Asking for a detail personal opinion on quality of the parts

I’ve been researching for almost a month so what I’m asking is a second opinion from anyone. Why’s that? It’s beacuse not all of us have a same point of view on things. I hope that you will be able to leave any kind of comment on this tread and It’s worth nothing that I strongly welcome the negative opionions.

Here is the link of a product:

http://www.diyeboard.com/10s5p-360wh-battery-esc-dual-motor-belt-drive-power-truck-kit-p-590.html?zenid=jd1grt45k7cogivb9hnm75ibk5

So what my real question is what can I expect from this build’s specifications? How does it compare to Raptor 2 or Boosted Board?

Thank you in advance and as noted above, every opinion is welcome!

This discharge on that pack is lower than the battery packs in a raptor or boosted. Meaning voltage sag is likely. Also, that pack weighs a lot.

i wonder what cells are in that 10S5P. That’s not a small pack.

drive system is likely reliable but not high performance.

more boosted than raptor. Not even in the same class as the raptor drive system.

The cells are LG mf1 Why it doesn’t provide high perfomance?

They’re small, inexpensive motors designed to work well but not shove out loads of power.

That cell looks kind of weak. Can’t immediately find a discharge curve on that but the specs seem mediocre at best. low current and low-ish capacity.

This would make a good beginner set up.

So how could I improve my board then? Which products should I buy later on?

I would not recommend this if you looking for more than a toy. Yes, it’ll probably work for a bit. How long, no one knows. But those cells can’t kick out enough amps and those motors won’t produce enough torque or handle the amps you need to get good torque.

As @longhairedboy said, it’s a good beginner board. But theres not a great path of upgrade for you…

You need to replace the esc, replace the battery, and replace the motors. Now, you’ll need a bigger enclosure for the battery and vescs, and those motor mounts probably can’t take bigger motors, so you’d have to replace EVERYTHING to improve the boards performance.

Better to buy better parts to begin with, so you don’t waste money.

If you can’t afford everything at once, start with good vescs (like the focbox) and buy cheaper motors, and upgrade those later. Or buy a smaller battery now and upgrade it later. This has no path to upgrade though.

1 Like

Can you reccomend me parts that would cost me not more than 450$ and that I’m able to buy and get shipped to Croatia(EU)?

Would save up more money. It will be worth it in the end. Otherwise, you will buy semi-crappy components only to upgrade them a few months later…and as mentioned before, an upgrade path will be next to impossible without replacing almost all parts. *Esc goes up to 50a, thus a better battery would not even make a difference *Replacing the esc? You are still stuck with a voltage sagging battery pack with poor braking performance due to low charge rate *Replace motor? Only a few options due to fixed bolting patterns *Belt tension incorrect? No way to alter thar

2x focbox (300 euro) 2x 5000mah 5s 60c Lipo (around 140 euro) Get a board plus trucks for which people here already created and are selling motor brackets Then you have your pulleys, belts, motors…

Alternative is a 6s build with car ESCs. Will be cheaper. Do a search for reliable car ESCs.

If you insist on getting the components you mentioned you might as well just get a meepo board.

1 Like

They are either LGmf1 or Samsung 22p. Both have around 2ah for cell and can discharge at 10A but the sag that you will get from them is out of any proportion.

. Maby 5p would help a bit with sag but still he would end up with 2.3 kg of batteries,

So basically the more I empty the battery’s capacity the less perfomace I would get?

This is true with every battery. I have issues with 12s4p sag with 20a rates cells. Those cells will sag like no tomorrow.

The reality is, you can’t build a decent board for under $1000 USD.

Seems everyone has good things to say about Meepo so that would probably be a better bet for you.

1 Like

Yeah with mf1 or 22p you need about double the P count you normally would need to keep discharge low per cell and limit sag I use them in 10s6p and 10s8p packs where size/weight doesn’t matter I don’t categorize these as “power cells” I consider them really good laptop cells…

Could you please explain what is the “P” count? Would really appreciate it

P= parallel 10s5p, means 5 parallel cells connected in 10s Discharge A is divided by P to get you discharge per cell I prefer to run these cells at 5-7A max Even pulling 5A for a while will heat them up

@Itz

I had a Meepo board for some days just to try it . They have the samme battery cells. I sold it some days after. If you read from the link you can get more info. There I try to explain the batteries and behavior… Meepo has only 20cells though .

Could I “mod” this battery to make it less saggy? Talking about changing the p count and s count(connecting batteries in different ways). Sorry if I sound dumb i didn’t quite understand things about the battery

Not really, if youre able to do that, just build your own pack

@Itz No. You cant . Thats the reason why these batteries are cheap. If you want good batteries they will cost more.

Samsung 30Q are the most prefered , here in this forum LG HG2

And I myself use Sony VTC6 and A123 25660(sony cells are harder to find i hear and A123 are expensive and heavier)

It doesn’t compare to the Raptor2, because the Raptor2 uses hub motors. That’s comparing two completely different things. This kit has real longboard wheels and the gear ratio can be tweaked and motors changed. As far as how it compares to a board from Boosted, I don’t know. Don’t have one LoLz

It also appears to be the same kit the Riptide R1 is using