(Better than Freeboard) Bindings! finished 3d printable design in post#209!

Agreed, something like this or maybe one solid plate attached. Teenitor Corner Brace, 40mmx40mm Stainless Steel Brace Corner Steel Joint Right Angle Bracket Fastener, 16 Pieces with Screws https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0714FP9LB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WTVDCbZ5S7621

I like the rounded base from freebord, it allows riders to rotate them.

1 Like

Can you give me ideas? I liked the rotational adjustment of the original plates. This is probably important for this application

1 Like

I have no idea. I’m just challenging you. You can figure it out! :smile:

1 Like

Or maybe two of these in a T shape.

https://www.amazon.com/Smbbit-Stainless-Support-Corner-Bracket/dp/B06XKTKYKH/ref=sr_1_6

Edit: These are actually too small, but something bigger with a similar shape…

1 Like

Exactly the direction I was thinking

Ok guys, have a neat idea to make it very light. Who can help me with aluminum machining (simple part)? I would like to not go in the direction of bought brackets - this brings us back to low grade steel and ugliness😀

2 Likes

@akhlut @moon maybe?

Aesthetics are certainly important

Without tool You can’t switch regular > goofy You can’t change height

This too!

Doubt Freebord would be willing to sell parts

1 Like

The rotating part is very important, even having these bindings slightly in the wrong place means they are quite uncomfortable.

I ride this 20190219_182119

The metal plates that screw to the deck are not too heavy guys. The best plan would be to get those parts made in ali and then print the foot retaining part.

2 Likes

Quick, but secure, no fail ratcheting up/down/around

3 ratchets is what I thought would achieve that

Someone linked just the plates earlier for $17 a piece. Not ideal price but if you have a 3d printer it brings the grand total to ~$35 a set.

I’d love to see aliexpress sell them for $7 a set though :sweat_smile:

The other thing we need to consider is these are pretty much set and forget. Once you find your position you leave them there, so quick adjusting isnt really necessary

I see it now!

True, $34, with a strong possibility of a supply chain cut

Makes quick esk8 swapping easier between riders, not just goofy/regular, but every stance variation of each

If you dont have rotational adjustment in the top bit that means you also have to adjust the bottom bracket too to accomodate regular/goofy swaps other wise when you swap the bindings will make your feet turn inwards instead of outwards.

Just shooting stuff I have found into the air

1 Like

here’s the link to the adjustable base plate - warning, this is not to scale.

@danile if you are willing to scale this and add the file that you printed to the plate, we would have a complete file.

5 Likes

This is the rough model of what I’m thinking, combining milled aluminum parts and a 3 printed binding. The binding itself will need some sort of strengthening, like an epoxy bath or CF wrap or something. I just don’t see any 3d printed filament lasting under the kind of stresses we would put on it.

8 Likes

I can machine simple aluminum parts, in the US

3 Likes

Guys, thank you all for the inputs.

Just to understand the procedure: suppose I want to use one of these, so I replace the existing hardware with longer bolts and screw this on top? Using bigger washer I suppose?

Could existing users measure the following:

1. The height of the vertical metal part.
  2. The spacing between two adjustment holes - basicaly the resolution of the vertical adjustment.
  3. The width of the vertical metal part.

Freebords site lists the weight as 1lb for the whole set, is this the case? Is it considered a lot?

So, this can proceed in two ways:

1. Either do a variation of the existing bindings with identical basic design and adjust to 3d printing/aluminum base.
  2. Another idea is to use vertical pole made out of carbon. Will need redesign of the base plate, still manageable. Will greatly reduce the weight! (Honestly this is more interesting, as variations already exist)

What do you say?

Thank you!!

It can be managed, the design should take this into account.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Care to share the cad file? Fusion?