Are 50mm OR 63mm Motors Better on V4.12 VESC?

I am trying my best! I set up a 12s board with a pair of 200kv OM5065’s running 16/36 on 90mm abec and have been riding it as hard as I can. I will continue to use this board as my “daily driver” and see how they fair. I already know these motors are perfect for a lower gear ratio with a top speed around 25 mph. The added benefit of not having exposed windings puts these motor in a whole different category when we start thinking about real world durability.

3 Likes

Nice! I may swap out my enertion mounts for yours once you have them up.

no problems with heat here buddy… but thanks for your advice anyway…

also, feel free to make a video & get a temperature reading on those motors of yours after some hill climbs… i think the alum heat sink will benefit you.

Just bare in mind that aluminium at 6mm thick will snap eventually… I know this because i have been designing & building esk8 drive trains for a lot longer than most on this website (Alien & DIY mounts eventually snap). It’s also very difficult to make the motor mounting plate thicker than 6mm due to the limited space on a standard 184mm wide truck when mounting dual motors, this might not be a problem with Chaka’s motors anyways because they can’t be mounted in Dual configuration. So he can probably make thicker plates, or maybe he will use steel as it will still help to wick away his high motor heat.

Pure Carbon fiber plate at 6mm thick has a higher tensile strength and does not get fatigue fractures like aluminium will.

Your best bet is to use motors that don’t heat up & use the stronger carbon fiber plate.

I wonder if it’d be a better design decision to use a carbon fiber/aluminum plate hybrid for esk8 motors. I’m currently running dual diag, but may switch to dual rear if @torqueboards ends up selling a extra wide caliber trucks. I’m a believer in 50mm motors given the great performance of my GT with a ridiculously low 2.13:1 reduction. They do get a little hot sometimes, but nothing as crazy as hub motors. Interestingly enough my toe motor on the GT gets a lot hotter than the heel motor.

I’d like to upgrade to 63mm motors at some point, but by then, the VESC 6.0 will probably be out and make this entire thread obsolete; not to mention the BLDC vs FOC debate!

there is no guarantee that the VESC 6.0 will ever be released to the esk8 community.

Why wouldn’t it? That’s exactly what it’s designed for. Unless your insinuating that he may sell the design to a major manufacturer? I’m willing to bet the project will be community centric, even if it ends up being close sourced.

well, not really. Vedder is not making his ESC specifically for esk8 community & he never really had intended it to be so popular in this industry, it just happens to be perfect for it though.

but he’s a nice guy, and i think he will make this open source again. and even if he sells his design, someone will sell it to us

Haha! I was wondering who started this rumor. I have been getting emails from people asking me this for the past few weeks.

The VESC has always been open source and will continue to be open source. Benjamin has been very open about this so I don’t know why Jason would start a rumor like this.

2 Likes

Don’t count your chickens before they hatch brother.

… at this stage it is not available, so there is definitely a chance it won’t become available.

When v6 is released I will continue to use these 50mm motors. I really enjoy the added ground clearance and efficiency. I do think 63mm will be great for an off road build!

When you say the motor will get hot. Will I feel this on the can or with a sensor? I’ve been up some decent hills with the Enertion pro+ kit @95kg and I can hold my hand on the can and its warmish and not at all hot.

The can can get very hot, i once was completely unable to touch it! This can happen on any size motor. Just saying that “hot” can mean pretty toasty. If your motor is just warm to the touch, I wouldn’t consider that hot.