Banner ads for esk8 parts

I originally came on this forum to research DIY esk8’s. I ended up buying a SpaceCell, VESC, and remote from Enertion, but I also picked up a Carvon Hub and a deck from Funbox. So yeah, I still spent hundreds of dollars, but because of this forum I also purchased from other vendors.

Sure, I could have machined my own hub motors, pressed my own deck, welded my own battery pack, vacuum formed my own enclosure, and soldered my own VESC, but I didn’t want to. Tooling up would cost too much and I don’t have the space for all that stuff. In the end, the tools and all the trial and error that goes into DIY at that level usually ends up costing more. I still came out with a sweet deck that’s customized to my exact specs. Something I couldn’t get on the open market and I still had to research all the parts, solder my connections, put it all together and program my VESC. I could have gone “more diy”, but you can always do more. We have people on this forum making practically every piece of an electric board from scratch, but no one does it all. That’s what makes this a DIY community.

Is there ESK8 as industry to choose? Also, for me the revenue for non-specialized ads is too low. So if yo can get only related ads with little effort(which seems to be the case), i would not use adsense on one of my sites. Also, i think it will looks less serious to use generic adsense stuff as everybody else does.

But only my 2 cents.

1 Like

I still disagree. There’s a lot of things you could have done that would have saved you a lot of money, even if you did screw up several times. I understand that not everyone has the space for tools in their home, and that’s why these kits are useful to some.

But if you have the tools and the will-power to actually build an electric skateboard from scratch, then you won’t find the necessary information on how to do that on this forum, or on Entortion’s website. Instead, you will find articles/videos on how to “Build a DIY Electric Skateboard in 12 minutes!” which is a glorified way of saying “Assemble our kits.” You will also find builds that use nothing but Entortion parts.

And this goes back to the advertisement up at the top. That further promotes Entortion, and the idea that you have to spend hundreds of dollars to get a good, quality, DIY electric skateboard. Again, if you find yourself spending close to a $1000 on a DIY electric skateboard, you might as well buy a Boosted Board, because it is a far more polished and professional product.

Google tends to analyze the domain that the ads are hosted on, and serve products that are relevant to that domain. So maybe it would be things like hobby parts? And oh well, that’s what ads generally come off as.

It does, i got some ads for 60,000$ CNC mills the last days^^.

I helped build a CNC mill for less than $1000. Besides, I’m not talking about milling things out. I mean, motors are a little too difficult to make, I agree. But soldering your own battery pack? C’mon, that’s cheap ($30 soldering iron). Motor mount and wheel mount? Literally, jigsaw. Maybe some 3D printed parts if you have one of those.

That is what i mean, the asds are totally off what i want, and just annoying instead of even interesting.

I have money right now that I want to donate. I think it would be a great way to keep the forum open. @onloop

I don’t consider myself cheap, and there are forums i pay for using. However this is and has been built by the community, if the model were to switch to pay-to-use - i’d likely just go elsewhere.

I’m fine with ads, but the legitimate contributions has been from individuals, so to switch now would be keep me from continuing to contribute and help others.

I have definitely sent plenty of $ Enertion’s way, and continue to send folks to them for components.

I’m not saying you have to pay to use, it would be optional. I have sent money to Enertion as well, but if donations are the only way to keep the forum alive if ads don’t work, I would be happy to donate.

Just curious how long it took you to grow the tree for your deck & where you dug up your copper/iron ore? Just kidding, but you see my point. We all stand on the shoulders of greatness.

In all seriousness, maybe we could just have an ads page, only have to look at it if your go there?

On the donations part, Jason has never said anything about not being able to support the forum. I get that it is expensive but I feel like donations would create to much work and tax headaches that in the end it would not be worth it.

Just my three cents.

True, I could have saved myself a few bucks, but that was never my goal. Yes, some people go the DIY route to get a good electric board for less $$. Most of us go the DIY route because we enjoy the experience of building and tinkering with our own boards. It’s not all about the money.

Yes, if you went out and bought all the Enertion Raptor parts and simply put them all together, you’d have an Enertion Raptor in a few minutes. But there’s nothing wrong with that, and who really cares?

some of us need a place like this because we are beginners like me who don’t have the knowledge YET, I have time constraints like running my business and raising a family, and limited room for a 3d printer to make my own parts. this coming from me a guy that makes his own wh…is…key…, home craft beer, and my own reloading. (yes it is misspelled on purpose) there’s not enough time to do all the things we want to. BTW: thanks to Enertion’s web site and the forum, I just ordered a deck, battery, dual motor kit (r uber +), vsec, 2.4 ghz controller, charger and extra 12mm belts. This after researching many different e skate web sites. ONLOOP…you’re doing something right!

Would be great if there were an option to ‘‘hide’’ the banner… I kind of hate it now when Im browsing / opening new thread using phone that the banner is the first one to show up… and it gets stuck sometimes… no forum just the banner ad…

Someone should come up with some background theory on banners / ads and psychology, impact on people.