Anyone ever dyed Orangatang wheels?

you just use roughly around 1 cup per 3 gallons of water and one full bottle. (thats what it says on the site for clothes)

Im not sure how much water is in the pan, i would say roughly 1 litre - 2. i added around 3 tablespoons of salt and made sure to dissolve it for 10 minutes. you want to make sure all the salt is gone so it won’t scratch the wheels and damage them.

I still have the other wheels to dye so next time i do it. I will follow the formula above and divide the measurements accordingly. I will still use one full bottle though as it will make it stronger.

1 Like

This may be a little overkill but if someone is doing this regularly a wonderbag is a great way to maintain heat while not subjecting the wheels to direct heat:

Cheaper than any sous vide options and it stays hot for very long time. I slow cook things overnight in mine all the time and it’s still too hot to eat in the morning.

that’s pretty cool guyguy! how big of a pot does it hold? It looks kind of bulky though - take up a lot of storage?

It’s bulky, but it’s filled with foam so you can really pack it down. When I don’t use it I just roll it up and put it in a large soup pot in my cabinet. I usually use a 7 qt dutch oven and there’s room to spare.

Raf and I had success using ordinary Pots. If you follow our methods, you should also have success at only the cost of Heat, Salt, Liquid Dye (powder works too but you need more time), Big pot or disposable $ 1 store pans, stir and patience. I was surprised how well it worked on my Fly Wheels and bushings, and Raf’s kegels look great. I do like the wonderbag and sous vide methods but you don’t need them to get a nicely dyed wheel. Try it, it’s great getting the color you want out of the wheels and bushings you like best.

2 Likes

thanks for the response, would you mind posting pictures to see how they turned out? i heard fly wheels are a lot tougher to dye

i posted them a while back above in this thread. Pic with all the dyed bushings.

1 Like

ahh yess, sorry didn’t see the username, yeah they turned out amazing

Got same as you ! Will try with salt and hottest watter :slight_smile: you made more try ?

@ll : Thanks for this topic and all this help !!!

I got this actually after 2 x 24h submersion (not bolling watter, just alf packet of tint) :

will do an other one ! see yaaaa

more info about the fail : here

1 more bath 24h alf packet, boilling watter + salt

flash off

flash on

… always not the result I hope, but now I just want a decent shitty brown and that all … I order 1 more packet for 2 more 24h bath and will stop this catastrofic experience :smile:

I you get any more advices, thanks e-riders !

1 Like

@Riako Have did you make them black in the end? U havent ‘documented’ did you repeat the procedure or u did something else?

Here it looks like u managed to get them nice black:

2 Likes

Yes, it almost balck now :blush: I used the same process 4 times (or 5 or 6 … I haven’t count) but I had 1 glasses of vinaigar per litre of watter, works lot better for me …

So i decided to give this process a try with my abec 11’s. I have a 90mm set and a 97mm set which i used black and dark blue accordingly (though the blue looks black in the end). I failed the first try using standard RIT dye, found out it simply has to be polyester specific dye, so i used dylon synthetic from the craft store. Mix the dye components in a large pot and brought to a boil while stirring. Removed the pot from heat source and let sit a minute. Then i placed in 4 wheels and closed the lid for 45 minutes. Clean the wheels after with soap water and finish with an isopropyl wipe. I am happy with the results, especially in light of the new evolve 107mm black wheel :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I wonder if there is a measurable difference in bounce after diying?

1 Like

Bumping a dead thread, bookmarked. Anyone else done this that hasn’t shared? Anyone notice change in wheels perfectly after?

I dyed some 70mm Abec Grippins. Perfectly black, no chipping still soft.

I’ll upgrade to O’tang Baluts as soon as I dye them black too.

(Usig RIT Anthracite Fluid)

I’ll post the results here

1 Like

20171011_174623 20171011_195011

Did my 97mm and 90mm abec flywheels and they turned out really good.

2 Likes

I have black 97mm and 107mm abec 11s but the core needs to change (at least on the 107s, it works with the colors on my other board) Curious what colors id be able to get the bright green superfly cores to take.

telegram-cloud-document-2-5336812249023513131 telegram-cloud-document-2-5336812249023513133

Has anyone done a custom color on there wheels? I’m looking to dye my kegels teal.