All new 2019 VESC-Tool release

You need to reach out to David garlinge. David.garlinge at trampaboards dot com

If one VESC doesn’t connect we have two options:

a) Use the working VESC to re-flash the non working one. We call that SWD PROG. b) Swap the unit to a new one.

You can try SWD Prog first. Interconnect both VESCs via SWD Port (IO to IO, CLK to CLK and GND to GND only!). Cable no longer than 8cm. Power up both VESCs, connect to working VESC via USB. Open SWD PROG menu, hit connect, select VESC 6, click upload. Wait till device is flashed and give it some extra time. Now your VESC should work again.

Benjamin also has a Video about that procedure online. Search for his YouTube channel (Benjamin Vedder).

You can update the FW via the Phone App. No need to use a laptop. If you hit “upload all”, both VESC will get the latest FW. After update, you need to re-run the Wizards.

U prolly have can forward on

So this was a long time ago, but what fixed all issues for me was to just go back 1 version of vesc-tool and that solved everything. Using vesc-tool 0.94 now. the newer one just didnt seem to work.

3 Likes

Can anyone help me out setting up my new motors. Pretty new with the vesc tool and it got overwhelming really quick. Wasnt sure what size motor to pick so went with medium since everyone seems to use that. Then i got the numbers for motor max at 35.59 and -35.59. Why so low? Is it my battery? I have tb direct drives 90kv. (Running a generic 10s5p 396wh battery. Not sure of cells.dont think its 30q.dont know what bms is in it either.)

Her are results after setup. Would like to tweak it cause in mode 1 and 2 i couldn’t even go up my driveway. Mode 3 i was able but lets just say my ownboard goes up faster without problems even in mode 1. So yeah…would need help.

Ive set it at 40 and - 40 for now

Motor amps and battery amps work together to produce torque, so I advise better to find out what’s the cell specs of the battery is first then the guys here can give more solid advice :slight_smile:

Thats the issue i don know what the cells are. Its a 10s5p, 396wh. Without opening it i dont know. I kkow for sure its not 30q.

Just go for the settings that VESC-Tool suggests. You can up the Motor Amps a bit if you like. The suggested settings will drive the motor with less heat. The higher you go, the more heat issues you will get. All hub motors suffer from a vicious circle when it comes to overheating. The efficiency is very poor on those and inefficiency always goes into heat. It really depends on your weight, speed, hill climb etc. When you overstress the Battery, you will see noticeable voltage sag. In that case you can reduce Battery Amps to a point where voltage sag is less of a problem. If you have a discharge BMS in your pack, you want to limit Batt Amps below the BMS capabilities. If you run two motors, you have to adjust both ESCs by using CAN Forward. You also need to divide numbers by two.

BTW, there is new VESC-Tool release today.

1 Like

First of I love the while VESC project and all the time you and Benjamin is putting into it but I also wonder if there is a interest to use the knowledge of the community, there are developers and UX designers that could help push this to a even greater project if we all worked together.

From what I have read it more seems as Benjamin might want to continue to have it as his own project, I might be totally wrong here.

Feature request should be handled in a voting style if it’s users that can’t contribute but have ideas, easy to do with free services online and user could have three votes to vote for features. Users that are developers should make feature branches from the project repository and have them reviewed and merged when approved.

The tools UX is ok, it works but they need major overhauls. Design proposals should be made and implemented when the have been approved. They just serve a basic purpose with alot of inconsistence and soley done from a technical view.

This is of course if there is a joint interest in doing this from all involved parties. If not, totally fine and keep up the good work but would be great to iterate faster together :slightly_smiling_face::beers:

@trampa is there any way to drive only the slave motor? I tried a few things but no success so far, driving just the master is easy, just disable multiple escs over CAN

Lower the amps to zero on master.

I tried that but just remember that I had traction control on, so it didn’t work

Will try

It normally it would be on the label on the battery pack, have you tried looking for it on the label?

Worked, the trick is to lower just the battery amps and disable traction control

Would an Iphone version come out in the near future?

No, will not happen.

VESC-Tool 1.19 is out today. Smart Reverse is now implemented for PPM. It was originally a VESC-Wand feature, but Benjamin made it happen for PPM as well.

Minute 6:05 onwards:

6 Likes

Can someone tell me what tab the traction control setting is under? I saw it once upon a time but couldn’t find it again when I looked yesterday. I maybe blind but I spent like 15mins trying to find it.