BENCHWHEEL Surgery

Because I have 2 board, 1 benchwheel and 1 enertion. I really want to do a major surgery to my china benchwheel board and perhaps upgrade it. More photos coming the way. Do u think that it is okay to cut off the motor leads for the sake of surgery? and re-do the wire afterwards.

I really not sure what this is, it says 80A on it, perhaps some kind of fuse?

If u can see the screws, I assume that is the ESC because when i turn on the board, i can hear the cooling fan where the screw run?

This is from the back of the aluminum enclosure. On the right, u can see the red button mounting point. On the left is the charging port.

1 Like

Looks like an 80a fuse to me of the automotive variety. It should pop right out. Not sure if I personally would cut my motor wiresā€¦are you sure you cant unplug them from inside the battery rail?

1 Like

Update_1:

I have opened up all the electronics. Good God I hate the hot glue gun (black goey thing). what a mess. In the cluster of wires coming out the battery, there is one small wire and I think it is the receiver wire.

Yep, it is an 80A fuse

Idk what are they saying

I can see they put the ESC at the bottom of a ā€˜somethingā€™ PCB. The silver thing i assume is a row of capacitor?

1 Like

After some cleanup, it looks fine. Iā€™m thinking that if i run the receiver wire near the battery, perhaps it wouldnā€™t distort the signal to much.

less messy than previous one

1 Like

I just ordered this board, so i hope i donā€™t run into these connection/pairing issues. But for this price i can always just use it for parts (i like the boosted style motor mounts).

@NIK I see you found out that you donā€™t have to cut the motor wires. Well this might be a little to late for you, but here are some disassembly videos from Benchwheel themselfs.

Hi @Justin, thank you for the videos although that I am 90% cant understand chinese. Nevertheless, I did some minor surgery which is ā€œisolateā€ the receiver wire from other wires and everything seems pretty fine. Except there is a hole and I need to fill it with something.

At first, Iā€™m thinking of purchasing psychotiller enclosure, but, hell this boardā€™s electronics is 24", and his enclosure max is 21" if Iā€™m not mistaken.

Nice simple fix, does that completely fix the pairing/disconnecting issue? I was also thinking about doing a custom enclosure, so that it doesnā€™t raise the board from the trucks anymore. Maybe iā€™ll buy a longer deck fit on some Orangatang Kegel wheels if the pulleys would fit, canā€™t wait to get mine!

It sucks that you canā€™t easily upgrade the motors to larger 63mm motors because of the way the motor mounts wrap around the motors.

Do you find the motors are to weak? A 5065 dual 1800w setup sounds pretty powerfull. And what about replacing them with some Turnigy Aerodrives? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/RC_PRODUCT_SEARCH.asp?strSearch=5065

Itā€™s not that theyā€™re too weak. Itā€™s that Iā€™m too heavy. lol On flat ground they do just fine starting from a stand still. I just wont be climbing any hills with them. Iā€™m just saying itā€™s more appropriate to have dual 63mm motors for my weight of 265 lbs+ if I want to climb hills.

I took mine apart last night.

Iā€™m guessing the top pcb is the bms since the balance wires lead to it. The pcb sandwich is 20mm x 77mm x 185 mm. I wonder if itā€™s possible to fit 2 vescā€™s.

1 Like

Yours seems like a bit different than mine. Do u want to mod it? Iā€™m guessing u want to isolate the receiver wire.

Yeah, I guess I have a newer version. I have the C Board instead of the B Board, but I doubt thatā€™s the reason. The purple pcbā€™s remind me of osh park. lol I donā€™t have a problem with pairing/disconnecting because Iā€™m still able to brake when the led on the board starts blinking. I just canā€™t accelerate anymore until the board is reset. Iā€™m guessing my error is due to too many amps being drawn because Iā€™m so heavy, and/or Iā€™m accelerating too quickly. If I take it easy on the throttle, then the problem doesnā€™t seem to accord.

Argh, i canā€™t wait to get mine (i also ordered the C-board). Iā€™m 200lbs / 90kg so i hope i dont experience any problems. If i do iā€™ll probably test the setup with some Lipo batteries, to see if the amperage/voltage is causing the dropouts. If not then iā€™ll probably order the new dualvesc from ollinboards with a nunchuck :smile:

@NIK did your receiver mod improve the signal / fix the issue?

1 Like

Could you please make some pictures of the c-board deck? I canā€™t seem to find any info/side pictures of this version and i am wondering if there is a nice concave on it and how/if the front/back curves up etc.

Hi @Justin , I didnā€™t get any dropout since the minor mod. But weā€™ll see how it goes after several miles and I will post more update later. Enjoy and let us know what is your experience :smiley:

I hope this helps.

Yes it does. Thanks! Looks pretty decent for that kind of money :smile:

1 Like

any of you guys measured the output of the receiver? is it PWM?

Didnā€™t someone on endless-sphere confirm it was pwm? I donā€™t have an oscilloscope to test it.