Battery charging question

Like I told you, you had the chance to hopp in our group buy :smiley:

But the 25r is still a good battery, itĀ“s not like youĀ“re having a bad pack now :slight_smile:

I bet itā€™ll come at a hefty price increaseā€¦ @smurf, Iā€™ve been thinking about that but I donā€™t think I have the time to write itā€¦

he says ~50-70USD - not that bad actually.

What is the price difference per cell. If itā€™s any higher than that, itā€™s bs. Lol, I bet you he saw multiple threads showing that 30Qs are better and decided he could make a quick buck. I just checked, the price difference between 25Rs and 30Qs in bulk is 30cents. For a grand total of $12 increase in cost.

Thatā€™s what pisses the crap off of me of people like that. Making money on otherā€™s work.

Youā€™re going to be pissed at him a while then. His entire model from the beginning was to leverage the DIY community to fund proprietary development and ultimately develop a product that leaves DIY behind and raises margins. Itā€™s playing out exactly as i predicted a couple of years ago. Its not an uncommon model, and at least one positive result was this community, not to mention a seriously elegant drive system.

So i just checked pricingā€¦ NKON definitely has a great price on those 30Qs, so definitely worth switching over to them. Too bad when i loaded 50 of them in my cart they told me they didnā€™t have shipping options for my address. I was just trying to see what the total would be with shipping from Europe. Weird. I live in a house on a street. I wonder if thatā€™s an issue? lol

Edit: nevermind, they have a seperate site for ordering from outside of Europe. They ship via FedEx and it might take 3 weeks for them to get here but it still seems worth it. The price is still really good. Iā€™m just going to have to stay ahead if i want to reduce build times. One reason i like liionwholesale is because the shit is at my house within a week. Thatā€™s not worth the premium, though.

2 Likes

ā€œProprietary developmentā€ /sarcasm

i know, i knowā€¦ but i might know some things i canā€™t talk aboutā€¦

This is a wrong conclusion. Let me explain why. We have 2 cells: 25R and 30Q. Both are high current cells and both have end voltage: 2.5V So we can discharge these cells to 2.75V without worring about their health. But for example letā€™s take 2.9V limit as the safest. And letā€™s take 3 graphs - 5A 10A and 15A because we power e-boards and not led-lights.

So letā€™s start with Graph1. It shows us how much capacity is given by these cells from nominal (2500mAh - 25R; 3000mAh - 30Q) at 2.9V

25R (2,5Ah) 5A = 2.35Ah (-6%) 10A = 2.25Ah (-9%) 15A = 2.15Ah (-14%) 30Q (3.0Ah) 5A = 2.8Ah (-6.5%) 10A = 2.7Ah (-10%) 15A = 2.6Ah (-13%) Booth cells have almost the same results.

Graph2. It shows us how big the Voltage drop is at 50% of each cell (1250mAh - 25R; 1500mAh - 30Q)

5A: 25R - 3.45V; 30Q - 3.55V (difference 3%) 10A: 25R - 3.28V; 30Q - 3.46V (difference 5.5%) 15A: 25R - 3.18V; 30Q - 3.38V (difference 6%) In real life it means that at 10S setup with 40km/h top speed with 30Q cells, 25R cells will give us 37.6-38.8km/h top speed. Can you feel this 1.2-2.4km/h difference?

Graph3. It shows the behaviour of both cells at 20A (1250mAh - 25R; 1500mAh - 30Q)

25R - at 2.9V give us 2Ah from nominal 2.5Ah 30Q - overheated (70C) at 3.15V and gives at this voltage 2.1Ah from 3Ah nominal (the same peak you can notice at 15A Graph1 after 2.9V)

Conclusion Both cells are good. 25R is a good cool cell for a good price. But it has larger voltage sag (compare to 30Q: minus 3-6% or minus 1.2-2.4km/h at 40km/h board). 30Q is minimum 32% expensive and has 20% more capacity as 25R. Also 30Q are hotter as 25R so minimal setup for them is 4cells in parallel.

So in my oppinion ā€œmuch betterā€ is difference 10-15km/h at top speed. 1.2-2.4km/h is somthing that i can not feel, that means that both cells are good enough for e-boards.

Why would you take the voltage sag at 50% of each battery? Makes no sense.

Where do you buy your cells? It is more in the lines of 25% more expensive but with 20% more capacity plus less voltage sag. How can you say no to that?

While you guys are deciding what cells I should use, Iā€™m going to open this fresh new box of Pop Secret i just picked up when i rode my old ass 25Rs to Publix at 37mph while flipping the bird to a tailgator.

1 Like

Are they WORKINGā€¦ A need pictureā€¦ these 25R should had burn down your boardā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

WHAT are you trying to make money out of OTHER PEOPLE WORK ? :anguished: :grin:

You can take another % of nominal. The result will be +/- the same.

25R - 2.15ā‚¬/40cells 30Q - 2.82ā‚¬/40cells (25R+ā‰ˆ31%)

I dont say no to that if i will build 10s4p+ pack and when i will have 30% more money. :slight_smile: But when i will build cheap 3p pack or my budget is small i will choose 25R.

1 Like

MEEE??? Take advantage of free information and share literally every thing i use it for to the benefit of the general public as well as making enough cash to sustain my hobby? NEVER. Iā€™m insulted at the very idea. /s

If you look closely, you can see that its not quite on fire yet.

But let me tell you something. ONE of those cells will light a nickel strip up like a candle. Metal burns like paper for these guys. Luckily iā€™ve only had that happen once. I have, however, blown a few holes in soldering tips when my coordination failed me. I keep lots of tips around now. And the biggest fire extinguisher i could find at Lowes.

I just bought a spot welder with a wand so building these will get a lot easier in a few days as iā€™ll be eliminating the acrobatics needed to tack these together with the standard sunkko 788H front mounted welder.

let me know where you buy them for that price

nkon ā€¦

just post a link dude https://eu.nkon.nl/samsung-inr-18650-30q-3000mah.html they are far from 2.82ā‚¬ a cell at 40cells At least for meā€¦

https://ru.nkon.nl/rechargeable/18650-size/samsung-inr-18650-30q-3000mah.html

really weird: there has got to be something wrong here

Haha, lets buy the shit out of this shop!

Haha what. ā€œIā€™d like two orders of 20ā€¦ but please ship them togetherā€ :smiley: