Are dual motors actually worth the extra cost?

The loss is around 20%. To me the benefits of dual motors is about torque and most important the brakes there is more braking power in dual.

But since you are going to use disk brake you should go with the single motor that will have really good range.

Too bad i donā€™t have any single boards to test with. 100% duals on my builds

U could just unplug a motor and disconnect a belt. As long as the load isnā€™t so much as to make the motor run less efficiently. @Kaly but those attributes you list for Double arenā€™t exclusive to double, a bigger single can get the torque and brakes. Not maybe as good at handling though when doing accelerating or Braking?

I have a lot of hills and wind on my route. Not comfortable using a single 5065 or 6355 on it. Less strain on each VESC is also a great benefit to duals. I do theorize that my battery life would suffer if I did use singles on my daily route.

1 Like

The braking does not have to do with the motor but with the contact surface with tthe road and two wheels have more contact surface Than one wheel.

Iā€™ve never skidded a wheel accelerating or braking with two powered wheels, have u skidded a solo dive wheel when itā€™s not wet?

Yes i have skidded in both instances, but have better braking ability with the dual drive. One thing is that I prefers pneumatics or soft flywheels, because of the braking performance among other benefits.

To me, my dual motor Raptor feels more than twice as powerful when both motors are running compared to only one motor running. The difference in acceleration is night and day! Top speed is basically the same, but the torque available feels more than twice as much with dual motors - I was very surprised at how much less powerful it felt when I broke a belt and was running off just one motor.

1 Like

iā€™m on a tight budget :slight_smile:

I started with 6374 192kv on 12s and iā€™m really surprised how fast it is in both accelerating and topspeed 45-50km/u.

Of course dual delivers better performance but the comparison i read above is mainly not done with very powerfull 6374 single motors on 12s. I live in a flat area that helps but i also weight 97kg.

pros:

• cost
  • efficiency
  • simple design

dis:

• less torque
  • torque steering
  • braking force
  • grip
  • stress on drivetrain

So, does that mean the lack of torque produced by 2 hubmotors in comparison to two belt driven wheels would muliply the lack of torque by 2? Not arguing. I completely agree!

:joy:

1 Like

I guess so but depends on the details. Maybe youā€™ll come up and we can do some comparisons with a belt setup. Watthours to mile for a start. Torque I get enough of with two of these little motors. Definately more than boosted and itā€™s pretty close to the gt

But as far as the original questionā€¦id rather have one strong motor

Imagine two of those hub motors attached to a belt drive. They would outperform themselves. Just kiddingā€¦

Strong single for street board if your town is not SF. Dual for off road.

Frank

2 Likes

I just experienced the difference between left and right wheel drive. Or it is just my imaginationā€¦ When iā€™m driving with my left side forward, and left wheel pulling, the ride is stable. Same with right wheel pulling, it is not so stable. And doesnā€™t matter if the motor is on front or back truck. Iā€™m wondering, how it would be with dual motors? Any similar experiences? Iā€™m going to install a second motor anyway to get less strain for the belts.

dual rear? no. theres a difference but not enough. dual diaganol? absolutely! will be the next major change I make to my board! being able to pull from the front and back makes way more sense than just pushing twice as hard from the back. dual 149kv 6374 is lit! dual hubs could also be awesome

How would you calculate dual motors on the calculator?