Anyone else have trouble torquing down motor mount to trucks?

I did offer solutions…

I suggested your clamp might be too far to the inside.

This could still be the issue depending on how far out on the shaft the motor pulley is mounted.

I suggested there might be an issue with the TYPE of clamp you are using.

I explained how I did it with no issues.

Yall can get pissed all you want, it doesn’t change anything. There’s thousands of these clamps out int he world and may 10 people have had an issue. Seems likely that the 10 people might be the problem and not the clamp.

To address specific points. I ride at 15mph average, typically peak at 25mph, uphill/downhill on pretty crap’tastic roads. I weigh close to 200 lbs. I get tons of vibration and rocks flying up as I ride almost everyday. I haven’t touched my clamps since they were installed and no movement at all.

If you install the to side grubs first, most problems go away. Drilling a seat into the hanger is SOP, which is what I do with all motor mounts, silly not too. If the grub screw is backing out, it seems likely the issue is locktite, try red locktite and let it cure for 8 hours, although blue should be fine.

I agree that a motor clamp is likely easier to install for most people, but its harder to align. I personally prefer the old Enertion style clamp using 2 bolts to clamp onto the hanger, but different design types have different merits.

Regarding…

I’ve built about 15 boards over the last year. SInce you joined a few days ago, I would suggest you assume that maybe someone knows a little something that you might find useful. When you said ‘because you indeed need all 4 otherwise it will shift when under load’ you were incorrect. You DO NOT need all four. I’m just suggesting you do some research or ask some questions, hell maybe both, before sharing the opinion that something is flawed.

1 Like

If you install the to side grubs first, most problems go away. Drilling a seat into the hanger is SOP, which is what I do with all motor mounts, silly not too. If the grub screw is backing out, it seems likely the issue is locktite, try red locktite and let it cure for 8 hours, although blue should be fine.

This is what I was saying, My grub screws we’ren’t backing out, my mount was walking because there was no seat. When impacting something it would cause it to shift, at which point the load from the motors would worsen it. Impacts would just make the tiny teeth walk - not back out, so then there were grooves from the teeth + impact for them to walk in. the only thing that solved it was drilling seats.

I’ve built about 15 boards over the last year. SInce you joined a few days ago, I would suggest you assume that maybe someone knows a little something that you might find useful.

ah yea this could have been useful, but you weren’t. Maybe my original statement of under load was wrong. But what i meant was load makes alignment worse after impacts when only using 2 or 3 or even 4. The only thing i found was to drill seats.as setting on the flat surface of fresh trucks gives them the chance to move sideways with impact. having them in drilled coned seats doesn’t allow that option.