Atom Camper - EMTB - MBS - Dual FOCBOX - 10s12p

Dual over canbus isn’t hard. Let me know when your ready and I’ll PM you screen shots you can refer too.

3 Likes

Oh man if you can ask for help setting up dual drive on focbox I don’t feel bad about doing the same in a week.

I’m really liking that charging port set up. I want one…

2 Likes

Sweet build! I look forward to your trailer hitch! Where is battery pack is that from?

It’s a bunch of 10s2p LG packs wired together for 10s12p. They’re all over eBay, usually go for around 50$-60$/unit now. They discharge about 20A each so if you buy them make sure to wire a few in parallel for enough amps. Use links through this forum if you want genuine cells.

Here’s real progress:

Got the cutouts in the enclosure done. Pictures are of off, charging, and on position. I decided that having the easy access port on the side and a retractable USB port was more important than 100% waterproofing, and the pictures and cutouts reflect that. Thanks to @mmaner for the 3d print file to hold the xt90, and no thanks to my school’s shitty 3d printer for making me spend 30 minutes carefully sanding it down to make the connector fit. imageimageimageimageimageimage

6 Likes

Got it slow charging at 1.2 amps right now to make sure everything is good before running it for real. It’ll be the 5 amp charger next time. Glad I made that easy laptop port, took all of 2 seconds to go from the 5 amp to 1.2 amp keeping the same waterproof connection.

7 Likes

Of all things in life that agree with me, computers never seem to be one of them. Tonight I booted up VESC tool and got working on the master focbox. I figured I would unplug the CANBUS cable for now, and get one focbox and motor working before moving on to the slave. Everything went right (connection, detection, master designation, PPM) until I did motor settings and wrote it to the focbox. For some reason, when I pull the throttle, the motor just sits and shakes itself with increasing violence until I let the throttle back to zero. The best explanation I can think of is that the focbox is out of wack with the hall sensors, because I triple checked everything else. Anyone mind telling me if my analysis is correct? I just took the default settings at face value since I have no idea what they meant, which is my best guess for the results. 21%20PM

@GrecoMan you’re usually good at keeping me in shape here…

Also the board is looking sooooo beautiful right now - I’ll upload some good pictures when I get the chance

Try running them sensorless and then run them sensored. Should isolate your issue

2 Likes

why to set the default values when you can run a motor detection? there the hall sensors should be set right, than apply and your issue should be gone. or did i get something wrong?

run motor detection in the welcome wizard and to select foc setting. Apply settings at the end of detection wizard

1 Like

Bump the duty cycle from .05 to .10 and then re-run BLDC detection. This has worked for me in the past. It typically means the belt tension is high or that something is obstructing free movement of the motor. That’s not necessarily a bad thing as some motors have more powerful magnetic resistance than others.

1 Like

Thanks to everybody, I got it working :smile: Both motors are spinning, now the only thing left is to figure out the goddamn belts. I haven’t ordered them yet because all of the calculators don’t allow 11:72 as input values for the HTD5 pulleys. Center distance is 97mm… I’d be open to any help with formulas or calculations that can help me figure this out. I want to get riding!!!

1 Like

Maybe you can use this

In combination with this image

But you need to measure your 11th pulley diameter. It’s unfortunately not in the tabel.

Or just install everything than lay a line around and measure after the length of the line

Awesome!! Thanks for the help. According to that, I need 420-5M-15 belts. Now to buy those…

1 Like

holy shit those are long belts… I use 295mm and they feel super long

I run 440mm on my MTB :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::see_no_evil:

Which mounts are you using? It’s hard for me to imagine anything longer than this.

1 Like

The mounts from nowind with a 15/72 gearing.

Trampa mounts with 15T/66T have 460mm belts :laughing:

2 Likes

marcmt88 MTB dual idler mounts and 15/72t gearing takes 465-480mm belts.

1 Like