Are DIY Electric Skateboards Cheaper? | The False Economy

Its also about having a better board. Evolve, Benchwheel, all those cats are mass producing proprietary controllers and other components which are not as good as the components we use (VESC, battery packs, motors, etc.). I would put either of my dual motor setups against a mass produced build any day. Mine will run longer, faster and be tons more fun because I know I can fox whatever breaks.

4 Likes

And youā€™ll get a fraction of the DIY boards performance for the same priceā€¦

1 Like

The sad truth is my build Costs, 380 Euro not including the Long-board i already own,

It uses Lipo batteryā€™s that donā€™t last long,

meepo boards Have same speeds good range and donā€™t use Lipos.

DIY is not for Budget builds but for customization,

2 Likes

Holy thread resurrection batman!

Budget builds are never truly budget builds. However once you get into the 1000USD+ range of spending, DIY is in fact cheaper in terms of straight up performance per dollar.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree But people like me want to start off small,

I hope i donā€™t get Burned

Who says lipos wont last long? I still daily riding the original zippyā€™s i bought 4 years ago . Also I can build a formidable board for $200.

5 Likes

Just donā€™t do it like me lol. Wasted way too much money and my only working board was given to me. Penny nickel is still in progress s year later

Iā€™ve made way too many mistakes building my first esk8, cost me way too muchā€¦2 dead VESCs, 1 useless motor mountā€¦at the end I spent way more than I wanted, but still it was worth it :slight_smile: I still didnt finish my board to the state I would like (and I wont any time soon) because there is always a room for more progress :smiley:

Iā€™m planing to Not fully charge and set cut off voltages for long lifespan,

200$ how?

Edit: Saw your budget builds Epic!

It is possible, if you live in the USA and use 6S voltage and go for used parts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone, I live up at the University of Vermont, a very hilly area and iā€™m looking to build my first electric longboard this summer. I weigh around 200 lbs and have to be able to carry a backpack with books and my laptop and such as well so budget around 220 lbs. Iā€™m on a pretty tight budget and would really like to stay under $350-$400. With my weight and the hilly area I understand that a dual motor setup would be the best in terms of torque and efficiency. Does anyone in a similar situation have suggestions for parts for the build? I already have a deck from a sector 9 longboard.

From my view, you will spend the same money as on a boosted board(1000$ model), but will get 5x the spescs

1 Like

On a budget I would use a single 6374 190kv motor on a really wide 10s pack, like 10s5p or better so you have plenty of amps. Look through the builds (#e-board-builds) thread, youā€™ll find lots of info.

I would recommend Using Lipos they have high discharge and donā€™t cost a lot. So keep your eyes peeled for sales at hobbyking.

I agree with @mmaner

So the recommendation is a Big motor with a High amperage battery. (A high Amperage battery is key for hill climbs and torque.)

1 Like

I also considered building my own battery with 18650 cells to save some cash, I didnā€™t think that a single motor would work all that well from what Iā€™ve looked into so far and that they might heat up too much on some bigger hills but Iā€™ll do some more research, also forgot to mention I want to be able to hit about 20-25 mph. Thanks for the feedback though @mmaner and @Blitz

As a new member, doing research. This entire page needs to be updated and preferably remove the false equivalencies & crap talking. I read this entire thread and didnā€™t learn anything about electric skateboards except that enertion writes incredibly egocentric articles.

Edit: All of what was said could have been true in 2015

3 Likes

Fully agree with you Marcus. Newbie here too. Itā€™s been 3 years and there has been a huge improvement in preassembled boards and esk8 tech in general. Young Chinese entrepreneurs are realising that shit components at lowest cost is not what the rest of the world wants anymore, and brands like Wowgo, Meepo, TeamGee, Ownboard, Verreal, all make decent consumer grade boards now. So if I were Enertion, Iā€™d edit the trash talking post (wouldā€™ve been true in 2015,but itā€™s 2018 now yo) so he doesnā€™t make himself look like an idiot.

With that being said, I do agree with the general thesis of the post and appreciate the time and effort taken to write this. Cheers and happy building.

LOVE the article. I just went hog wild on my first build! I spent about 600 for lipo chargers, 2 5S 30C batteries, a ESC and a dual hub motor build as a small first build. I plan to later build a much nicer board but I wanted to do a prof of concept to get my feet wet with this hobby. if all goā€™s well with this first build I will deffently be planning a bigger build. I do have a go big or go home type montra but I always want to take it slow building up to my idea. anyways hope to get to know more of you guyā€™s well and learn more about eskate!

Hi everybody,

I am new here, it was nice to read your contributions.

As a lot of riders, I am looking for a board. to complete DIY vs pre-build way to reach this goal, did you try alternative as group buying or second hand?

Do you know if some vendor/shop get refurbished marketplace?

I am living in Europe, and plan to buy a board. currently, 3 options are shortlisted: Bioboards, DIY (direct drive), Evolve (alphabetic order).

One is black-listed, but as I do not plan to go into looping discussion, I will blank their id.

Do you think that some riders from Europe (Please do not see any restriction, but as this project will my first group buying experience also, I prefer to be on the same ground for shipping, if someone gets experience with worldwide, let go) would take into consideration a group buying as https://groupgets.com or another site?

Hi, I think this depends on how much money you want to spend and how much time and if any, are u willing to spend on diy build.

Otherwise I would maybe better get Lacroix board, if shipping cost is not very big for getting it from US to EU.

Interesting concept about groupbuysā€¦

Though, I think there should be some more options to choose fromā€¦ especially if u are in top tier board segmentā€¦

Personally still dont know if new GTR evolve board is up to spec considering battery, even if their remotes seem to be upgraded by now

1 Like