Aps80mm motor issues using etoxx aps80mm direct drive

Hello everyone,

I recently bought the alien aps 8055 70kv 6000m motors and etoxx/ jens kappels aps80mm direct drive motor mounts. I’m running 2 vesc six configured with 2 6s zippy compact 40c 6200 mah lipo batteries per vesc running dual rear direct drive. Im lost and starting to lose hope in this build as my motors won’t turn without giving them a push. The wires that come off the motor i believe are to small for the power which they are rated at and are copper wires coming straight from the magnetos with heat shrink tubing and no bullet connectors, seems like a poor design to me. Is my problem with the way the vest are configured or is it with the way that the motors are designed? Am i using to low kv motor? Should I be using 165kv or even 250kv motor? Also, is my battery setup with the mah to high or to low for the setup? Does anyone have any experience running this setup? Is there any other motors that would be recommend to use with the motor mounts i already have? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

you need sensored motors otherwise there is always start problems when starting from 0.

I have these motors - https://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/c8085-sensored-outrunner-brushless-motor-170kv-6000w/

1 Like

The kV of the motors are really low, but this should only be good for strart-ups. As said, you’ll need sensors to get really smooth start-ups. Could you please take some pictures of the motor wires? Didnt quite understand…

Im not sure if you are familiar with Jens kappel but he has a website called e toxx where he sells direct drive mounts and i bought two of the aps 80mm direct drive motor mounts which, if I’m not mistaking, can only be used with the aps model motors. The motors that I’m looking at getting now is the “APS8072S Sensored BLDC motor 165KV 6000W” or “APS8072S Sensored BLDC motor 250KV 6000W”

53%20AM

https://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/aps8055-sensored-bldc-motor-50kv-4500w/

this is the link to a similar motor just different kv and watt. I can’t even find the same kv and watt motor that I have and just bought from alien power systems a couple months ago. Makes me wonder if they have had problems with this particular one?!?!

you dont want 250kv that to high. I have the drives from jens and he told me to get the c8085 sensored motors and not to go over 200kv

Missing allot of information. Did you even run motor detection? What do you mean with motor needs a push? Unsensored will usually cog with load, but should turn fine without load.

As for KV, for 5:1 149kv-200kv will be OK. Below 149 will severely impact top speed. Above will decrease torque the higher you go.

So you have the same motor mounts that I do? I guess I’m still a little confused as to why the bigger 80mm motors have smaller wiring and just heat shrink tubing around them where as the 60mm motors have bigger wiring with a lot better insulation and bullet connectors already soldered. When I clicked on the link to the c8085 motors there is a shaft coming out of both ends why is this? Also, is there anyway you could post a picture of your motor setup with the motor mounts.

Ran motor detection and detected them perfectly fine. I have to kick of the board as I’m mashing the throttle button in order to take off. I was playing around the other day with the throttle on my remote and If you push the throttle ahead VERY slow it works fine but if you just try throttling at a normal push on the joystick it cogs and jitters until you spin the motor then it takes off. I also have a 1:4 helical gear ratio. I figured using the low, 70kv, would provide good torque and take off to do those wheelies :joy:

Foc or bldc?

the motors are bldc I configured them in foc mode

@telnoi the motors are bldc I configured them in foc mode

[quote=“gibbsc16, post:9, topic:73829, full:true”] So you have the same motor mounts that I do? I guess I’m still a little confused as to why the bigger 80mm motors have smaller wiring and just heat shrink tubing around them where as the 60mm motors have bigger wiring with a lot better insulation and bullet connectors already soldered. When I clicked on the link to the c8085 motors there is a shaft coming out of both ends why is this? Also, is there anyway you could post a picture of your motor setup with the motor mounts. @Klaerke91

See if bldc does a better job. Would at least confirm if this is hardware or software related.

Redo motor detection.

1 Like

@Klaerke91 I just ordered the c8085 motors with reworked shaft including

• shaft external length = 30mm

• shaft external diameter = 10 mm

• keyway length = 25mm

• keyway size = 3mm

• keyway distance from end shaft = 2.5mm

nice. i have the 12mm shaft and i dont use a keyway. i use locktite - https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/retaining-compounds/loctite_638.html

Just dont get it in your motor.

and just so you know. i haven’t finished my board yet, so take that in to account. I can screw up just as much as you

Oh pooooppppp…does the motors atleast fit on the motor mounts and on the hanger mounted to the deck? Or have you not got that far yet @Klaerke91

if you got the motor i linked to they will fit with 10 and 12 mm shaft. You need to cut off the shaft on the back and some in the front to make it fit the mounts, but its easy if you take it slow and measure before cutting

Sweeeettttttt i sent aps the information based off the ones i already have that fit so they can do the cutting and they’re cutting the other end off that isn’t needed. How do you feel about the quality of the wires coming out of the motor? I sent aps an email regarding the wires and if they could upgrade them to heavier gauge wire and bullet connectors like come on there 60mm motors. When do you think you’ll be testing? Cant wait to see!! @Klaerke91