Battery Backpack Chiboards Style

That is a neat idea thanks for it. My solution is to have a clockable xlr port which runs down to an xt90 port. Both ports pull off with ease. There is a wire in the cable mesh which which gives the cable itself strength.

Weakest points are the ports/connectors Incase they catch they fall off

1 Like

Ahh wait! Im using the same boost converter (white module on the bottom) and that thing gets really hot even with a heatsink and fan at 150W(50V 3A), id say if your going above ~80W your gonna need another fan and maybe a heatsink as well. Also id recommend another exhaust fan for the DPS5015 module as well because while it does have its own fan it isnt enough especially at higher currents. Other than that looks awesome!

2 Likes

Snap thanks for the expert advice. I’m gonna have to move these around a bit to accommodate for that. Better to do that now before it’s all wired up :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you think about just mounting them to a big aluminum heat sync.

Mounting which to a heatsink? The white converter yeah definitely below is a pic of how I attached mine its a slightly different model but similar. For the DPS module im not sure how you would transfer heat from it because it already has a small heatsink on it.

2 Likes

Hmm okay thanks. I’m gonna work on that then. I’ll lost progress here

Do you even really need the boost converter? You could charge a 12S battery directly from your battery backpack. And for under 12S use the step-down converter

Have seen a few mentions of inductive charging but I’ve used it on my Nexus 5 and it does make everything very warm which means energy lost and not great for the batteries to have extra heat while being charged and building up their own heat. Also because of inverse square magnetic field stuff any offset from perfect alignment or change in distance is going to result in more energy lost.

1 Like

Check this out

http://amzn.to/2DfnIUD

Thanks for the link! I’ll pick some up for testing :slight_smile:

Great idea! Just in case you plan a second version :joy:

11 Likes

Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

I was just joking but this should be better and you get more clearance at the bottom of the backpack:

5 Likes

That guys taller than me so this is actually fake news

5 Likes

Got any updates on this @barajabali ?

2 Likes

^

Bump

10 char

2 Likes

^bump again

I might be building one of these soon, as the sole source of power for a board. I know some people have talked about this, but how long can a cable be before it has issues? This would be 6 ft

1 Like

I would love to build one of these.

I tried this just as a range extender, the cable was two 10AWG silicone wires with quick disconnect bullets… I found the cable super annoying.

If this is going to be successful, you have to get creative with the cable so it doesn’t get in the way. I tried retraction clips with limited success. Taking the backpack off and on, or plugging and unplugging just to get on and off was a pain.

I have been using mine for over a year now. I have changed it a bit though:

I am now using a different bag. (an obed) Different techniques for insulation and shock absorption . I can also charge the bag and board from 1 charger. There is no display anymore (not needed) No on off switch either I changed the BMS to a supower BMS Its an all purpose bag. It carrys all of my tools I could possibly need for my Trampa. Charger, Spare tire and tubes, Spare antisparks and remotes.

My cable is 10 awg, maybe around 4 feet long. There is a Key-back to keep the slack tight but still allows me to move freely. The cable is never in my way.

Weight is 21 lbs with speaker, spare tire, inner tube, 12s9p battery, 7amp charger, and all the tools I would need. And the Obed makes that weight feel like nothing, very wide straps.

When I ride how I want, my 4 wheel drive Gear drive Trampa gets around 7 miles range, This adds another 23 miles or so. So I can get 30 real world, fast paced, do-whatever-I-want miles.

6 Likes