Battery Backpack Chiboards Style

That would be massive! Ive always been a huge advocate for huge batteries. I plan to run always start them off fully charged. If i wait until my board dies before plugging in then there will be a massive rush of current and i think ill fry a lot of components or damage my cells.

I do think it would be cool to wire it to my board so i can charge it at the same time but I want to be able to use this while camping or day trips when i dont have my board so I think that it having its on BMS maybe the better option for me personally.

Have you taken in consideration the amount of energy that you will lose by converting the energy back and forth. You could instead just charge directly from the pack instead. Only thing you wold need is a voltage regulator and a current limiter.

Yea I have. Ive found that the inverters that can operate with an input of 48v and output of 12-v ac are well over $150. i found one on amazon for about $110…

Do you have any links of items that you would suggest for this build

Let me make myself more clear. The board will be taking power directly from the battery backpack. The only thing that will need to be stepped down is the inverter which will be used for anything else. It may be used for charging the boosted boards in my group ride but mostly for camping and such

1 Like

I’m in the middle of examination time but if you rimind me after some weeks I might be able to help. :slight_smile:

Long cables are pretty bad story for VESC usually (surges in cables under load can occur easily) and potentially sources of bugs. Often read “keep your cables as short as possible”.

That’s why I was asking.

you can put some Caps in right at the end, that’ll reduce surges.

1 Like

Yea That I know the good thing is it will have a cap bank in it and the vesc will still pull from the boards battery.

1 Like

Was thinking of series that can’t be connected with different capacity packs. So in parallel it’s okay to run different capacity like 12s7p and 12s11p together?

You have 12s7p in a type 500 case? I can probably do that for additional 2p but I’m already predicting 40-80mile range on urethane depending on riding style for some epic trips on bike paths.

A chest strap is also key for that kind of weight. Good luck to your lower back!

This is something I have thought many times about. But like the others have said, the weight is much more comfortable in the actual board. A small trailer with batteries would be the better option.

That being said, I think a magnetic connector is mandatory for if you fall off. And lots and lots of caps. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?952523-too-long-battery-wires-will-kill-ESC-over-time-precautions-solutions-workarounds

Take a look here. It’s said for every 4" you’ll need 220uf of capacitance.

2 Likes

Why not just strap all of the cells onto a vest so you have even weight distribution?

Hes got some big batteries on his. /s

15 Likes

Yea in parallel it’s okay to run different sizes.

Yea there is still a lot of planning to be done with this pack which is why I posted it before I made it. Try to get some feedback

1 Like

Lol that’s fucked up

3 Likes

Hey thanks for that bit of info man! I’ll make sure to use it

Thinking of just getting this

Who the hell is gonna pull a trailer. And when you wanna stop at the store for a Coke are you gonna drag your trailer inside? Not saying it’s a bad idea, but definitely not the best option…

1 Like

I’m not to care for how I look in a crowd of people but I don’t want to be the guy riding an electric skateboard AND towing a trailer lol

1 Like

Just do you brother. But if I see with a fuggin trailer I am going to stop…and laugh…loudly… :blush:

1 Like

How about a small backpack with wheels? They actually already make them. I’ve seen this guy cruising with a fat subwoofer on a trailer. It just makes more sense then having that weight on your body when you’re trying to be maneuverable. And what if you fall onto your highly explosive battery pack?

1 Like

Let’s see you say that to my face human!

3 Likes

Wouldnt the battery on the board with short power wires act as a capacitor and dampen surges from the back pack?

How much will this back pack weigh? Ive carried a 20lb backpack while riding and, to be honest it really wasnt fun. The weight wore me down pretty quick.

What is the whr/mile comsumption on your 4wd so far?