Airplane/Heli 12S ESC for ESK8 - Success

brakes are overrated. My first build had no brakes at all, no drag brake either.

have none of you guys ever ridden skateboards? they don’t come with brakes but there are plenty of ways to stop them.

I admit that its pretty handy having a bit of brake here and there but I still rely on me more than my brakes.

3 Likes

Yeah I also don’t get it. I guess if you are going 25mph+ all the time, you will need em.

If I was going that fast all the time, I wouldn’t trust the motor for braking… maybe some 1/5 scale Baja HPI brakes would be better.

They do look similar to the ESCs we sell but different manufacturers end up copying other manufacturers as well.

I’ve had quite a few customers who have bought it and tried but they said no luck and/or didn’t let me know afterwards.

If you can fix the firmware that would be awesome for everyone :slight_smile:

@rmkao - PM me your order #. Most orders have been sent out. Let me know.

I think I may have found the way to go about flashing the ESC. Utilizing a Arduino Uno board as a USB programming device, a slight modification to the ESC itself, I should be able to flash the ESC with a more customizable firmware developed by SimonK. I’ve found his firmware already has the ability for “throttle and reverse; RC car functionality” whether or not this will enable braking as well I’m still researching.

Once I can fully develop this concept and get testing done I’ll write up a tutorial along with compatible high voltage plane/heli ESC’s.

Checked my order again last night, 5 minutes after I mentioned it, it changed to shipped. Thanks @torqueboards :blush:

3 Likes

I’ve had a 6S Heli ESC on my board for the last year. I made the exact same mod to my controller and it works fine. Not having an adjustable brake is annoying but I found a good setting (60% brake) that slows me quickly without throwing me off the board. Not being able to coast is the worst part.

My build had 245kv and 12t/36t, and the soft brake worked well with 77mm wheels, but switching to 15t motor pulley made the brakes totally useless on hard. Your SK3 has a longer can and thus more potential torque, but I’m running 10s, and I can almost guarantee that a 16t on 245kv with 8s will not have enough brake force even if you get the firmware flashed. Currently, I’m using 190kv (rspec) with 15T and my brakes are slightly better than the original because i have a wider belt and more teeth to grip, and the torque on this motor is impressive to say the least. Your top speed will be nice, but you will need plenty of room to slow down, so please be careful and consider a smaller gear!

I’m at 17/36t on a 245 SK3 6364 and it has a LOT of braking force, so it depends on the motor and the rider’s weight. I also have 90mm wheels.

Hi! is there any news, did you succeeded in flashing your esc? im interested because i bought this esc and i had no idea that it cant brake and dont have start mode “no move”)

@rmkao Did you make any progress with this ECS?

There is no point in buying this ESC. Just get TB’s 12S car ESC or a vesc… Trust me. Not worth the Hassel.

does tb ship to uk?

You should give BLHeli firmware a try too. I have a homebuilt scooter with an 80A blueseries ESC ( in fact 2 stacked 40A ) and it gave me much better results, there is much more parameters you can adjust and even put in some regen ( damped light ), unfortunately the blueseries does not support this feature. Using 6s and i am 100+ Kg. and it takes the punishment really well. With all that said, I DID buy a VESC to give it a try since it looks to be the norm around here and I NEED brakes :slight_smile:

How did you stack 2 x 40A blueseries ESC to get 80A?

I want to do that. But I cant find any instructions on it.

this is basically the same esc that fvt sell. try downloading the software from this link. Car and E_SkateBoard PC setup software_150606

http://www.szfvt.com/en/download-25-5-6-6.html

plug your esc in then if you get the software version pop into the window you should be able to progrm the brake.

@Geohan - Yes, we ship to UK.

they have holes that you can put pin headers between them in a stack. solder to both sides and you are good to go. In fact, many of the bigger escs are stacks of lesser current ones.

Are there any instructions online somewhere about this? I couldn’t find anything. When I google stacking escs, only thing that come up is ; how to physically place them next to each other, not power combining.

So this syncs ESCs to work together?

Can you share a link to any big ESC that is combination of smaller ones like that?

1 Like

For example, the post here suggests it will end up killing one of the ESCs due to target voltage difference. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2233888-SBEC-s-connected-in-parallel

1 Like

I will take mine apart and send you some pictures.