Attaching enclosure without drilling all the way through the deck

Paint does work great.

I’ve always used collars with tape on the surface of what I’m drilling so that the collars don’t Mar the work once you get to depth. Different strokes for different folks

I just know tape on the drill never works as the shavings go up the material evacuation splines and rip /press the tape out of place making for inconsistency when doing more then one hole

totally. Tape is fine for one time use but for repeated use its not really an option.

1 Like

If you live in a house with five women like I do, nail polish works great.

4 Likes

The question is… what will win the fight when you have to remove the enclosure every now and then… Woodglue/epoxy on the wood threaded inserts OR the thread locker you put on the screws?

In my first build I used nothing but the threaded insert (no resin/epoxy) and I used thread locker on the screws. When I tried to take them out, as you’d expect… the screw took the insert with it. Needed to be cut off with Dremel.

Im building a new board and Im about to attach enclosure. Almost tempted to screw straight into the wood with normal wood screws and bypass the threaded inserts… unless someone can testify that the epoxy’d inserts beats the thread locker?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that, I didn’t expect that to happen. I haven’t setup my new enclosure with threaded inserts yet, but I guess I’ll have to find a way to make sure the inserts stay in the wood.

1 Like

Use epoxy on the inserts, don’t need thread locker on screws. Wood screws may work, but may weaken once removed/reinstalled.

1 Like

Yeah, Ill use epoxy but when I didnt use thread locker initially on my current board, 5 min on a few bumpy Irish roads shook the screws out.

1 Like

Sounds like to much thread locker lol…

1 Like

Yeah, maybe.

I’m using a rubber gasket on the enclosure. When compressed it puts pressure on the screws, keeping them tight.

Or you may want to try a weaker loctite. I use a removable and unremovable loctite for different needs.

2 Likes

Yeah, Im using a rubber gasket too but it didnt keep them in without thread locker. Ill try epoxy on the inserts and less threadlock on the screws. Its always a trial and error in this DIY building game.

1 Like

Acording to @eboosted, if you use these…:point_down:

…you’ll break half of them when applying too much pressure in your deck. An absolute ‘pain in your royals’ to take them out later. They are made of some cheap zinc alloy.

1 Like

…unfortunately I bought a buch already before I knew this. So leasson here: dig, dig, dig the forum; learn, learn, learn before you buy things.

@Eboosted recomends these…:point_down:

20Pcs Flat Head Metric Threaded Blind Rivet Nut,M3 M4 M5 M6 M8 Insert Rivnut Nutsert Screw Stainless Steel (M4) image

2 Likes

Just use epoxy to fix them to the deck otherwise they will rotate with the screws and you will hace more pain in the ass trying to remove them.

1 Like

Anyone need a Pittman arm puller? I’ve got one ! Or a Toyota oil filter socket? Specialized tools, mmmm

1 Like

This reminds me of a funny thing to do at part stores. Go to the counter and ask for a 97 Toyota Tacoma Pump Gasket, then make them open it to check its the right one…

9 Likes

I used these ! Luckily I only damaged 1/12 of the ones I inserted, and it still works. Bugs me that my board isn’t perfect, but you can’t tell with the enclosure fitted. The key is to drill the correct size hole otherwise they break in a hole too tight…

1 Like

That’s the best thing I ever saw

2 Likes

Also countersink then slightly… How is that build coming along?

1 Like

I use these now:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Length-Stainless-Tapping-Threaded/dp/B01M0EV31W/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1527716116&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=m4+stainless+threaded+inserts&dpPl=1&dpID=41aDtachHNL&ref

10 Likes