"Bankrupt" (BUILDING!)/SINGLE BELT DRIVE/10S6P 18AH 30Q/VESC/ROYCE PRO/$1850

Quick and irelevent update. Isn’t that what this forum is used to?

Got all my packs welded done today. I used 47ms and the welds seem pretty good. Think I shorted a cell really quick cause it made a spark. I put a lot of pressure on a nickel strip to see how strong the weld was and there came a spark. Measured the volts and no damage was made.

Thanks for reading.

IMG_3296

IMG_3295

IMG_3297

IMG_3294

9 Likes

Okaaaaaay… I’ve made very little progress but it’s time for an update!

UPDATE #46

Glued my pack together, put some tape around it and cut some nickel

IMG_3303

IMG_3310

IMG_3311

My old 340A car battery was not strong enough to make good welds so I had to get a new one. Got this for free but turned out it lost too much power after each weld. The welds was also not strong enough.

IMG_3331

IMG_3321

Okay. Got a new big 700A car battery! NOW WE’RE WELDING! right? Well, turns out the battery had a lower output than 700A. Great! I have sent it to repair and I am currently waiting to get the battery back or a new one. They said a week, but it’s now been 8 days and no battery. Enjoy the pictures :slight_smile:

IMG_3335

IMG_3337

IMG_3340

IMG_3341

IMG_3344

IMG_3353

IMG_3355

IMG_3366

IMG_3367

IMG_3368

My original plan for the series connections looked like that

hard2make

They were pain in the ass to get perfect but I found a solution. Just lay them like this instead. Much easier!

easy2make

Ohh yea… Also shorted my battery. Think everything is fine. The nickel strip acted like a fuse. Just some burn marks.

IMG_3377 IMG_3378

To avoid the same thing happening to you always insulate positive and negative. If it had been the main leads it would probably had started a fire. I was lucky. Learn from other peoples mistakes and when you think “it’s not gonna happend to me” it is going to. As good old friend Crazy Russian Hacker says “Safety is number one priority”

IMG_3379

4 Likes

UPDATE #47

Finally got answer from where I bought the car battery. It got denied and they told me nothing is wrong with the battery. Great… Can’t get my money back from the car battery and it dosen’t work properly.

What im going to try and do now is see if the spot welder is broken. I don’t think so but it’s worth it trying. I’ve messaged a couple of guys on the forum about their car battery specs to contradict the shops claim that the battery is fine and to have some kind of proof.

Luckily I still have my old 340A battery and im pretty sure I measured the amps to be 380A. Which is 40A over the rated. Which means that if thats still the case, the 700A battery is broken and the spot welder works fine. Great!

Thanks for reading and remember to never let the challenges stop you.

2 Likes

UPDATE 48

Time for an update! Only 25 days since last and no progress made on the skateboard!

So what has been going on? Well I placed an order on Amazon for a new car battery and it said “Usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days” and me be like "great! I get a battery from a well known source and I will have it in a few days. Two weeks later without the battery has been dispatched I contact them and gets told “we have some problems with our system so the item is not actually in stock and we don’t know when it will be again”. GREAT AMAZON! THANKS FOR WASTING 2 WEEKS WITHOUT EVEN TELLING ME ABOUT IT!

Then I needed to find another place to buy the battery. Luckily the place I bought my 340A battery (Tayna Batteries) had it in stock and shipping time was only a few days. On October 24. I bought the battery and I received it today. It was well packaged and had no acid in the bag. Voltage was 12.56V.

IMG_3440

IMG_3442

IMG_3443

3 Likes

UPDATE #49

Finally! Got my pack welded and connected. The motor run! Still haven’t hooked up the bms and shrink wrapped it.

IMG_3493

IMG_3504

IMG_3502

IMG_3509

IMG_3511

IMG_3513

IMG_3515

IMG_3517

IMG_3518

IMG_3524

IMG_3520

IMG_3485

IMG_3491

IMG_3487

IMG_3532

IMG_3486

IMG_3534

IMG_3523

And today I finally turned on the board and tested the motors.

Video: https://instagram.com/p/Bp-chgYhjyu/

IMG_3537

IMG_3541

6 Likes

UPDATE #50

Got my vesc set up and WOW! It’s much more powerful!

(Not even close to full power :smiling_imp:)

Got my BMS connected but can’t charge the battery yet. The charger outputs 42.4V and pretty sure that’s too much. I’ve sent an email to Alberto and will hopefully will get an answer tomorrow.

2 Likes

Wait… Just realized one thing. When the charger outputs 42.4V each cell will be at 4.24v fully charged, correct?

1. Standard charge: CCCV, 1.50A, 4.20 ± 0.05 V, 150mA cut-off

That means each cell potentially can be at 4.25V safely?

Which means the conclusion would be that the charge output is correct and the battery pack won’t be overcharged?

edit: The BMS has a overcharge voltage detection of 4.28V. That means the charging will be interrupted when the voltage of a cell exceeds 4.28V. The 30Q max charge is 4.25V, doesn’t that mean the cell will be damaged before the bms turns off?

2 Likes

I turned on the charger. And look at that! It’s charging! I will probably turn it off when it reaches 40V.

IMG_3554

1 Like

I think you should be fine*, but ill bump for more opinions :slight_smile:

*as long as you use that charger specifically, as its set to 42.4

1 Like

It will be fine, it most likely won’t even reach that voltage once under load. I would expect it to reach 41.9-42.1v. I know that my adjustable charger I set to 50.5v and my 12s gets balance perfectly to 50.4 once removing the charger

2 Likes

European building seems to be a lot more expensive than in the USA. I’m in the UK and these extra taxes and shipping fees look prohibitively expensive!

2 Likes

I did the math recently and on my first build, after making a few mistakes and ordering most items from overseas I ended up spending over £700 on shipping, import taxes and fees.

There are some pretty decent builds on the forum for £700 haha. We get abused.

3 Likes

thats fucked :sweat_smile: :laughing:

buy a plane ticket and come pick them up by hand :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think it’s normal the BMS should bleed off any extra voltage as heat to balance them down to 4.2. You could check after the first full charge.

2 Likes

@lrdesigns Will do!

IMG_3555

Definitely also need a new charger. 5 hours since I plugged it in and only at 39.3V so far. Just don’t know which one of these two to get. Any suggestions?

1 Like

For the same price or cheaper you could buy a cc/cv boost converter and watt meter giving you a fully adjustable charger able to charge any voltage batteries up to 80v and all you need is a 12-24v input supply for powering it. @skatardude10 is using the same thing as me and I think he’s using it for a portable charger.

Here’s a pic of it currently powering a bt speaker im making

3 Likes

Yep, works great! Charging my 10S battery at 4 amps easy, and it’s adjustable

1 Like

Only problem is I don’t have a 12-24v input. I only have a wall socket.

But good idea for road charging or instead of having to buy 2 different chargers for 10a and 12s!

1 Like

Yeah that was my thoughts, I have a 10 and 12s board and to buy two 4-5a chargers it costs about $120

1 Like

Still going! Don’t worry, didn’t leave it on all night. Going to charge it to 42V and then the next charge around 41V for longer lifespan. IMG_3556

2 Likes