All new 2019 VESC-Tool release

Mine got merged too :heart: after 16 months :slight_smile:

Can someone explain in more detail what is this new pairing feature?

Pairing done flag. If this flag is set, a bluetooth connection can only be made if the VESC Tool instance making the connection has been paired to this VESC. The pairing is done by storing the UUID of the VESC in the pairing list. :thinking: :confused:

Seems like this flag is only for VESC Tool? Not actually preventing any other apps to connect? Because pairing_done flag is not used at all in firmware code.

How is this supposed to be used?

1 Like

If the flag is set, you won’t be able to establish a connection with a random device/app. It blocks others from connecting and messing with your settings. VESC-Tool can store a list of UUIDs. The UUID must match to allow connection. The task is handled VESC side. You can pair multiple phones, tablets, computers to one VESC if you like.

You use the same feature to block your app to connect to a random NRF module, so it can’t be used with third party modules. The pairing feature of VESC FW is done the other way around. The hardware refuses connections from apps not knowing the UUID.

You will need to code a similar feature to allow your customers to connect to their VESCs in future. It is a matter of safety.

No it doesn’t. At least in the latest code Benjamin pushed on GitHub. This flag is not used. Have you seen it in action? Or is it just in your fantasy?

2 Likes

I have seen it action, locking myself out in a test. I think you have Benjamin’s phone number and email… Get in touch and sort it out.

@trampa did you ever try any other app than VESC Tool? Which one? :smile: I am curious how you locked yourself out, not Benjamin. Can you explain step by step? I think this is a very interesting feature

1 Like

I told you to get in touch directly with Benjamin to get first hand info. I introduced you to him. Just dial his number or send him a short message. He is surely the expert to contact, not me.

2 Likes

Why does the tool not allow for LiPo batteries as an option? It seems really strange to me that it has been left out of the options, as it directly impacts the battery percentage reading in the real time stats. Screenshot_20190224-112918

2 Likes

We will ad some battery features. Battery percentage is hard to calculate exactly, since there are many different chemeteries available. Even Lipos can be different, depending on brand and chemistry. The biggest difference between lipos and liion is not the voltage at a certain charge level, but the voltage sag under load.

Be sure to see some updates on this matter soon.

1 Like

Well the nominal and the Max voltage is the same. Even people agree the lowest cutoff to be 3.1, even though liion can go lower. So basically the default settings would be the same. That’s why there isn’t a lipo version.

1 Like

Not a good idea. They are different. Even the no load voltage represents different capacity levels. Only thing in common is 4.2V means 100%.

1 Like

@Ackmaniac True. But isn’t that true for different li-ions say VCT vs 25R? Then we should be asking for the exact cell type/characteristics?

In my opinion, coulomb counting is a good way to determine the SoC, given all vescs are talking to each other and there is nothing else that’s drawing significant current.

Don’t assume this…

Haha, yes. I said if they are talking to each other then…I know you don’t like them hooked up to the same receiver.

The other way is of course the bms giving SoC to the VESC. That would be ideal.

1 Like

You could probably interconnect the VESCs and have two receivers. This way you get tge data and redundancy.

Just bricked my 2xTrampa VESC6 via the Android App.

Did connect via Metr.Pro Module - selected can fwd id 1 to the slave - updated the firmware Did the same for the master and only get the message.

hmmm - not happy

4 Likes

Via App it still allows to upload a new firmware. But after waiting and reboot - it does not come up.

Try to upload the FW via USB. Try to connect via USB. The best way to upload FW wireless is directly using the VESC-Tool App via NRF module.

VESC Tool with limited connection - does inform about old firmware. Do update firmware - do wait 30sek - but the USB connection (windows tone) does not come.

After power off / power on the VESC6 comes back, I hear USB beep - and see the blue led, a short RED led, and blue stable led.

I did also to install a new bootloader. But still does not boot v3.48.

What am I doing wrong?

I can connect via VESC-Tool v0.95 - it still has v3.40 and my settings are still valid.

All is now done via W10 / USB

It seems I am in a kinda loop. Still v3.40 incl. settings.