A word on DIY motor mounts

I am living in Singapore, so I got it milled locally here. Milling single piece is always very expensive about 180USD+. I milled several pieces, which is cheaper, some for my friends and planning to sell it locally later. Now I m just doing more testing on the mount before I start selling.

BTW, Singapore is a small place where everything has to be imported, and labor cost is very high as well. Milling in US should be much cheaper.

Just an idea - you might want to think about rounding those ground facing edges much more: If the mount becomes loose accidentally those edges will stick into the ground blocking the entire board and it might throw you off instantly. But maybe the size of the motor prevents this from happening, I don’t know.

1 Like

I too design my own mounts. Its a LOT cheaper. I have mine cnced from 1cm thick aluminum. The extra beef seems to work as a heat sink, which is always a plus.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. It was tested before. If the mount becomes loose, the two pieces of inner clamp parts will fall off, and the mount is kind of detached from the truck, so it won’t stick into the ground. Instead, the edge actually protects the motor from getting too much damage. This case happened before when I was using 3D printed material for the two inner clamp parts(it slips). After I switch to metal, it really bites like shark. Anyway, thanks a lot for the feedback. I will keep improving the design :slight_smile:

Their is a place in pittsbugh pa. Called atomatics and they have cnc mills and a water jet. They have always been nice to me. Here is their site http://www.atomatic-mfg.com/

Mount looks nice! Some suggestions since your using a pretty heavy motor. IMO your mount wont last too long. The thickness of the entire mount should be about 10mm not 6mm that will snap in half. Also some spots for the screw holes weaken the structure too much when not enough metal is left for support.

1 Like

What about Enertion’s carbon fiber plate, do you think that’s going to be a problem?

Never used them sorry. I don’t trust it enough to even try. Although i never heard anyone crack them, but they mostly used with smaller motors.