A theory on hill-climbing: MASSIVE 12s LIPO's, FOC, dual 6374, and the c-word

Actually, I misspoke. The performance IS WAY different. I think my belts would break before the acceleration :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Louie can’t keep up

1 Like

So for sure a noticable difference, any telemetry data?

1 Like

Telemetry data coming soon! Just have to find and fix my Bluetooth connector.

Just a preliminary test: batteries charged to 3.85-V/c. This data is from 1 of 2 independent controllers (servo-splitter). Depending on the accuracy of the information from the vesc monitor, I’m looking at what may be 69.8 amps from the batteries, and around 1.5 volts of sag! Looks good to me…

1 Like

So, after due consideration, I have decided to venture into the 12s Realm. What this means is 976.2 Watt hours, and I’m both excited and nervous.

The packs I will be using have different amounts of Cycles on them, so to keep that all balanced I will be implementing a best tech BMS. Soon after I have this working, I plan to venture into resin infusion carbon fiber for an enclosure!! At the very least this will be interesting

1 Like

bit late to the party :wink:

AMASS do a XT150 & a AS150, the latter have a larger bullet ratted to higher current…

I got some german cap banks on a pcb with a couple solder buckets on them. I think of them like insurance for my speed controllers and consistent Rx voltage to help limit the chance of a brown out. While I enjoy going fast I don’t enjoy crashing. So anything I can do… I do. & In a round about way the more battery you have the more ampacity you have, so you have more capacity for positive inductive current spikes and they are the ones that kill electronics.

1 Like

Holy smokes I missed all the recent action too. Pat what have you done lol.

Those poor little BMS with 50ma balancing capacity ain’t gonna make a dent in your huge lipos. I think. Maybe weeks to correct any significant out of balance? Don’t stop checking on the packs post-bms-installation.

12s will blow up your skirt for sure. Increasing voltage increases the ability to deliver amps. Everything gets more intense.

I keep just reading and fantasizing. I gotta do more building…

Photos please sir.

2 Likes

YGE caps 9 http://www.yge.de/en/accessories/

2 Likes

Well, the Hcx-D223V1 has 126mAh balance current, so maybe a little better. I don’t think the cells will drift too far out of balance, but I want to have consistent management to reign in the drift.

@Cobber what’s the farad count on those caps? I couldn’t agree more about them being an insurance policy. There’s no discernible downside to having them IMO. Maybe the space they occupy…? Lol that’s going to be an issue for me soon

Lol, yes, i feel that way far too often. How is your project going? Are you running those tattu’s yet?

not as big as yours dude

Modul Typ 9 • 9 pieces 390 µF ultra Low ESR Elkos • Operating voltage: Max. 63V (bis 15s LiPo) • Solder bucket for cables up to 8 mm² • Measurement: 23 x 66 x 33 mm

the rc guys add one cap of the above size per ~10cm of wire in your system: battery>esc

the smaller caps discharge faster, but yours have 8x capacity… lol :muscle:

1 Like

Haha!! I love overkill. I just love it. … the way this guy loves helmets:

4 Likes

I’m a commute boarder, and a bunch of commuter board projects have jumped the line. Don’t want to clutter this thread with unrelated non-overkill stuff.

Gonna study up (again) on the caps, but to be honest, I’m more interested in the high current PCBs and solder buckets. :slight_smile: One of the things I’ve been thinking about forever is how to do a bus bar for B+ and B-, so I can make everything modular, at least in the mule board.

1 Like

Maiden voyage on 12s FOC!! Nearly 1KWh😈

1 Like

Went out for a “midnight” (2am) run last night for some stress testing. Charged to 3.85 Volts/cell, the 12S config just RIPS. Like holy-f*ck it’s unreal. I can’t even top it out because it’s too scary lol.

Initially, it appears that at the higher voltage, I draw 5 or 6 less batt Amps per vesc on the same 20%incline run (Hill st. San Diego). Makes sense though, now that I think about it. Same Watts at higher volts = less current. Pretty interesting.

The sweetest thing about the AS150 connectors, which I use for all battery side connections, is the modularity of the pack. Takes about 5min to go 8s to 12s or back to 8 (not sure I’ll ever go back tho).

The thing is up to 31lbs now, HAHAHA

2 Likes

How many batt amps are you pulling per ESC on that hill climb?

This data is on a per-motor config, so double the amps for the actual number

That was last night on 12S Here’s some data from 8S on the same hill IIRC

1 Like

So i have some data. Dual 6374 190kv 18/36 on 107mm. Batteries are 8ah 25-50c on 12s. I did have some voltage sag towards the end at top speed but I guess one important thing to note while climbing this hill was the temps which were increasing quick. It’s dual FOCBOX mounted on an aluminum plate with heat transfer paste not enclosed yet so exposed to the wind. For sure your batteries can handle the amps but the ESC will be your limiting factor I think. Data is per FocBox. Currently speed wobbles is the limiting factor.

1 Like

Update: I did something really negligent a couple weeks ago. I left my board powered on for a day or two, and went out for a hard ride without checking my battery voltage. Started hitting my battery cutoff about a mile away from home, and when I got back I had 2 cells at about 2.86 volts. After freaking out for a few minutes I got my s*** together, and attempted to balance them back to good standing. At first I was having trouble balancing them, but they’re actually back in line with each other. I thought I had ruined about $1,200 worth of batteries, but for now they seem okay.

Additionally, I decided to transplant all of the mechanical and electrical items on to another deck which was donated to me by @Namasaki . The flat deck, vs the drop deck that I was using seems to accommodate this gigantic 12s configuration fairly well while the other deck is in the shop for an overhaul.

All at the same time, I have ventured into experimenting with vacuum resin infusion. My goal is to make brackets to hold the batteries to the deck so I can get rid of these straps. It is my hope that the carbon fiber brackets will prove strong enough to prevent the vibration that these huge batteries create when I hit large bumps. Photos to follow

6 Likes

The Beast!

1 Like