Anyone else think the carvon hubs are not really inwheel?

I mean you can hardly call it an inwheel motor when half of it is outside the wheel and covers the axle to the middle. Maybe I’m just pedantic here but I like it better when the whole motor is encapsulated like you see in other designs.

The advantages of the Carvon design are: Larger stator and magnets. Better cooling because only ½ of the motor is in the wheel. They also have cooling fans that draw air through them to add additional cooling. Actually, I don’t recalll them ever being referred to as “in wheel motors” or wheel motors. They are referred to as “hub motors”

3 Likes

Lol thread over lol

3 Likes

Lol.

In Yo Face

Lol

2 Likes

Carve on, my brother. Carve on. :punch: Personally, I like the way your hubs look and the fact that they are kind of their own unique hybrid design. But I’m a function over form type of guy, so…

2 Likes

well tyvm for the profound answer, my cockiness didnt expect. I heard that heat is the big issue with hubs so I kinda suspected that this was the main reason for it…

1 Like

3 Likes

Any pointers for those (like me) who want to make their own hub motor? What would you have done differently? Anything to avoid?

1 Like

Lever show us some tech on your V3’s please.

The V3’s would seem to solve the thin urethane issue with boards like Inboard and Stary.

I really like the idea can just use an off the shelf ABEC type wheel without modification.

Any release plans or observations about how they compare?

1 Like

Carvon- the only hubs that actually do what they are intended to do

1 Like

I don’t think anyone’s ever referred to Carvon’s as inwheel. I’ve always taken it at face value that Jerry’s motor out design was 100% functionality first. After putting many, MANY miles on them across all kinds of terrain and I can now appreciate what he was going for after V1. @LEVer I know you’ve always been a little self conscious about the aesthetic but dude, V2.5 and Abec11’s are a match made in heaven. I’m always getting compliments on the drive train because it’s unique and it just makes complete sense. Embrace it man!

3 Likes

From a practical standpoint, there’s an advantage to having the motor halfway outside of the wheel. A motor takes up a lot of space which makes for thinner urethane. The less urethane you have, the rougher your ride will be. Especially when it’s over a metal shell vs. plastic. The Carvon’s maintain a fair portion of the original plastic wheel hub and full thickness urethane at that end. Softer ride and less chance of your urethane detaching from your wheel since it’s bonded to plastic.

While having the motor entirely within the wheel is aesthetically more pleasing, it’s not without drawbacks. What interests me about the V3’s is that it maintains the original wheel hub. So if I’m dropping off anything or going over a rough patch, there’s less direct impact on the motor. Plus the ride will be a little smoother and I can rotate my drive wheel.

2 Likes

Save the scraps, melt them and turn them into handballs.

3 Likes

Is it possible for you to mount v3’s on paris trucks like you did for v1, provided I send you the trucks?