 10s. It puts me right at the erpm limit. You may go over with 245kv, but who knows maybe the focbox can take it.

I actual want to do a 12s4p dual 6374 190kv build for maximum torque

I’ll definitely limit it to 60,000 erpm if I go down that route or else that transistor should do it’s job protecting the DRV’s.

Well, idea of adding another 4S to the build on dual sensored 190 kV with focboxes, 12mm drives, 210mm trucks and 97 abecs is a right way to wet them pants. :slight_smile: Maybe even lower kV for 12S? like 170?

That’s an option, you can always compensate for lower kv with more aggressive gearing for better top speed.

Cool, if the VESC’s had more horse power I’d give them a go. My scorpion speed controllers have a similar function “MAT= MOTOR ACCELERATION TIME DELAY: 1: 0.15 Seconds* (recommend for AIR 2), 2: 0.3 Seconds, 3: 0.45 Seconds, 4: 0.7 Seconds, 5: 1.3 Seconds” essentially it takes the selected amount of time to deliver the change in throttle position…