All new 2019 VESC-Tool release

Which bluetooth ? He has 2 diffrent ones i believe. For some reason the vesc tool sees my bluetooth but it wont let me connect it. I have the bluetooth from xmatic app

I only see one there and I havenā€™t tried the 2019 VESC Tool yet, so I donā€™t know.

1 Like

Id take a pic of one, have 2 spareā€¦cant find em atm. Bought em from a friend.

1 Like

So the new foc wizard is all good but curiously on my dual 6374 motor 12s4p 25r, the battery current was set to 99 for each focbox! I changed them both back 40 amp max per motor. @trampa, is this high value an error? It did not do it for single controller builds though

1 Like

@trampa, How will new features be presented ? I see for example a new commutation type called ā€œGPDriveā€. What is it ? Canā€™t find when I google it.

The battery values can be set manually during setup. Performances wise the battery value is not so important, as long as it matches the motor values or is set higher. If you use powerful motors, you really want a battery that can deliver an adequate amount of Amps! However, if your battery is the weakest part of your system, you can limit the Amp flow to an acceptable value for the battery. During setup you can enable the custom values box for advanced settings, allowing you to limit the battery values. Vesc-Tool can find out max values for the motor, it knows the capacity of your battery, but it canā€™t know what kind of battery you are using, so you might want to fire in values that work best for the cells that you use. Your motors can drain approx 70A each, so 140A would flow from the battery at full duty cycle. With 40A battery max per motor, your system starts to cut back power at around 56% duty cycle. The downside of such setups is a non linear response to the throttle. You will experience a lot of punch till 50%duty cycle and then there is a steep drop in power. If you want a linear response to the throttle you should limit the motor values to match the capabilities of the battery.

2 Likes

Benjamin will make a set of videos soon. We will try to integrate the video tutorials into VESC-tool. GPDrive is a general purpose driver, allowing you to drive pretty much anything incorporating spools and magnets. A VESC SIX can drive a 3500W subwoofer, using GPDrive. We only tested 300W so far. The house was shaking! Another thing GPDrive has been used for, was activating a plasma flame to act as a plasma speaker. Singing flamesā€¦

5 Likes

Hi Downloaded on my pc the new version vesc tool But I have to go back to the old version I use Bc when I configure everything only one motor spin the second one (vesc slave no) Any idea Thank you

This sounds really interesting. First person to incorporate singing flames shooting out the back of your esk8 gets ā€œbuild of the yearā€ LoLz

6 Likes

Let me know please

I understand all of that, the point was that on single motor builds the wizard gave values below 60 amps but for dual motor build it set amps to 99 each! That would be a 10p battery!! Just sayin it is a strange value to be set there, even with your explanationā€¦

1 Like

BLDC detection is possible. In the VESC-Tool App you can go to the Motor config tab and hit the three little buttons bottom of the page. In the desktop Vesc-Tool you can use the menu on the left to find the BLDC motor configuration.

The VESC-Tool App allows you to connect to each VESC in an array, so you can connect to the Master first and then connect to the slave. Can forward connection can be found on connection page, below the wizards. The desktop version also features can forward.

I upgraded mine using bluetooth without opening the enclosure but for the second one I had to open and burn the new firmware using USB. The motor config was so easy this time, everything else is the same. And oh the mobile app has some cool dials now and after entering gearing ratioā€™s and tire dia you get the speed. I am sure I have to do some correction to the wheel dia to get the perfect speed/distance

1 Like

Simply measure the wheel diameter and you should get very accurate readings. If you use a CAN link, there should be no need to use a USB cable. Running two ESCs, CAN is the only correct way to interconnect the ESCs.

I think dual receivers is more reliable, because one failure doesnā€™t cascade to take down both drive trains.

1 Like

Wheels compress while riding so, not sure just measuring will give me the right result. Iā€™ll ride my usual route and see the discrepancy in GPS and estimated distance based on measured dia.

Oh, I am using CAN, but, I believe, since the new vesc firmware uses a different CAN protocol so communication was broken upon loading the firmware to the Master VESC.

@b264 I prefer CAN over split PPM because of traction control. Once I am satisfied with my setup, I am going to remove all connectors and directly solder and conformal coat the whole thing. Canā€™t get any more reliable than that.

1 Like

I did the firmware upgrade over bluetooth on both escs. However, just in case what you describe happened, I did the slave vesc first and then the master. No need to open the enclosure at all that way.

2 Likes

Theyā€™ve tried bribing me to changing my plan multiple times. Lol

4 Likes

Cogging over locking only refers to ultra low speed. It the last few RPMs before complete stand still and it is not a wild cogging, but rather a little, hardly noticeable vibration.

The bad: The update ā€œbrokeā€ the metr.at app and only one motor shows. I hope @rpasichnyk will find a solution soon.

That is the downside of 3rd party apps and forks. Each time Benjamin pushes a major update, there is a lot of work to be done on the 3rd party side. This is unavoidable and the nature of a new release. If those Apps are closed source, the required code canā€™t be simply integrated, since that would make the closed source APP open source via the GPL license. If you want to make something closed source that interacts with OS-software you have to be quite careful not to use the OS-code in your software solution. Iā€™m not a software expert, but I can imagine that for some stuff it is gets hard at a certain stage.

Benjamin Vedder just dropped 20K+ lines of new code and that took him months to code. The new App will get frequent updates and that means that 3rd parties will need to invest even more time into updates, while the available features will get more similar.

I think VESC-Tool mobile is a big step forward, allowing to configure things with ease and get RT-data and have pairing to your device and have easy parallel FW updates, profiles etc.

4 Likes

This is the way to do it. Slave first, than master.

Wheels compress while riding so, not sure just measuring will give me the right result. Iā€™ll ride my usual route and see the discrepancy in GPS and estimated distance based on measured dia.

With regards to wheel diameter: If your tires are not super flat, the impact on the values will hardly be noticeable. Riding o dirt, wheel slip will impact the precision a lot more.

1 Like