Another integrated deck project

hyperbeasts is on the top tho…spose be water resisstant

Hyperbeast and Evolve both made that mistake, and is why I’m not interested

Could do some 2D milling followed by this: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/re-building-loaded-vanguard-with-bamboo-fibreglass-carbon/10460/91

Stop saying that on every thread about integrated deck it’s bullshit I had the raptor 1 for 2 years and I would always ride it in the rain bc it’s in CF and I never had a drop of rain coming in from the lid. Stop saying this BS all the time about top lid it’s annoying if u are not able to properly seal a top lid don’t misinform peoples plz . A properly sealed lid will never let water get in.

9 Likes

Yes you are absolutely right and that’s how I made other curved areas. I just don’t know how to find a toolpath in such iregular shape like those wheel wells. It’s my lack of skill in Fusion for sure. Maybe someone can help?

Cars have sunroofs. That must be bad for waterproof too :neutral_face:

2 Likes

That’s amazing! Thanks for tip :wink:

Funny you should say that. Every car I’ve ever driven or owned with a retractable moon roof or sun roof ended up leaking due to seal degradation.

2 Likes

Never say never. Everything gets old and worn-out. My point is that if you you with gravity instead of against it, you will be better off.

And yes, I have personally had top-mounted lids on carbon leak when they get old.

most people don’t know how to properly seal a lid. on a production board, that can and has been a problem. I used to do raptor repairs for Enertion back when the Raptor 1 was selling. Water damage was most of what i saw. Rusty batteries from the factory using shit nickel, crusty deposition on PCBs, etc. However, the Raptor 1 had huge gaping holes in its lid for the charge port and power buttons and fuel guage. Riding that in the rain in a stock configuration would be tragically stupid.

I also see a whole lot of gross inside the Evolve Carbons and always have to clean out the bays before i can drop the new packs in. Not just moisture deposition, i’m talking full on dirt, even mud.

There are good ways to implement a top lid that will work. Unfortunately, it seems like no one is using them. closed cell silicone foam is a good start but usually its too thin.

I have stuck with bottom mount boxes for simplicity, not because i favor one over the other. However, simplicity is often the best choice when trying to eliminate a problem related to complexity.

1 Like

Seal can degrade with time but so as any other part. I’m considering bottom mounted lid… it gives problems but also opportunities. Don’t have enough time to test both and it would be the only way to find out.

but doesnt more water hit the bottom than the top from the wheels spinning up road water versus just rain… the new boosted board has went with a top mounted lid too

Yeah as for myself with the raptor 1 I have done again 2 time the seal because it would be worn out over time. When riding in rain I simply always used duck tape to seal everything for the ride ( screen, charging port…)

• I had covered the whole deck of grip tape so the side of the lid couldn’t let water in

That is correct. Which means that no matter which decision you go with, you’re going to have to know how to properly implement a seal that lasts.

I use silicone sealer on my boxes. I don’t reccommend that for tinkerers that want to get inside and mess with stuff every day because you’ll just spend a lot of money and time buying and waiting for silicone to dry. For that, a thicker closed cell silicone foam gasket would likely be the best choice.

2 Likes

lol you’re not alone. I saw a lot of tape residue over the ports on a few lids.

I’ve been known to tape my flange when i don’t want it sealed but i need to test and there’s water everywhere.

1 Like

Just griptape design, no lid on top

1 Like

I hope im still in for one of those 5!

Yea and like most people that own cars probably didn’t di-electric grease soak their seals once a season to prevent dry rotting of the rubber buttle…

Just saying maintenance is required… like anything…

1 Like

Totally agree.

Sure you in! I hate that is taking so long but can’t do it faster. Probably some final prototype in next week. I’m finishing enclousers for stewii so should be able to do it now.

1 Like