About Ronin trucks

Upsss sorry I forgot to replay… The hangers are 180mm and it happens front and rear. I have made some observations and I think that it might be what @Deckoz mentioned before which is the leverage because of top mount and much thicker deck than normal. Because of that I think I need to go with harder bushings than I would go on normal longboard deck. I have KranK Tall Barrels 90A board side but maybe I should move them road side and add some 93A board side (or 96A?) ?

2 Likes

Yea man…stiffer bushings :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve found on Ronin’s specifically at least for me running the harder bushing roadside feels much better. I run the older beverage series I think they changed formula, new bushings to bouncy. Fruit punch up front, rear dewedge -7° with horchata 98a roadside and ice tea 95a board side. Buzzed Amish precision washers, cupped roadside, flat boardside. Very turny setup with lots of lean but still stable 50km+.

1 Like

You guys see the new billet katanas? Gone even narrower again! (I got a production batch 1 set, basically a production version of Max Caps pro model). The widest set is now 154mm, narrowest 124mm! with three adjustable axles and a 5mm spacer. I’ll throw up a pic later… (of my set)

web site has the older model that was 144mm min. so 10mm has come off the hanger on each end (20mm all up).

1 Like

I would have been interested in the cast katanas if they were same width or wider than last generation. It’s kind of funny Ronin are getting narrower while e-skate trucks are getting wider 218-240mm.

Do you have picture of your billet Ronin setup?

IMG_20180820_173136

7 Likes

Fk that is sexy

I’m a bit surprised you don’t get billet machined washers with billet trucks. I suppose it’s just not needed…

they are stainless, plus the precision washers mess up the kingpin over time because the whole truck assembly is so tight. They wear groves and then have to be factory replaced, they glue them in with loctite…

1 Like

@cobber do you know if they changed the baseplates for the katana? @kug3lis is threatening to make ronin compatible hangars if enough interest is shown.

1 Like

No I don’t think so.

I’m a fan of ronin trucks, and while it’d be great to have a hanger & motor mounts… and I realize eSk8 has zero focus from ronin as they are all about racing…

They have created and refined their own tech, they even have a patent pending.

So i’m not sure how I feel about this? :thinking:

With a deeper shoulder on the axle stubs you could mount a motor to the existing design with out a IP conflict?

1 Like

Not sure what countries, you need to do a search. Def. in US.

2 Likes

The way I see it, it’s not really a clone but a mod. Like custom aftermarket handles for a knife, or a bolt on muffler.

This would open up ronins to motorization, as not many of us have machining capabilities to mod cronins accurately enough for a satisfying mount.

Also you’d still need to get the baseplate, pivot pin, etc. from ronin. And who knows, if there is enough of a market maybe ronin will address eskate market directly.

3 Likes

Sure if you buy a set of billet trucks & replace the hanger… now I have not a had a hard look at the patent. But I imagine the spirit of it to cover any skateboard truck system that uses a damped support pin.

It is a conundrum, personally i’d call or email Tony to start with. Ronin are not interested in wide trucks, but they are in racing. You never know if you pitch it to them as a eSk8 racing product with strict production parameters and maybe a royalty or something they might go for it… I can’t speak for them. There obviously needs to be something in it for them…

1 Like

I have a question regarding my searching for perfect trucks. Are those similar to Ronins? fyre-cnc-longboard-skateboard-trucks This support thing there is similar? Why Ronins are more popular? If anyone knows is there are any patents regarding those trucks? I’ll appreciate any advice!

1 Like

Fyre trucks are very different from Ronin trucks in that they remove all the load bearing responsibility from the bushing. This opens up a lot of possibilities to run much softer bushings than you normally would or could. You can actually ride them without bushings or just use a roadside bushing. Not recommended but it can be done. They can also automatically adjust to various height bushings within a reasonable range. We make both the front and rear pivots for them which makes them even better and a lot quieter. Really an amazing truck for the price although availability can be an issue if you want something other than common base plate angles or hanger widths.

4 Likes

They look amazing and as far as I remember there are no builds with them. I’m thinking about my own trucks for some time and I always thought that channel trucks are better because hanger can only move in two directions during turning. Than I thought that would be nice to make a channel truck and use standard bushings and I found MBS Vector to be very like construction that I had in mind.

user28_pic1335_

I tried to design something like that and after several attempts I ended with something that is like a clone of Liquid Fyre :tired_face: Now I’m not sure is it worth to go that route and design them, do the whole cam work, fixtures and cnc? Of course it would be a truck for esk8 (wide and with some integrated motor mounts) Please share you thoughts…

Thank you @Alphamail for your answer as always super helpful!

Also this is interesting http://wackyboards.blogspot.com/2009/09/double-pivot.html

1 Like

Your industry knowledge is astounding Brad :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

@LukePL when you say they can move in only two directions are you referring to being locked in, both front and back, disallowing any sway from the kingpin? In essence, the truck acts like a clevis joint?

1 Like

Yes exactly. Sorry lack of words with my “english” :blush:

1 Like